Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgraded box, installed left old equip?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:58 AM

Hey guys. I just took advantage of an offer to upgrade our old SD box, a D12, the last SD in our house. Upgraded to HDDVR.
The installer left the old D12 box at our house. I called him later to ask if he needed to come get it and he said not to worry about it. Is DirecTV no longer wanting these boxes back?

Choice XTRA Classic / Whole-Home DVR
Connected Home
HR24-100 / HR24-200 / HR22-100
Slimline SL5 W/ SWM ODU

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,175 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

Hey guys. I just took advantage of an offer to upgrade our old SD box, a D12, the last SD in our house. Upgraded to HDDVR.
The installer left the old D12 box at our house. I called him later to ask if he needed to come get it and he said not to worry about it. Is DirecTV no longer wanting these boxes back?

Call DIRECTV to make sure, but even if they say keep it, I'd advise you to still carefully hold on to it for at least around six months just in case.

For instance just last year I had an R16 SD-DVR (my last SD box) replaced by an HD-DVR and DIRECTV CS told me (twice actually) I could keep it. Then over a month later or so I found my bill slapped with a $175.00 un-returned equipment fee and some DIRECTV equipment recovery dept. on the east coast calling me asking where the R16 is? :rolleyes:

They provided a return kit and credited my bill so all ended well, but lesson learned to be careful of the "you may keep it" claims anyhow.

#3 OFFLINE   Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they'll send me a return kit. I have no need for keeping the D12 box anyway. :)

Connected Home
Slimline SL5 W/ SWM ODU

#4 OFFLINE   Rent_Share

Rent_Share

AllStar

• Registered
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:59 AM

From the abundance of them on eBay (and prior comments in here) Directv is now considering the H20 HR20 H21 and HR21 as non recoverable.

Many of the CSR's are clueless as to what non-recoverable actually means, and do a very poor job of explaining to subscribers and ex-subscribers.

A cannot imagine them wanting a D12 Standard Receiver back

Dish Slimline-5 WB68 MRV Enabled (Non Supported) Cat 5
HR20-100 - HR21/100 - HR23-700 - Not Networked DSR708 SD

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:44 AM

Continuing mystery why that is such a confusing question for the CSRs.

$175 is a considerable amount for most folks. Wonder what the phone notes and/or account notation says on that transaction??

These snafus are, IMO a big driver in driving customers to go crazy.

#6 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,485 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:56 AM

Thanks for the reply. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they'll send me a return kit. I have no need for keeping the D12 box anyway. :)

If they say that you don't need to return it, ask them to send that to you in an email, so you have proof, should someone else later decide that you should have been required to return it.

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

I retired my D10 for a HDDVR back in 2009. To date DirecTV has yet to ask for it's return.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 08:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Didn't have time to contact DirecTV today to ask about it. I will call them in the morning. I'm hoping they do want it back because I'd rather not be left with deciding what to do with it (E-waste?) only to have DTV come back at some point in the future wanting it...
If they do not want it, I will do as suggested above and request an email stating such.

Thanks again!

Connected Home
Slimline SL5 W/ SWM ODU

#9 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:14 AM

And then we have the continuing mystery of the unwanted for return receivers that still work just fine that would be great on a TV in the kids room or the garage TV and D* won't activate them . . .

:eek2:

#10 OFFLINE   ryanh9992

ryanh9992

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:23 PM

A D12 is only recoverable in leased deactivations only, not in equipment replace situations. However the latter is usually for defective receivers. I would definitely call DirecTV.
DirecTV Technical Support
My opinions and comments herein are of my own and in no way represent those of my employer

#11 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

D12-100, 300 & 700 are recoverable after upgrade or account disconnect. It appears that they would not be recovered if they failed and had to be replaced via ERP. You will likely have to return the unit. Techs generally do not recover units that are replaced via upgrade probably because that creates even more potential for erroneous charges to be accrued.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#12 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

From the abundance of them on eBay (and prior comments in here) Directv is now considering the H20 HR20 H21 and HR21 as non recoverable.

Many of the CSR's are clueless as to what non-recoverable actually means, and do a very poor job of explaining to subscribers and ex-subscribers.

A cannot imagine them wanting a D12 Standard Receiver back

I had a defective HR21-200 replaced just a few weeks ago and a return shipment label was included for the recovery of the unit. I was also told by the CSR who ordered the replacement that I would be required to return the defective unit.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#13 OFFLINE   ryanh9992

ryanh9992

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

HR21s and above are recoverable, also H23s and above are recoverable.
My opinions and comments herein are of my own and in no way represent those of my employer

#14 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:48 PM

HR21s and above are recoverable, also H23s and above are recoverable.

I'm sure DirecTV can change their mind but I disconnected my service almost a year ago and my HR-21 ended up being non-recoverable. Took a couple calls to find someone who told me that, first one said they'd send another box, and they must have been right since I haven't been billed for not returning it.

#15 OFFLINE   ryanh9992

ryanh9992

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'm sure DirecTV can change their mind but I disconnected my service almost a year ago and my HR-21 ended up being non-recoverable. Took a couple calls to find someone who told me that, first one said they'd send another box, and they must have been right since I haven't been billed for not returning it.

You are correct. They used to be non recoverable, why they have them recoverable now is beyond me.

#16 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

When I got an upgrade last year I asked my installer if he would take my old boxes to recycle (old DirecTivos). He would not. It just seems that DirecTV could provide that service instead of me having to haul them to Best Buy. Just saying!

#17 OFFLINE   Bluegrassman

Bluegrassman

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:16 PM

Update: D12-700 IS recoverable at least in upgrade situations.

Called Direct. They said a return order should've automatically been generated when I ordered the upgrade, but for some reason it did not. Recovery kit now on the way.
Thanks for everyone's input. I'm glad I took your advice and called them.

Connected Home
Slimline SL5 W/ SWM ODU

#18 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 918 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

Techs generally do not recover units that are replaced via upgrade probably because that creates even more potential for erroneous charges to be accrued.

This is 100% incorrect technicians should recover ALL receivers that are deactivated during an upgrade, service call, etc.... The make and model does not matter DTV has a scrap process for older models that are not refurbished the access card is scanned for any unbilled charges and then the access card in most cases is reused.

#19 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:15 PM

Your not kidding about reused access cards. I have seen more than one pretty strongly discolored from heat in 'new' (read that 'refurbed') boxes.

Saw a refurb sticker on a DISH splitter once, maybe that was a joke, or they just put the sticker there to indicate the receiver is a refurb? I dunno, but it was pretty funny to think about how tight with a nickel management would have to be to be refurbing $1.25 splitters, LOL.

#20 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

This is 100% incorrect technicians should recover ALL receivers that are deactivated during an upgrade, service call, etc.... The make and model does not matter DTV has a scrap process for older models that are not refurbished the access card is scanned for any unbilled charges and then the access card in most cases is reused.

Should. yes. Do? Not so much. I take these calls day and day out and generally see recoveries only during service calls, but then again techs generally can't call in anymore so I seldom speak to them anymore. I order a LOT of recovery kits for irds replaced by upgrade so 100%? I can't say that is correct. and DirecTV having a scrap process for irds it does not want to redeploy is news to me.

I send the recovery envelopes for the access cards as a fulfillment item.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...