Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Is a Joey required?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

If you were adding Joeys or another Hopper to the mix under the DISH Service Protection Plan the DISH tech would come out and run new cables(coax) or a new dish,whatever you would need, to make it work for $15.

Because I live in a manufactured home and the cables are all run in the crawl space below the house, the installer said that is not a "standard" install and that they would not do it.

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

Thanks. Any specific recommendations on the signal amplifier?

I've used this one.

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103092
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#23 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

I've used this one.

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2103092

Thanks! I'll be stopping at Radio Shack on my way home today - keep your fingers crossed!

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Magnavox DVD Recorder

Sony BlueRay Player

#24 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

FWIW, I got a single Hopper installed to replace my 722. It was impossible to do this online or even through DIRT, but I was able to do it by simply calling a local installer.

While I've used modulators in the past, and they worked fine, I wanted HD, so I picked up a wireless HDMI system, which worked very well. I used the modulator to share my Hopper with 3 other SD TVs and my wireless HDMI to share it with 2 other HD TVs. I stopped using the modulator when I eventually upgraded all those old sets to HD. If I were buying today, I'd use Moca instead.

BTW, all my modulators came from ebay or walmart and were under $10.

Also realize that this isn't going to work like your old 622 or 722 where you have an independent TV2. With a Hopper and no joeys, all TVs are going to have to watch exactly the same thing. Something to keep in mind.

#25 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Because I live in a manufactured home and the cables are all run in the crawl space below the house, the installer said that is not a "standard" install and that they would not do it.

I do too! and because I'm disabled I made sure when I ordered my system they would replace the coax(actually all the tech has to do is use a barrel coax connector,hook it to one coax connector end,then pull it through).The tech would not have to actually go under the manufactured home(if they knew what to do) when there's coax already under there.

Because your a woman they blew you off,you have got to get tough.The key is have the DISH Service Protection Plan on your account! it covers everything and more concerning your satellite system.Then make sure when you talk to a DISH CSR they know what exactly what you want done and don't put up with any crap from the installer,cancel the install if they do,then call DISH back up tell them what happened and make another appointment.

Good Luck!:)

#26 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

FWIW, I got a single Hopper installed to replace my 722. It was impossible to do this online or even through DIRT, but I was able to do it by simply calling a local installer.

While I've used modulators in the past, and they worked fine, I wanted HD, so I picked up a wireless HDMI system, which worked very well. I used the modulator to share my Hopper with 3 other SD TVs and my wireless HDMI to share it with 2 other HD TVs. I stopped using the modulator when I eventually upgraded all those old sets to HD. If I were buying today, I'd use Moca instead.

BTW, all my modulators came from ebay or walmart and were under $10.

Also realize that this isn't going to work like your old 622 or 722 where you have an independent TV2. With a Hopper and no joeys, all TVs are going to have to watch exactly the same thing. Something to keep in mind.

All TVs watching the same thing is not a problem; we used the 622 in single mode because we're one of those strange couples that watch the same thing at the same time (even if one of us is in another room).

What wireless hdmi system did you use? That sounds like another option to consider.

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Magnavox DVD Recorder

Sony BlueRay Player

#27 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

All TVs watching the same thing is not a problem; we used the 622 in single mode because we're one of those strange couples that watch the same thing at the same time (even if one of us is in another room).

What wireless hdmi system did you use? That sounds like another option to consider.

Actiontec MyWirelessTV. Kind of pricey, but significantly cheaper if you find a used one on ebay like I did. Make sure you get the kit with both transmitter and receiver. I found the best way to connect it was HDMI to the transmitter and component to your main TV from the Hopper. Otherwise I would sometimes have HDMI handshake issues (i.e., no picuture).

You can probably walk into your local best buy and get one off the shelf. This would be the best way to at least try one out, in case it doesn't work for you due to range or whatever. Mine worked pretty well from 30' through a couple of floors and walls.

#28 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:57 PM

Well, it looks like the DIRT, Mike H., that was trying to help me with my 622 issues has come through! I pm'd him with the same thing I posted here and he called me to see what he could do to make this right.

He ended up setting up a new service call for us for tomorrow to re-cable our whole house (all 6 outlets) and is off-setting the bill to cover the charge. He's also sending out a Joey and is off-setting our bill for the next 20 months to help make up for being mis-lead during my initial phone call. True, with one Joey it means that only one other TV will work at a time and we'll have to disconnect it to move it from room to room but we simply don't watch tv in those other rooms that often so I think it's an acceptable compromise.

I told him that he had restored my faith in Dish and I mean that in all sincerity!

Thanks, all of you, for your suggestions and assistance, and a big thank you to Mike H. for jumping in and going above and beyond to resolve this situation for us!
:joy:

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Magnavox DVD Recorder

Sony BlueRay Player

#29 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:16 PM

True, with one Joey it means that only one other TV will work at a time and we'll have to disconnect it to move it from room to room but we simply don't watch tv in those other rooms that often so I think it's an acceptable compromise.

You can still mirror the remaining TVs off the Hopper via the modulator if you want.
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#30 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

You can still mirror the remaining TVs off the Hopper via the modulator if you want.

Sorry, trying to get my head around modulator and Joey together. Say my husband had Joey going in the office and I wanted to watch TV in the bedroom. Would the modulator be connected with the input being the coax coming out of the wall in the bedroom and the output going to the bedroom TV?

:scratchin

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Magnavox DVD Recorder

Sony BlueRay Player

#31 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:09 AM

Well, it looks like the DIRT, Mike H., that was trying to help me with my 622 issues has come through! I pm'd him with the same thing I posted here and he called me to see what he could do to make this right.

He ended up setting up a new service call for us for tomorrow to re-cable our whole house (all 6 outlets) and is off-setting the bill to cover the charge. He's also sending out a Joey and is off-setting our bill for the next 20 months to help make up for being mis-lead during my initial phone call. True, with one Joey it means that only one other TV will work at a time and we'll have to disconnect it to move it from room to room but we simply don't watch tv in those other rooms that often so I think it's an acceptable compromise.

I told him that he had restored my faith in Dish and I mean that in all sincerity!

Thanks, all of you, for your suggestions and assistance, and a big thank you to Mike H. for jumping in and going above and beyond to resolve this situation for us!
:joy:

Good Job! Mike H. and DIRT for coming through for a DISH customer in need.:)

#32 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:32 AM

I am a happy (hoppy?) camper! I now have a house that has been re-cabled and I can move the Joey anywhere in the house to watch tv in any room.

When the installer showed up, he only had a work order for installing the Joey with nothing about the re-wire. Mike H., the DIRT member that was helping me, had given me his direct number and a phone call to him took care of the problem. He added all the notes needed to get the job done, my installer, Ron, called his supervisor and then headed underneath the house to check out the situation. I gave him a "webster" to fend off spidies and critters.

After confronting an angry gopher and several black spiders the size of small cows (that's how we grow 'em out here), Ron did a great job re-cabling and made sure that all the outlets work and are all set up for the Joey. We carried a tv to each of them to verify functionality and I could not be more pleased - the picture is perfect everywhere! I haven't tried connecting an rf modulator to see if that would work in another room while Joey is elsewhere occupied but I'll try that soon and will post the results.

The best improvement from Dish? Having the DIRT monitoring our forum!!!!

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Magnavox DVD Recorder

Sony BlueRay Player

#33 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 09:07 PM

Tried putting an rf modulator on a TV without the joey but got nothing but a blue screen. Oh, well, I knew I would probably be moving the joey around anyway so no big deal.

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Magnavox DVD Recorder

Sony BlueRay Player

spam firewall