Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Roku 3 now available

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 08 March 2013 - 11:01 AM

The folks over at Roku have released a new high end version of their streaming player - Roku 3. It's now available direct or at Amazon for $99.99.
http://www.amazon.co...rd_i=B005CLPP84

Notable changes: Only HDMI output (Composite output is gone). Has headphone jack (earbuds included). 7.1 audio now available. New, more intuitive interface. Lots more channels available.
The new software interface will become available in April for previous models.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,599 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 08 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

From what I've read on IPTV Connection the older Roku boxes are slated to receive the new software next month.

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#3 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

Will have mine tomorrow. :)

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 08 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

I find myself using my Roku less, originally I didn't think I would use the features in my tv, but after Amazon video was down twice on Roku, I just kept using the TV. Now only seem to use my Roku for TWIT on occasion when I have it on live.

#5 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,237 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:01 PM

My Roku 2 HD provides a frequent and welcome escape from banality of regular tv. The '3' is an interesting advance.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#6 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

From what I've read on IPTV Connection the older Roku boxes are slated to receive the new software next month.

I also read that somewhere.

Oh yeah, the first post.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

My Roku 2 HD provides a frequent and welcome escape from banality of regular tv. The '3' is an interesting advance.

Just bought one 2 weeks and sent it back today. Must be the fifth one I've bought and either sold or sent back. One thing Cholly didn't mention was no optical out port. Aside from that, it's just the same old thing.

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:27 PM

a half of the month is gone, but Roku2 XD is still running old version 4.9 and no update found :(

#9 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 4,435 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 12 April 2013 - 06:19 PM

Just bought one 2 weeks and sent it back today. Must be the fifth one I've bought and either sold or sent back. One thing Cholly didn't mention was no optical out port. Aside from that, it's just the same old thing.

Rich

To my knowledge, NO model Roku has an optical out port. Only composite A/V and HDMI.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Sony KDFE-55A20 55" LCD RPTV; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVoRoamio Plus, LG BH200 HD DVD/Blu-ray player via HDMI to AVR
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#10 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:35 AM

To my knowledge, NO model Roku has an optical out port. Only composite A/V and HDMI.

I have one of the earliest Rokus somewhere in the house, can't find it, but you're probably right. How does a Roku just disappear? Looked ev...found it! It's a Roku XR and it does have an optical port. Also has component and composite jacks and HDMI and S-Video ports. And a USB port. While I was searching the house, I also found my 13' HDMI cable that I've been looking for.

Rich

#11 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:39 AM

a half of the month is gone, but Roku2 XD is still running old version 4.9 and no update found :(

Have patience. Do you know if the Roku XR will get the update? I read an article about which models would get the update, but I don't remember if the XR is one of them.

Rich

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,757 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

Lets wait ... when Roku2 will get new v5, then we will dig into your XR model :).

#13 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,398 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:56 PM

Lets wait ... when Roku2 will get new v5, then we will dig into your XR model :).

Just got a call from Roku support. The download will be between the middle of April to the middle of May. The XR will be upgraded according to the CSR.

Rich

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 April 2013 - 07:35 AM

Very cool, some of the very early Roku buyers have been getting packages from Roku with a Roku 3. Of course some have already upgraded, but a nice gift from Roku.

#15 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:11 AM

If the Roku 3 could support connecting to another PC via Remote Desktop, it would a an absolute PERFECT device for me...  As it is, it's SO tempting...

#16 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

DJ, it's a great little device. Combine it with a home server running Plex or PlayOn (or both) and you're in heaven.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#17 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:09 PM

DJ, it's a great little device. Combine it with a home server running Plex or PlayOn (or both) and you're in heaven.

Can Plex stream big 1080p files?

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#18 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 19 April 2013 - 04:16 AM

I have Plex running as a server on my big Win 8 Pro machine (with the 18TB Storage Spaces array).  I remote-desktop into that machine to do all the downloading, backups, etc.  Removing the need to have a PC in my home entertainment center to access a PC (for all the above plus net surfing) would be an instant buy.  I'm guessing someone would have to figure out how to add a wireless keyboard/mouse to the Roku.

#19 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 01:19 PM

Can Plex stream big 1080p files?

I don't have any issues with them. You can swap your playback options in the client from Transcode to Direct Stream. That's more a function of your network than the Roku.

I have Plex running as a server on my big Win 8 Pro machine (with the 18TB Storage Spaces array).  I remote-desktop into that machine to do all the downloading, backups, etc.  Removing the need to have a PC in my home entertainment center to access a PC (for all the above plus net surfing) would be an instant buy.  I'm guessing someone would have to figure out how to add a wireless keyboard/mouse to the Roku.

I just use 2X Client on my Xoom. A bit faster, and free RDP clients are hard to come by.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,653 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 April 2013 - 07:07 PM

End of May for Roku 2.

http://www.engadget....e-in-message-t/

spam firewall