Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Preparation for equipment upgrade

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

Current stuff: Slimline 5/4 wire LNB to WB68 multiswitch to 4 HDDVRs (2-HR21s, 1-HR22, 1-HR23). I want to go to a HR34 or 44 and 3 clients. In the little research I've done, there appears to be 2 ways I can prep for this.

1) Connect existing 4 LNB wires to a SWM8, then to a SWS-8 (power insertion at that point), then one cable to each device.

2) Replace 4 wire LNB with single wire LNB to a SWS-8 (power insertion at that point), with one cable to each device.

Accessibility and mobility are no problem for me (even at 61), so I'm looking for the most efficient configuration that will be able to offer all the goodies the new equipment will be capable of. I don't see adding any more TVs, as my wife and I are the only ones here. Am I OK so far?

If so, here are some other things I'd like to do in the process. The ATT modem/router is located where the 34/44 would be placed, so I plan ethernet connection between the two (yeah, read threads about DECA/CCK/DTV installer requirements). OTA is currently wired to each of the 4 TVs on a separate configuration, but I would like to add an AM21 at the 34/44; full accessibility at all clients for internet/OTA?

Am I OK with my pipe dream thus far? If not, any and all suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
"You gonna love it to death, baby!"

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

If you order from DIRECTV then they will make the changes for you, no prep work necessary. They'll probably replace your current LNB with a SWiM8 LNB, but you never know. My brother in law got a HR34 and while he'd be at the 8 tuner limit the tech just installed a SWiM16.

If you put an AM21 on the Genie then yes all the client will be able to access the OTA channels. But remember you're still limited to 5 concurrently active channels, aka two OTA channels being used then you can use only 3 DBS tuners for live TV or recordings.

And yes the tech will most likely want to install a CCK for the internet connection. You can always let them do it and once they leave remove it and use the ethernet port on the Genie.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#3 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

If you order from DIRECTV then they will make the changes for you, no prep work necessary. They'll probably replace your current LNB with a SWiM8 LNB, but you never know.

Thank you for your reply. Is there a particular phone number at DTV where I might be more likely to reach a tech or tech-oriented CSR when discussing this order, or am I stuck with the automated roulette system? I thought I had such a number from years ago, but search through my documentation collected over the years as I might, I haven't found it.

#4 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,993 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 07 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

Thank you for your reply. Is there a particular phone number at DTV where I might be more likely to reach a tech or tech-oriented CSR when discussing this order, or am I stuck with the automated roulette system? I thought I had such a number from years ago, but search through my documentation collected over the years as I might, I haven't found it.

AFAIK you're stuck, you just end up with the next CSR in the available queue. And they really don't have any control over what is actually on the order. My understanding is that their computer system knows what you do or don't have installed and it generates the actual work order that goes to the tech. The CSR can make a notation in the comments but that really doesn't do anything, just ask the folks that were told they would be getting a HR24 for a new HD DVR and end up with a refurb HR21.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#5 OFFLINE   Wolfmanjohn

Wolfmanjohn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 06:07 AM

A 21 when I was expecting a 24!? Somehow, that sounds kind of more-than-once familiar!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...