Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 Genie, 0x067E - Issues/Discussion

• Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:53 AM

oenophile, it has been noted previously that the HR34 doesn't scan as well as other DVRs. It's my feeling that this new release is actually better than previous versions in x2 and x3 but I will also agree it doesn't operate the same as a HR2x DVR.

I find the 4x scan on a HR34 practically useless. Again, it's better now than with previous software. In the past you might end up ± 7 minutes from where you wanted to end up when you dropped out of 4x. Now it stops pretty close to the last image on the screen but at that scanning speed, that's not good enough. About the only time 4x can be used is a golf match. You'll end up on the hole the leaders are on but good luck finding the putt you wanted to watch.

You would think that the implementing the scanning code would be a relatively cut and dry matter by now but apparently it isn't.

I couldn't agree more. I moved from a HR22 to HR34 a couple months ago. I still can't get over that the HR22 did several things better. Obviously, the HR34 is a big plus with 5 receivers but took a step backwards on a few items; FF being one of them. I wonder if the software developers had to abandon all prior code because a new hardware platform or what.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

2. The highlight still often jumps off to the left to cover the station info when I scroll up or down through the guide. There is absolutely no reason for that.

This has been driving me crazy since I got it. When scrolling if you happen to wind up on one of those AD banners then next time you scroll it jumps to the channel info in the guide. IF you cursor back and continue to scroll it doesn't do it again. Sounds like they are not initializing something correctly.

Anywho, it's still there darn it!
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#43 OFFLINE   Hotelone

Hotelone

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 55 posts
  • LocationCentral Sierra Mountains

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:59 PM

2. The highlight still often jumps off to the left to cover the station info when I scroll up or down through the guide. There is absolutely no reason for that.

I get this too!

#44 OFFLINE   wrj

wrj

Legend

• Registered
  • 152 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:24 PM

3. Sometimes the FFWD > PLAY > AUTO-REWIND feature works, sometimes it doesn't. In fact, most of the time it doesn't. I wish it worked 100% consistently like it faithfully does on my HR23 and HR24.

4. Sometimes FFWD produces a freeze frame.

5. Sometimes when I go from the tuner to a recording and then back to the tuner, the tuner's buffered memory will be erased.

Got all these issues also

#45 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

I don't have any of those problems with my HR34 and the new NR.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#46 OFFLINE   GreenScrew

GreenScrew

Mentor

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:57 PM

I just installed my HR34 last night. Was actually quite impressed that it was as fast as it was based on what I'd read here. Guess this release is the reason for that! However, this afternoon it wouldn't power on and needed an rbr.

#47 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 801 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Every DVR model they've made thus far is faster after a reboot. Before it get's bogged down with all the superfluous BS that loads over the first 24-48 hours.

#48 OFFLINE   rmmccann

rmmccann

AllStar

• Registered
  • 168 posts
  • LocationND, USA

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:05 AM

Mine came in a couple of days ago. I noticed the first day I had to reboot because it was laggy and unresponsive; after that it was speedy and wonderful. Tried it again last night and it had slowed down again, just not as bad as it had been. It will take a couple weeks before I'll know if it's overall better than the previous NR or not.
If you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, you will live your whole life believing it is stupid.

#49 OFFLINE   bdot79

bdot79

• Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationMS Gulf Coast

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

Last night no matter what channel I was on if I hit the info button it would always show channel 331 MTV which was showing Snooki & J Wow. :confused: I did not restart b/c everything else was working normally. I will post an update tomorrow when I get back in town. BTW I received the update 3/19 @ 3am CDT.
HR34-700, AM21n & (3)H25-100
Whole Home DVR w/ wireless CCK
Slimline Dish w/ SWM 5 LNB
OTA Attic Antenna: McLapp M8
DTV since Aug. 2012

#50 OFFLINE   lgb0250

lgb0250

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

I don't have any of those problems with my HR34 and the new NR.

Same here. None of the above problems with the new release.

#51 OFFLINE   chicagojim

chicagojim

Legend

• Registered
  • 228 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:28 AM

I got the Genie installed about a month ago and sat tight on issues until I received at least one of the two most recent updates. Now that I am updated, I can confirm the following:

For me, the problems that remain from previous software versions are:

3. Sometimes the FFWD > PLAY > AUTO-REWIND feature works, sometimes it doesn't. In fact, most of the time it doesn't. I wish it worked 100% consistently like it faithfully does on my HR23 and HR24.

These two items are annoying, especially the failure of the 30 skip or review functions. Many times the unit will jump to the next segment on multiple buffered 30-skips instead of the requested jump (hit it 3 times, it jumps fifteen minutes, not 90 seconds, or all the way to the end of the program)

One to add that is still there after the update:

About half the recorded programs I watch will not pop-up the "Delete recording now" message at the end of the recording. FF to the end does not work. I have to exit the recording and delete via using the delete function in the list.

Oh yeah - I have to reboot this unit about once a week to get performance back. It will eventually freeze up and the clients become inoperable. I never (or rarely) had to do that with my HR 20s. It is still too early to tell if this is a current issue on this version since I have had it for about four days, but I an already see the unit getting sluggish.
Go Cubs

New equipment after seven years . . .

