Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DirecTV No Longer Allowing a Mix of HD and SD For New Customers?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

DirecTV doesn't charge extra for a second receiver to watch on. The first 2 units are $6 (or was it changed?) on your account.

It's still the same for additional tvs. The first one is free, every additional is $6.

I Think its all B.S. Dish had the Dual Reciever that 2 people could watch different channels at once and the second was never extra ! And DTV and its 5 tuner unit is looking to really rip off people of ther hard earned money ! :mad:

Yes, and you could only have HD on one television with that setup as well.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,267 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

I Think its all B.S. Dish had the Dual Reciever that 2 people could watch different channels at once and the second was never extra ! And DTV and its 5 tuner unit is looking to really rip off people of ther hard earned money ! :mad:

Thats not really the truth. Dish has two tuner DVRs that can be shared between two tv's. One tuner each. A DVR fee. Whats left.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#43 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

I don't know if they still do this but at one point the had the BS charge for $5 if it wasn't connected to phone line that only applied to dual tuner receivers. So while this didn't apply to everyone it was a BS trick charge to get people to pay for 2nd rooms.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#44 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Even if you get the SD receivers, since local channels are pretty much a basic programming staple, won't your parents find the three SD receivers unable to receive any local channels on those SDTV sets annoying?

They wouldn't get SD equipment. They don't install SD equipment at all in MPEG4 markets. The ordering system would automatically change it to an HD receiver, but you would get it at the SD price. So I used to be able to order a genie and 3 clients, and 3 sd receivers for free. If I would have went through with the order the tech actually would have showed up and installed the genie, 3 clients, and 3 HD receivers (because the SD receivers would have been replaced with HD ones automatically).

Now I can't do this anymore, since I can't order SD receivers on a new account with HD service. DirecTV closed my loophole :icon_cry:

The satellite companies have always charged a fee for each additional viewing location, it isnt due to the box, its a mirrored programming fee, so leasing or owning your receivers has never ever been part of it. I believe it has something to do with the way they have their contracts negotiated with the content providers, meaning the carriage agreements with stations. I much prefer this method to having to pay a full subscription price for each location in my house like they could charge.

But like I said, why should I have to pay to "mirror" the content to 6 RVU clients, when I can really only mirror it to 3 at any time. I say give me the first 3 RVU clients for free, and charge $6/month to mirror to those three. Then let me pay $100 each for the other three, but don't charge me the $6/month on them. I would be ok with that, but no, DirecTV still wants to charge the $6/month for those other three, even though I can't use all 6 at once. I understand charging it for HD receivers, since they could still watch live TV even when the HR34 is streaming out to 3 other units. But with the clients, if you are already using 3 of them, the other three are essentially doorstops.

It's even more irratating with other RVU clients. If I had a house with 6 RVU TVs in it, why should I have to pay DirecTV $6/month for all six of them? DirecTV isn't even "leasing" me the hardware then, it is all my own. And they are only "mirroring" the content to three of them, so in my opinion there is definitely no justification for charging for all 6 RVU TVs.

Edited by Beerstalker, 15 March 2013 - 10:00 AM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#45 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,021 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Either pay it or don't ... Life isn't always fair. Your parents apparently want all the TVs, so it'll cost you. You can have your opinion for no justification, but it's not changing.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#46 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:14 PM

Quite honestly, since an HR34 can only serve 3 RVU clients at once, should they allow more than 3 RVU clients per HR34? This would apply to C31's or any RVU capable tv's as well. It brings up an interesting point don't you think? Its quite obvious that Direct's pricing model isnt something that works for you or you want to participate in, why do you stay?

#47 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:31 PM

Quite honestly, since an HR34 can only serve 3 RVU clients at once, should they allow more than 3 RVU clients per HR34? This would apply to C31's or any RVU capable tv's as well. It brings up an interesting point don't you think? Its quite obvious that Direct's pricing model isnt something that works for you or you want to participate in, why do you stay?

Why shouldn't they allow more than 3 RVU clients? 6 RVU clients would work fine for my parents as it is highly unlikely that they would ever need to have TVs on in more than 4 locations at any one time, so they would most likely never run into an issue with not having a stream available. I just disagree with the practice of charging for all 6 since if they tried to use all 6 at once they wouldn't be able to, so why should they have to pay to mirror the programming to all 6, when it would be impossible to watch the programming on all 6.

As far as DirecTV as a whole goes it works great for me and I am very happy with them. I think their service and equipment is way better than the competition. That is why I am with them, and why I would like to get my parents switched over to them.

However, this is one area that annoys me, and I think DirecTV needs to reconsider. I know it is unlikely to happen, but I feel like if enough people complained about this and brought it to DirecTV's attention they may consider changing their current practice. But the fact that most people tend to just roll over and go with it anymore means that it probably won't happen, but it doesn't hurt to at least bring it up and try.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

Protected By... spam firewall...And...