Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Networking change busts whole home setup

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   demisod

demisod

AllStar

• Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

I recently moved into a new house, and it took me about a month to get internet service installed, which was yesterday. Directtv went ahead and installed at my house without internet. I have an HR34 with one client and an HR21 and HR23. Although there was no internet connection, whole home seemed to work and there was consolidated playlist available to the HR34 and the genie client.

The house is wired for a lan. At the HR34 location, there is a wall jack that is connected to a switch that feeds the tv/blue ray player and a/v receiver. As it turns out the guys that installed the tv and a/v equipment also connected the HR34 to the LAN via ethernet. As I understand it, this is not the correct way to connect to the internet for the HR34, but it seemed harmless at the time.

For reasons having to do with my ISP provider (sticking a router behind a router), I decided to change the subnet for my lan from 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x. Don't know if this was really needed, but I did it. After the internet was activated, I tested the HR34 and discovered it was not connecting. I noticed it's IP address was 192.168.1.3. I thought, ah, I just need to change the subnet to 192.168.2.x. So I did and the genie lost contact with the server. Rebooting the client didn't seem to help. Adding a client didn't work either (no prompt for the add code, just a "can't find server" screen). I changed the server's address back to what it was, rebooted everything and the client came back but whole home is not working. Recordings on the other DVRs don't show up and no other receivers show up at connected at the HR34. I checked the IP address on one of the other receivers and it is showing 192.168.2.xx. I would guess this is the problem.

I assume I need to get a tech out to install the supported internet connection kit, but is there was way to get the whole home setup back and working? The IP address for the server is listed as static. Is there a way to use DHCP which the client will pick up?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

The Genie supports bridging the internet through its ethernet port. Sounds like there is a subnet issue where some receivers are on one subnet and others are on another.

I'd go into the network menu and select <RESTORE DEFAULTS> then <CONNECT NOW>. That should reset the Genie to pull an IP address via DHCP. If your other receivers are set to DHCP also, it should 'just work'.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#3 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,398 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:15 AM

For reasons having to do with my ISP provider (sticking a router behind a router)

Can you explain the above comment further? two routers running DHCP can cause havoc in your network. one router must be "bridged"
Here’s to the crazy ones.
The misfits. The rebels.
The the troublemakers.
The round pegs in the square holes.

The ones who see things different.
They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status quo.

Think Differently 

#4 OFFLINE   demisod

demisod

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

I have AT&T uverse, which uses a gateway box that combines router+modem. It does not have a bridge mode, but my router seems to work ok placed in the DMZ for the AT&T router. The router is the only thing attached to the AT&T box. This was the internet-recommended solution based on my research. The two routers is why I changed the subnet on my router, to avoid possible conflicts, although thinking about it that seems unnecessary. Everything seems to be working properly so far (a computer, wireless devices, voip box, tv, blu-ray, a/v receiver) with the exception of the whole home setup.

#5 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,156 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

You're probably better posting this issue in the "Connected Home" forum where the more network savvy folks frequent.

http://www.dbstalk.c...splay.php?f=137

#6 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 12 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

If you don't want to use VOD, the easiest solution is to disconnect the HR34 from the LAN and reboot all the DVRs (including the HR34) and clients.

If you want VOD, you'll need to get the C31 clients to switch over to the 192.168.2.xxx subnet. I honestly don't know that much about the C31 clients, but I would assume you'll need to rerun guided setup on the C31s to do that.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,265 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

I have AT&T uverse, which uses a gateway box that combines router+modem. It does not have a bridge mode, but my router seems to work ok placed in the DMZ for the AT&T router. The router is the only thing attached to the AT&T box. This was the internet-recommended solution based on my research. The two routers is why I changed the subnet on my router, to avoid possible conflicts, although thinking about it that seems unnecessary. Everything seems to be working properly so far (a computer, wireless devices, voip box, tv, blu-ray, a/v receiver) with the exception of the whole home setup.

If you have both routers active as DHCP servers that is going to cause problems, even if they are different subnets. This is because network devices on your LAN might get IP addresses from either server. Turn off DHCP on one of the routers and reset the network setup on each of your receivers. You might also want to restart any other network devices as well to make sure that they grab a new IP address.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,847 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

If you have both routers active as DHCP servers that is going to cause problems, even if they are different subnets. This is because network devices on your LAN might get IP addresses from either server. Turn off DHCP on one of the routers and reset the network setup on each of your receivers. You might also want to restart any other network devices as well to make sure that they grab a new IP address.

- Merg

This has been moved to here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=213494
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...