HR34 to Sony KDS60A2000 , HR24 to 47" Vizio -
three C31s - Slimline 5 Dish - Swim 16 -CCK -
Networked via wireless & 1000BT, using Comcast – three switches, two routers Hotspot @ home and 4G Femto cell

#52 OFFLINE   Tom_S

Tom_S

Icon

• Registered
  • 602 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:35 PM

All I ever really notice is the guide problem. The guide also scrolls kinda jittery. But as for speed I have never had any complaints. Seems as fast if not faster than my HR24. At least for my usage.
Panasonic 58PX60U
DirectTV HR34-700, HR24-500, H23-600

No OTA only Sat
AU9(Slimline) SL3 SWM Dish

All 3 receivers connected via DECA and bridged to 8-port Rosewill RC-410X Gigabit Switch.

#53 OFFLINE   rcibera

rcibera

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

I got the new software on Tuesday morning and ever since the Genie hangs periodically. It hangs immediately if I go to Menu, Settings & Help, Settings, Info & Test, More System Info. It will just have the small window on the top left showing whatever channel is on and the rest of the screen is black. And I cant do anything at this point but a RBR. Any clues? Thanks... Ralph

#54 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 580 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:04 PM

Are the people having the most problems with their HR34 ones who have one or more of the C31's connected by any chance? I just have a HR24 and HR22 "in the loop" with mine and have experienced none of the above problems. Just wondering....
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#55 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 957 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

Are the people having the most problems with their HR34 ones who have one or more of the C31's connected by any chance? I just have a HR24 and HR22 "in the loop" with mine and have experienced none of the above problems. Just wondering....

I have an HR21 along with my HR34. The HR34 has had the FF(bad auto-correct) issue since day 1 (back in June).

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#56 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:53 AM

Some of the time with my HR34 when I go back and forth between a bunch of recorded videos (say I am keeping track of three or four or five basketball game that I am currently recording), when I press RESUME, the video I have chosen to go back to resumes at a place way different than where it left off. Oftentimes it goes all the way back to the very beginning of the recording. Also, sometimes when I press RESUME to go back to a particular recorded video on the hard drive, the HR34 will switch to the tuner instead.

#57 OFFLINE   LawHawk

LawHawk

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

I have a HR-34 and generally it has been great. But I'm having a problem I never had with my previous HR-24. About half the time I turn it on, there is no audio. Picture is fine, all functions work normally, but no audio. No audio from live broadcast and no audio from recorded items.

I start up the TV and the HR-34 with the DirecTV remote. It doesn't make any difference if I start them up at essentially the same time, or turn the TV on first then the HR-34, or turn on the HR-34 first then the TV. The audio problem happens at the same rate no matter which sequence I use.

Changing the channel does not fix it. Turning the HR-34 off and then on does not fix it. Turning the TV off and then on does fix it but sometimes I have to do it 4-5 times to get it to work. Changing the TV to another HDMI input and then back to the HR-34 input does work but again I might have to do it 4-5 times.

Someone told me it could be the HDMI cable that is the problem. I doubt this because I used the same cable for my HR-24 and it never had this problem once. Still, the cable could have been damaged in the installation or something, so I ordered a new cable on Amazon and when it arrives I will switch it out and see if that fixes the problem.

Have any of you had this problem? How did you fix it?

The reset button also fixes the problem, but it doesn't work every time. When the problem first started happening last fall, I thought I had to hit reset every single time, which was an enormous pain. Now, it's not such a big pain with being able to fix it with a few pressed of the TV power button, but I'd still like to see this problem disappear.

EDIT for others who have the same problem and find this: I figured out that the problem was with the TV and not the receiver. http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=213721

Edited by LawHawk, 04 April 2013 - 06:45 AM.
Problem solved, had nothing to do with receiver.

#58 OFFLINE   -Draino-

-Draino-

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:21 AM

[quote name='jibberyerkibber']The one thing I really like about 0x067e is that it is so fast. I was so surprised. For me, the problems that remain from previous software versions are:

<snip>

</snip>

Not only it the 67E painfully slow for me I also have the issue that you have.

Samsung 55" LED 240Hz HDTV 1080P UN55B8000
(1) HD DVR HR34-700 - 0x808
(1) HD DVR HR24-500 - 
(1) HD DVR HR22-100
(3) HD H24-100

Dell Studio XPS 8300 - Intel Core i7 2600 3.40GHz
Memory: 16GB Dual-Channel
Hard Drive: (2) 500GB RAID 0 (Not Used) 1 Corsair SSD 240GB
Video: Nvidia GeForce GTS 450 1.5GB
27" Viewsonic VX2753MH-LED Digital HDMI
Win7U x64

#59 OFFLINE   jibberyerkibber

jibberyerkibber

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:21 AM

"Not only it the 67E painfully slow for me I also have the issue that you have."

As the days go by, my HR34 gets slower and slower. About once a week I have to reboot it. Then it works fine for about another week. I wish they could fill the GUIDE data back up much faster.

#60 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,692 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

Overall....this update is an improvement...in terms of performance and user interactions.

The Guide and Menu access is noticeably peppier (although no where near the HR24 here), and the channel change response improved over the very slow previous version.

Looks like they're headed on the right path, but still have some work to do.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

Protected By... spam firewall...And...