Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

is it time to buy?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   flatus

flatus

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

I've been watching prices of dish receivers at some online retailers and the prices have gone down dramatically. I have 2 522's (running in single mode).

The 612s are going for $99. Hoppers for 199. Is there some new receiver about to be released?

I really dont care about HD. I would like the extra storage space the 612 offers and to get rid of the one leased receiver i have now.

Would it be worth it? I have read about the 612 being flaky-- has it been fixed?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

How many years old is your information? DISH about a year ago introduced the Hopper and Joey receivers. About a month ago they released the Hopper with Sling. VIP 612/622/722 & 722K are now better than 3 years old and have been debugged and rebugged and debugged again over that time frame.

Make sure any receiver you "BUY" is not leased or carrying an outstanding balance. Most of the bargins aren't.

#3 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 10:22 PM

I also don't know why people won't lease unless they do not want to be under contract. Also, a couple of the prices in the OP are upgrade lease fees, cost to buy receivers may be higher if going through retailers.

#4 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

I also don't know why people won't lease unless they do not want to be under contract. Also, a couple of the prices in the OP are upgrade lease fees, cost to buy receivers may be higher if going through retailers.

I agree leasing is a cheaper way to go, Ownership dosen't give you much for the money spent. OP now has a 522 that is a boat anchor resale value is almost nothing.

#5 OFFLINE   flatus

flatus

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

I also don't know why people won't lease unless they do not want to be under contract.

I prefer to buy, I'm sorry if that bothers you. I have been purchasing my receivers since the model 4000 (apart from the snafu that left me with one leased 522)
Although I really do not have anything against leasing, I am not going to get forced into autopay, or any of the other strings that come attached with dish's upgrades. I'm like that.

Also, a couple of the prices in the OP are upgrade lease fees, cost to buy receivers may be higher if going through retailers.

This is the place I was looking at. http://www.dishdepot...h_receivers.jsp

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

I prefer to buy, I'm sorry if that bothers you. I have been purchasing my receivers since the model 4000 (apart from the snafu that left me with one leased 522)
Although I really do not have anything against leasing, I am not going to get forced into autopay, or any of the other strings that come attached with dish's upgrades. I'm like that.

You better verify those are purchase prices. I saw nothing to show those weren't lease prices.

#7 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,166 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

In my opinion (and I am not trying to influence anyone toward it), the only reason I can see to buy is to not be put under a contract which is something you state you do not want. That explains it, enough said. Being under contract does not force you into auto pay, the only thing that would force it is to not pay for the HD add on package, it shouldn't effect you since with only 522 receivers, you do not have a receiver to use the channels on. The only thing you may be missing is some of the freebies that leasing can give you. You may get some but you don't get them all. If you are looking to upgrade your receiver, I would look at the 722 (or 722k if you have OTA) and forgo the 612, I had one and it had problems the entire time I had it, the 722 is much more stable.

#8 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

At this time, the 612 is very stable, has been for quite sometime. I have three with virtually no problems.
One caveat. They do need to be cooled by a small fan if they are not in the open.

I and I know others have upgraded with no contract extension. I paid installation and a one time charge for the third receiver. Why not ask first before spending money on one.

#9 OFFLINE   n0qcu

n0qcu

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:35 PM

The prices at Dishdepot ARE purchase, You will OWN it.

I agree its better to buy and own rather than lease.
Kevin

3 Hoppers
3 Joeys, all wireless
1 Hopper 2.0
YES, all Hoppers can see the recordings on any Hopper.

#10 OFFLINE   knot

knot

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

I agree. I have been purchasing since my first 2800 receiver. I enjoy doing my own installing and troubleshooting.

#11 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

I have a 612 boxed and sitting in my garage doing nothing. I could sell it for $79 plus shipping. It was used mildly for about a year.
PM me if interested.

#12 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,933 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

I really dont care about HD.

