Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Intermittent pixelation on 722

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 06:16 PM

when seen the issue, press Info twice - you'll get the sat, if you'll go to signal level screen you'll see all info:sat/port/tpn/SS

Yea, I did that on a couple of the local channels on 61.5 when they were acting up. The signal strength screen was showing 0, even after waiting a few seconds to see if it would lock on.....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:03 PM

that's the reason for video distortion - fist step: check all cables, f-connectors, switch, LNBF

#23 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 726 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

It could be a million things. I had pixelation on QVC & HSN and it turned out being the very short cable between the DPP splitter and the receiver. I figured that out when I put my TV in single mode and tuned both tuners to the same channel and turned on the PIP to compare them side by side. One tuner was clear and the other had pixelation.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#24 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

It could be a million things. I had pixelation on QVC & HSN and it turned out being the very short cable between the DPP splitter and the receiver. I figured that out when I put my TV in single mode and tuned both tuners to the same channel and turned on the PIP to compare them side by side. One tuner was clear and the other had pixelation.

Well we'll find out tomorrow. I'd say both tuners have the same amount of pixelation, but not always at the same time :confused:. For instance, last night was watching something on BBC America on the tv in the living room and there was a little pixelation here and there, but nothing too bad. Turn off the tv and receiver and go upstairs to finish watching the show and it was almost unwatchable on the other tv (and the "complete signal loss" screen came on a few times) it was so bad and had to change to the SD channel to be able to watch it. And the channels on 61.5 seem to have the most problems with some on 72.

#25 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 01:38 PM

Had to have the receiver replaced (so now I have a 722k ;) ). The tech said the dish was a little off-line, but not much. He adjusted the dish and checked the signal there at is was fine. Checked the signal at the house and it was fine. So everything was fine from the dish to the house. Seemed to be fine inside house too. He told me part of the problem could have been that I was running the coax through a surge protector. Even without it going through the surge protector, the signal strength and all still wasn't where it should have been. So we swapped out the receiver and he changed a bunch of the connections from "clear" to the "blue" ones. So far so good...only my second DVR in the last year :rolleyes:.

#26 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:00 PM

we will know in a few days how good it is ;)

#27 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

we will know in a few days how good it is ;)

Well so far so good... for the most part. Eeeeeeevery once and awhile I'll notice a little "hiccup" with a split second of pixelation.... not sure what's up with that. And watching one of the local channels today the picture "froze" for a split second a couple times and then the "complete signal loss" screen came up for a split second and then everything was back to normal..... :confused::confused:

#28 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

well, it's coming baaaaack ... ;)

#29 OFFLINE   wje

wje

Godfather

• Registered
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 19 March 2013 - 07:53 PM

I've had brief pixellation and sound dropouts for quite a while with my 722K. Support thought my dish needed reaiming. It had excellent sig on all 3 satellites, but hey, they wanted to do it, so ok. Made no difference at all. I finally noticed that the dropouts happen exactly on the half-hour. I'd be interested to see if others have this. The pixellation/dropout is probably a second or less.

My assumption is that this is a firmware problem. Some housekeeping is being done on the half-hour (guide change?) and either the priority is too high or the CPU just isn't adequate for the burst load. Never saw this with my lamented and sorely missed 622.

My avatar says it all.

#30 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Well after 4 months of the new receiver, I think it's coming back. Of course we've had a lot of storms lately but it seems to do it when I think it shouldn't. Also might be the wireless adapter; it keeps connecting and disconnecting to my router and while trying to deal with all that the screen would pause and/or pixelate. I just unplugged the adapter; I don't use it for anything. 

There might be another "new" receiver in my future :rolleyes:

#31 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Forgot to add that the receiver is now on top of the shelf with coasters @ all 4 corners and a USB external fan sucking air out the left (as you face the receiver) side. Avg. temp of 114 (high of 122 low of 109) can't seem to get it any lower than that. 

#32 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

you're incorrectly using the fan, it's "fighting" against internal fan and making worst for internal temp by pulling hot air from tuner's can area to CPU and HDD

if you want do that properly, make pushing ambient air into DVR from left side (facing front of the box) and/or suck hot air from DVR at right side

#33 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

you're incorrectly using the fan, it's "fighting" against internal fan and making worst for internal temp by pulling hot air from tuner's can area to CPU and HDD

if you want do that properly, make pushing ambient air into DVR from left side (facing front of the box) and/or suck hot air from DVR at right side

I always thought you suck the air out from the left side of the receiver (if you're facing the front of the receiver) and/or blow in from the right side. I think that's how I read/saw everyone on here was doing it. 

#34 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

I"ll give that a try. I thought I was doing it correctly based on what I read here. Anyone have a diagram/pic of how it's supposed to be?

#35 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:56 PM

I know how it works, I did airflow analysis, I did my own design as a better solution, I did implement it and my 622 works for a couple years much better before replaced by 922 then by a H ...

I did post pictures of the mod and analysis here a couple years ago

#36 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:08 PM

I know how it works, I did airflow analysis, I did my own design as a better solution, I did implement it and my 622 works for a couple years much better before replaced by 922 then by a H ...

I did post pictures of the mod and analysis here a couple years ago

I'm sure you do know how it works. I just seem to remember that the consensus on there was suck out the left side and/or blow into right side (if you're facing the front of the receiver). I don't have time to search all the posts and threads on this; I just thought that's what the consensus was. 

So this contraption is also operating incorrectly? http://www.ebay.com/...=item53e51d0691

#37 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

what consensus should be of these who never opened a hood, but telling you how to an engine working ? funny ...

#38 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Well turning the fan around to blow air IN from the left side for a couple days actually made the temps go UP (High 127, Avg 114). I think I'll put it back the way I've had it since March. 

But I don't think that was the cause of the pixelation. It appears that a couple of the branches/leaves of the bushes I have hiding the dish from the road were growing up in front of the dish/LNB. A quick trim and it hasn't done it since. SMH.

#39 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

the temp sensor [LM75] is locating behind HDD if you looking from left side, so, I have an explanation...

but the idea is slapping a fan outside without knowledge of airflow ... kind of kicking tires when an engine is troubling

it's your DVR after all; feeling like en expert ? go ahead, make anything what you think is good for you ...

Edited by P Smith, 15 July 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#40 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

the temp sensor [LM75] is locating behind HDD if you looking from left side, so, I have an explanation...

but the idea is slapping a fan outside without knowledge of airflow ... kind of kicking tires when an engine is troubling

it's your DVR after all; feeling like en expert ? go ahead, make anything what you think is good for you ...

Thanks for the help :rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...