Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Will my HR10-250 work when deactivated?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dilerium

Dilerium

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

I have an old HR10-250 that is just cooking along and doing great. However, I am having Genie installed on Monday morning. This is causing some stress around the house as my wife's favorite stuff is on the ol' Tivo. The Tivo is owned by me, so the installer will not be taking it with him. However, the Tivo will be deactivated. Can my wife still watch the programs that she has saved to the hard drive, even if the Tivo is deactivated?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 10:28 AM

I did this for quite a while when I got rid of my HR10-250. Just disconnect it from the satellite feed before it is deactivated. You should be able to playback your recordings indefinitely. This is not the case with the HR2x or 3x series of receivers. They need a satellite feed or they go into a searching for signal loop after about 24 hours.

#3 OFFLINE   Dilerium

Dilerium

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:16 PM

Cool thanks.

Once we're done with it, any idea what to do with an old HR10-250? I can't bear the thought of just tossing it in the trash, but it's only going to gather dust around here.

#4 ONLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:52 PM

You can remove the hard drive and put it in an enclosure and use it for a backup disk for your PC or Mac. Then take the 250 to Best Buy for recycle. It was a sad day but a couple of years ago I took my HD TIVO and 2 SD TIVO's there to recycle along with a Samsung HD DirecTV receiver. When technology gets obsolete there are not a lot of options and it serves no purpose sitting on a shelf in the basement. :whatdidid:

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

I bet for 50 years to come HR10-250s will be the occasional oddity at estate and storage locker sales!

#6 OFFLINE   Dilerium

Dilerium

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:21 PM

The upgrade installation went off without a hitch this morning. The technician showed up on time and completed the work in about an hour and a half. After he left, I reinstalled the HR10 and got it set up to playback old programs that it still has saved on it. The new networked equipment is doing great.

Thanks to Mr. Adams, of Mastec/DirecTV for a great job.

#7 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,564 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

Maybe some member on the TiVo Community forum will take it off your hands.
I sold mine a couple of years ago for $50.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#8 OFFLINE   Dilerium

Dilerium

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:14 PM

Maybe some member on the TiVo Community forum will take it off your hands.
I sold mine a couple of years ago for $50.

Cool. Thanks for the suggestion.

#9 OFFLINE   gemmy23

gemmy23

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

I did this for quite a while when I got rid of my HR10-250. Just disconnect it from the satellite feed before it is deactivated. You should be able to playback your recordings indefinitely. This is not the case with the HR2x or 3x series of receivers. They need a satellite feed or they go into a searching for signal loop after about 24 hours.

I'm switching to cable. Do you think I'll be able to do the same thing? My idea is to use an A/B switch to go back and forth from recording on my new Premier to just playback with my HR10-250. Appreciate any advice.

#10 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 843 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yes, you can do that.

Steve

My Setup

#11 OFFLINE   gemmy23

gemmy23

• Registered