Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Choice xtra classic vs Ultimate

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mark1281

mark1281

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Considering switching from choice xtra classic to ultimate and wonder if anyone knows if there are any channels I would lose?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,349 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:23 AM

Not going that direction that I can think of. There are some channels that Xtra classic has that were dropped from Xtra and moved to ultimate. Keep in mind, once you move off it, you can't go back to classic.

#3 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,109 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Considering switching from choice xtra classic to ultimate and wonder if anyone knows if there are any channels I would lose?

If you call them, they can tell you which channels you would no longer get.

I did this, this week. I found out that the channels listed on the website for comparison are not up to date.
I was considering going from the Choice Extra Classic to the XTRA package.
Chiller was a channel I would lose and my son was asleep so I could not find out if he watched it or not. When he woke up he told me that it was an SD channel and we do not watch SD channels.
The others that I would lose were worthless to us.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,349 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

But that's a downgrade. I can't think of a case where upgrading causes a channel to drop.

#5 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:48 AM

But that's a downgrade. I can't think of a case where upgrading causes a channel to drop.

It's not common, but it does happen. For example Choice has Cartoon Network East HD, but XTRA doesn't. I think there's a couple of Sonic Tap Channels that this occurs with as well.

To the OP's question, I don't have Choice XTRA Classic so I can't see that lineup, but if you go to your Directv account and select Change package, you'll be able to compare the channels you currently get with all the other packages.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#6 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,349 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

That isn't always reliable. I did that once, and it told me my package at the time didnt have a lot of channels I did get, including Audience.

#7 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

It's not common, but it does happen. For example Choice has Cartoon Network East HD, but XTRA doesn't. I think there's a couple of Sonic Tap Channels that this occurs with as well.

To the OP's question, I don't have Choice XTRA Classic so I can't see that lineup, but if you go to your Directv account and select Change package, you'll be able to compare the channels you currently get with all the other packages.

Extra does have Cartoon Network East HD.

You will not lose any channels moving up to Ultimate.
If you drop down to Extra from Ultimate youll lose
NHL, Style, Chiller, Cloo, Sprout, Boomerang

#8 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Not going that direction that I can think of. There are some channels that Xtra classic has that were dropped from Xtra and moved to ultimate. Keep in mind, once you move off it, you can't go back to classic.

You actually have 30 days from changing to go back to a grandfathered package. :)

#9 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,347 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:44 AM

Other than encore channels, I don't know what else will be gained when upgrading to ultimate, besides getting those channels mentioned.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#10 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:53 AM

Moving up to Ultimate from Extra you will gain Encore channels, The Movie Channel East and West, Sundance, Boomerang, Sprout, Style, Cloo, Chiller, and NHL Network.

#11 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

Moving up to Ultimate from Extra you will gain Encore channels, The Movie Channel East and West, Sundance, Boomerang, Sprout, Style, Cloo, Chiller, and NHL Network.

Although the OP is moving from Choice Xtra Classic, so he already has some of those channels.
HR34-700, HR22-100

spam firewall