Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

7 tvs in house?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:49 AM

Wifes house has 7 tvs. 2 hooked to 211s and 5 hooked to cable. Want to get rid of cable.
1. She has no hardwired phone or internet in house
2. Single RG-6 Cables run from each tv to box on side of house.
3. Dish is on ground beside that box.
4. She is only person in house so same program on all TVs would be ok.
5. Probably can't record on the 211s and will probably do very little recording.

Since she doesn't need internet access on the receivers and only one channel on all tvs, what are the options. Would like HD to all or most of the TVs.
Considered a 722 or even a 211 with a 8 way HDMI splitter on output 1, but would require running HDMI to all TVs. Too much work. Would also need 6 RF remotes.
2- Hoppers and 6 joeys seems overkill both financially and technologically.
Am I overlooking any other simple options?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   davejacobson

davejacobson

Legend

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

The needed HD to the tvs is the issue. That requires either HDMI or a reciever at the tv. If you only needed HD to say 2 TVs then 2 722s would fit the bill. Are all the tvs bigger than 32in? HD may look alittle better on the 26in and smaller but is it worth the cost? Modulated TV2 output from the 722 is maybe all you need
A good serviceman is not expensive or free. He is priceless

#3 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,225 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

4. She is only person in house so same program on all TVs would be ok.

Am I overlooking any other simple options?

Its pricey upfront but an HD Channel modulator would be a good solution, she could send the same channel to all HDTVs from the 211 (via HD component out) with simply existing coax cables connected to the other TVs (all would need a digital QAM tuner built in, which most recent TVs since about 2005 have them) but no extra monthly fees and all would be 720p HD resolution.

http://www.zeevee.com/products/zvbox (Zvbox160 would probably be sufficient)

OR

http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004VFFXC0

5. Probably can't record on the 211s and will probably do very little recording.

If you purchase an External Hard Drive and pay a one time $40 fee the 211 becomes a single tuner DVR with no additional monthly fees.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#4 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:24 PM

Can the 211 be controlled via RF remotes from other rooms? Or is it just IR?
Thanks for the idea. Might work.

#5 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

For what ever it is worth I will pass along what I have here at home. I have a DISH 722k with the optional over the air tuner. A few years back, when I upgraded from two 811s, I got a 622 because of the TV 1 and TV 2 feature. The original install was only connected to two TVs. Sometime later, when I realized that more TVs could be connected, I started running more RG-6 around the house for BOTH DISH AND over the air. Then I bought some additional remote controls from Ebay. Right now I can watch either TV 1, TV 2, or over the air on at least 7 TVs in my home. Two in the basement, three on the first floor, and two on the second floor. Several of my TVs also serve as computer monitors and have the Picture In Picture (PIP) function. That way I can surf the web and watch TV simultaneously. (I bought some extra digital to analog converter boxes a few years back, too.)

Anyway, with this set up, a person in my home can watch whatever is selected on TV 1, TV 2, or anything locally over the air. With four of us in my immediate family, there are times in which my wife is watching something on TV 1, boys are watching something on TV 2, and I will watch something else over the air.

I don't know much about the 211, but the TV 2 function on my 722k is controlled by a UHF remote control and they work throughout the house. TV 1 is infrared. I seem to recall that there is even an optional accessory to change from IR to UHF or vice-versa.

Oh, and on a side note, I have both a Sling Adapter and a Sling PRO-HD. The Sling PRO-HD is essentially for TV 1 and the Sling Adapter is for TV 2. Sling gives other additional flexibility to watch on a tablet, laptop, or desktop computer!

#6 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 856 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:24 AM

Can the 211 be controlled via RF remotes from other rooms? Or is it just IR?
Thanks for the idea. Might work.

No place on the back to install the little antenna for an RF remote so it would appear that they are IR only.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...