Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New dish to be mounted on DirecTv mst

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MGotcha

MGotcha

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:16 PM

I am getting ready to change from DirecTV to Dish and do not want anymore more lag screws put into my flat roof. The 2 yr old DirecTv (slimline) mount already has a number of lags into my roof that I have finally gotten to not leak and is firmly stablized with 2 additional support struts. I cannot find an adapter online that will sip over the 2" OD mount so that the (1-5/8) Dish can mount onto. Stuffing a 1-5/8 mast piece into the DirecTV mast would probably work, but it seems like someone would have a nice 2" ID to 1-5/8 OD adapter (gee.. maybe a muffler shop??) Does such a thing exist for this purpose?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 08:41 PM

search on ebay there usually is someone selling adapters from Directv to DISH. Usually they are 1 5/8" with a slot cut in them and two 1/4 x 20 bolts to lock them in place.

#3 OFFLINE   MGotcha

MGotcha

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:30 AM

Thanks for the recommendation. I saw these online and thought they were just for clamping onto much larger masts and pipes, typical of the older large sat dishes of the 80's. Seems like it would work but something that just slipped over the existing 2"OD would be much "cleaner"

#4 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:46 AM

Regarding lags, I predrill recommended size, but in the lag bolt, take out the lag bolt, shoot hole full of 50 year RTV and put the lag back in.

So far, so good. I use bishop tape too.

LOL, saw a 5LNB KaKU LNB sealed up with Bishop tape a few days ago, funny looking critter. Installer says moisture infiltration is killing LNBs as fast as they can replace them.

#5 OFFLINE   vapor21

vapor21

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

Regarding lags, I predrill recommended size, but in the lag bolt, take out the lag bolt, shoot hole full of 50 year RTV and put the lag back in.

So far, so good. I use bishop tape too.

LOL, saw a 5LNB KaKU LNB sealed up with Bishop tape a few days ago, funny looking critter. Installer says moisture infiltration is killing LNBs as fast as they can replace them.

Only reason I can think of why this is happening is because for some dumb reason some installers remover the weather bushing from the LNB. The reason they do it its because its easier to screw on the connector. Its there for a reason people, dont remove it. They do it to splitters, barrels and even 6x8s.:nono2:

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

Bishop tape was around the feed horn cover seams (all 3!) and the little bolts holding the 99/101/103 feedhorn on the housing.

I've seen a few with RTV smeared all over them too. More than 1 D* installer in area is doing it.

#7 OFFLINE   brewsky

brewsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

Flat roof???....why wasnt the dish installed on a non pen roof mount in the first place??....geeze those dtv installers

Protected By... spam firewall...And...