Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intermittent pixelation on 722

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 March 2013 - 08:45 PM

Been having intermittent pixelation for about a week now, mostly on the HD channels. Sometimes it will happen 2 or 3 times an hour. Sometimes more, sometimes less. Doesn't last too long when it happens, although a couple times I got the "complete signal loss" screen for a split second before channel comes back. Happens in clear weather and there isn't (or shouldn't) be any obstructions, especially this time of year.

Just wondering what could be causing it. I first noticed it happening after we had some real rainy and windy weather go through the area. So I thought maybe it was the wind moving the dish a bit. Wasn't sure if there was an solar flares or trouble with the sats/uplink lately. Or could it be the receiver itself, or even the LNB and/or wiring from the dish to house (wiring had been buried in my yard for about 10 years)? Any help will be appreciated... although I have a feeling if it gets bad enough I might have to have someone come out and look at it. Right now it's just mildly annoying when it does happen.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 09 March 2013 - 09:02 PM

Run diagnostics, check if your LNBF developed a drift [LOF]; try to do cold reboot.

#3 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:38 AM

What will the diagnostics say if it did drift?

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:42 PM

Check Details screen

#5 OFFLINE   Klatu

Klatu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:50 PM

I think you have to spend at least 10 years here to interpret what the "establishment" is saying. When you get to the details page, look at it, and then you get to ask another question for a cryptic answer. :) You must not give up as this is how you learn.
VIP 722 DVR, Samsung LNT4671F HD TV, ROKU for Netflix, Panasonic Blu-Ray, Slingbox, and a HTC Rezound to watch all this stuff when my wife is shopping.

#6 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 01:29 PM

So I poked around a little bit and still haven't found where to tell if the LNB has drifted. Can someone please give me some more details? Thanks.

Also, I noticed it hasn't quite been as bad once I turned the laptop cooler fan I have under the receiver. Noticed the high temp was 140 and the low was 120 something. After I turned it on the low temp has been falling and now is at 107. Not sure why it was so hot since it's not really in an enclosed area and it hasn't been that warm in the house.

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:03 PM

I think you have to spend at least 10 years here to interpret what the "establishment" is saying. When you get to the details page, look at it, and then you get to ask another question for a cryptic answer. :) You must not give up as this is how you learn.

Yeah, sure ... some helpers would make constructive comments with menu's sequence and screenshots; other would go up to a poster instead ...

#8 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:11 PM

Some other interesting tid bits. Was watching BBC America HD this afternoon and it was ok. Just a little pixelation here and there. Then we watched something we recorded earlier in the day on the DVR (there was a little pixelation in the recording). After we were done, I deleted the show and went back to BBC America HD... which was now pixelating real bad, almost unwatchable. Flipped around to a couple other channels and didn't have much trouble there. Even went to TBS HD which is on the same SAT (72) as BBC America and that channel was fine, whereas BBC America was having some problems. So that's odd because I would suspect both channels to be acting up. So, I dunno. This receiver is a little over a year old (had it replaced last February) so I hope that's not what's acting up.

#9 OFFLINE   otnipj3s

otnipj3s

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:18 PM

Had a similar problem last September, when DVR recording caused pixelation. Was told it was a grounding problem, and new box fixed it.

#10 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:24 PM

Did menu-6-1-3 and waited for it to get to 100% and status came back as "Good"....and it's currently cloudy and raining outside.... so no LNB drift??? Scrolled through all the info it spat back out and everything was 0 except something came back as 1 and another -2 but I have no idea what info that was.

Also noticed poking around the diagnostics that the last time my receiver "connected" was 3/3. How often is it supposed to connect and why does it need to connect? It was about that time when I noticed this problem.

#11 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:26 PM

Had a similar problem last September, when DVR recording caused pixelation. Was told it was a grounding problem, and new box fixed it.

If it's a grounding problem, wouldn't that require some re-wiring on the outside of the house and not just a new receiver? And when you say DVR recording caused pixelation, do you mean the recording itself was messed up or that switching from DVR back to real time caused pixelation to the channel you were watching before switching to DVR (or both)?

#12 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:54 PM

Flipped back to BBC America HD after a few minutes and it was all good..... weird. Since it does this no matter the weather, I'm thinking maybe a re-point is needed, something is wrong w/wiring, and/or the receiver is going bad due to the high temps I noticed. Or a little of each.

#13 OFFLINE   otnipj3s

otnipj3s

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:31 PM

It was a grounding problem in the box.

#14 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

It was a grounding problem in the box.

Ah, gotcha. Not sure how to check for that.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

Ah, gotcha. Not sure how to check for that.

It would require some specialized equipment and EE lab; it cannot be done at home with a "butter-knife" tools :)

#16 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

Leaning towards needing a re-point. Not sure how the dish could have gotten out of line except maybe some of the heavy winds we had a week ago skewed it just a little bit. It's cloudy and rainy now, but I checked the signal strengths anyways (MattG wanted me to). 72 was a little low (mid-30's...having some minor pixelation on those channels), 77 was basically ok (high 40's), but 61 was 30, 24, 0, 0... and it just so happens the locals on 61.5 are acting up big time right now with the rain. I could only imagine what they were reading on a clear day, especially since they should be close to 70. And there has been some pixelation on clear days. And I'm almost positive there are no obstructions to the 61.5 sat since it's way up in the sky and there are no leaves yet on any trees that could be close to in the way.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

If you'll go up to re-aim the dish, check if LNBF plastic covers is OK and water is not inside the of a block/LNBFs.

#18 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 06:22 PM

If you'll go up to re-aim the dish, check if LNBF plastic covers is OK and water is not inside the of a block/LNBFs.

Luckily it's on a pole in my yard on not on my roof....

#19 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:43 PM

Similar problems today. Crystal clear out w/no clouds. Same signal strength #'s on those transponders. Recorded a show on the local CBS channel this afternoon and it was ok w/just a little pixalation here and there. Now they're real bad. Weird. Hopefully it's just the dish out of line for some reason. Shouldn't be any obstructions, especially with the 61.5 sat.

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,700 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:57 PM

when seen the issue, press Info twice - you'll get the sat, if you'll go to signal level screen you'll see all info:sat/port/tpn/SS

spam firewall