Weather or not you have an HDTV having an HD STB is an asset. HD STB's can output to SD TV's with a better PQ than any SD STB could ever deliver. Also there are a few HD only channels on the air today that can only be seen with an HD STB. Someday in the not too distant future most SD versions of channels will get shut off for good.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#13 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,934 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 11 March 2013 - 09:38 AM

I agree its better to buy and own rather than lease.

Do you have any compelling reasons you would be willing to share or is it just a matter of principle?

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#14 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

One benefit of NOT leasing - if you have receiver(s) that you only need to use part-time, you can turn them on & off at will to save money. Can't do that w/leased receivers... ;)

#15 OFFLINE   ts7

ts7

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:53 PM

One benefit of NOT leasing - if you have receiver(s) that you only need to use part-time, you can turn them on & off at will to save money. Can't do that w/leased receivers... ;)

True, but what is the monthly receiver cost? Depending on the purchase price and how often you turn it off , it could take quite some time to recoup your investment if that is the only reason you purchase rather than lease. However if you purchase for other reasons, this icing on the cake. :)

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,934 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

The Protection Plan is a financial disincentive to owning (unless you foolishly believe that you're owned equipment is too good to fail). The other bit of flawed logic is that owned equipment necessarily has a high resale value in a market saturated with leased equipment.

The ability to start and stop service as dishrich points out along with a very obscure property tax advantage (only where property taxes on leased equipment are higher than on owned) are the two seldom visited reasons I see in favor of owning.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

At this time, the 612 is very stable, has been for quite sometime. I have three with virtually no problems.
One caveat. They do need to be cooled by a small fan if they are not in the open.

I and I know others have upgraded with no contract extension. I paid installation and a one time charge for the third receiver. Why not ask first before spending money on one.

tampa,

How much was the installation and one time charge?

That's interesting, because any harware upgrade [ either provider] puts you under contract, or so I've been told.

#18 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

tampa,

How much was the installation and one time charge?

That's interesting, because any harware upgrade [ either provider] puts you under contract, or so I've been told.

If you own your receivers and have the DISH Service Protection Plan the cost to install should be $15. per visit,without it's $95.

With DISH if you buy all your receivers there should not be any commitments.

Also when I bought my HD receivers and needed a different dish installed,the total cost because I had the Service Plan was $15.

If you do not have the Service Plan on your account, if you ever need an "owned" receiver replaced, DISH will replace it with a "leased" receiver with a commitment.If the Service Plan is on your account a "owned" receiver is replaced with another "owned" receiver.

Edited by Jhon69, 12 March 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#19 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 739 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

If you own your receivers and have the DISH Service Protection Plan the cost to install should be $15. per visit,without it's $95.

With DISH if you buy all your receivers there should not be any commitments.

Also when I bought my HD receivers and needed a different dish installed,the total cost because I had the Service Plan was $15.

If you do not have the Service Plan on your account, if you ever need an "owned" receiver replaced, DISH will replace it with a "leased" receiver with a commitment.If the Service Plan is on your account a "owned" receiver is replaced with another "owned" receiver.

Good to know.

tampa didn't say if his [ or others] receiver was owned or leased.

#20 OFFLINE   dishrich

dishrich

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:47 PM

True, but what is the monthly receiver cost?

It's EXACTLY the same price whether you buy or lease...so obviously, it depends on which receiver model you're talking about... ;)

BTW, another benefit I thought of for purchasing - at least for a DVR receiver...

If you get pissed at E* & want to switch to another service - but still have shows on your DVR HDD you don't have time to watch - you can disconnect your E* service & watch your remaining shows at your leisure. (as long as you disconnect the receiver from the DISH BEFORE you shut the service off) I've still have a couple of old, owned, disco'd E* DVR's that I still have shows on & watch from time to time. (I got them upgraded to newer DVR's under promos)

I actually just went through this very thing when I finally dumped D* last fall - lucky for me, I knew in advance they didn't want their POS HR20's back, so I simply disco'd them from the dish BEFORE shutting off the service. Still have hours & hours of DVR'd shows I'm (still) watching at MY leisure...& I was NOT forced to stay stuck with their service just because of this! :D

Edited by dishrich, 12 March 2013 - 07:54 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...