Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Which Transponder provides software updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:08 AM

I have an R15-500 that is trying to do a software update, but keeps failing to get past 0%. If I let it sit for an hour, it will go back to live TV and from there I can get to my signal meters. I know my signal stregnths are a little low, they range from 72 to 94, but I was wondering if anyone knew which transponder provides the updates. That way I know which transponder to focus on as I re-align the dish. Also, does anyone know the minimum signal level I need to do an update? Looking at the redh site, it says my update is on TP 30. Does that mean transponder 30? My signal strength on TP 30 is in the low 80’s. For what it’s worth, the account is in Houston. Is it trying to use the local spot beam?

Thanks in advance guys,

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,296 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

see www.redh.com/dtv

to answer to your question: it's not that simple as knowing FW tpn# ... see my posts in recent threads about two step FW update process, keyword is "announcement packets"

#3 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 803 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Thanks for the info.

So from reading the other threads, I just want to clarify something.

You said
“for DL other version en mass, they don't need to know which IRD is has appropriate FW;
they just send special "announcement" packets ( they are broadcasting on each 101W's tpn) what are telling to particular model:do tune to tpn_XX, listen to PID_YYYY and accept the FW if a filter inside that PID has your IRD parameters...
recently activity of such "announcement" packets shown on Doug's site as a +" [plus sign]
without the packets your IRD will not update by itself; only if you will force it to do and appropriate "secondary" PID_YYYY carry correct filter for your IRD”

Does that mean the announcement packet is on the TP listed in the TP column on Doug’s site, or the download is on the TP from Doug’s site? In the first sentence it sounds like the announcement packet is on all TP’s, but the second sentence makes it sound like the announcement packet is on the one listed on Doug’s site.

Thanks again,

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,296 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

Regular AP like NR are on each tpn;
FW info packets of each FW spool are on dedicated FW tpns, also the packets carry filters to what mfg,model,etc IRD the FW targetting.

spam firewall