Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

6yr 622 anniversary

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 11:27 AM

Today marks 6 yrs since I got my 622 and it's still working fine. I hope I don't regret posting this.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

You're lucky. Hard drives usually fail within three years. Do you have any power conditioning connected to the DVR?

You might want to see if you can get an upgrade to a 722 because it is only a matter of time before the hard drive fails on your 622.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#3 OFFLINE   MrDave

MrDave

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:24 PM

Today marks 6 yrs since I got my 622 and it's still working fine. I hope I don't regret posting this.

My original 622 turned 7 years old this week. It was one of the first batch of 622's. My second 622 is a refurb unit that I've had for 3 years now and I believe to be of a similar vintage. These older 622s had a terrible reputation for their poorly-designed and fragile HDMI ports. However, if you're careful/lucky enough to avoid that pitfall then my experience has been that these older units can be pretty bulletproof.

Both my units are heavily used and are stacked in a single cabinet with a 24/7 external cooling fan and a surge protector. Reliability has been good with typically 2 or 3 crash/reboots per year between the 2 units. Over the years I've occasionally wished for 722s with their larger harddrives, but a friend with 2 722s has had to replace at least 3 units that I know of. I think that I'll just stick with what I have, be happy, and hope that bragging on them doesn't jinx me.

#4 OFFLINE   plasmacat

plasmacat

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 214 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

I have no power conditioner. I will keep the 622 until it fails. I have an EHD with all the important stuff.

#5 OFFLINE   Charise

Charise

AllStar/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but with so many early posters who had to have their 622s replaced, I just wanted to share that I ordered my 622 the day they became available--February 1, 2006.  I couldn't get an install date until February 21, but my 622 has lasted all this time with no problems.  We paid $299 for the upgrade privilege then!

I have a Hopper install set for May 15, so after over 7 years of great service, I will be saying "goodbye" to my 622 (and 722), which has gotten tons of use and made my TV viewing nicer!  Having that kind of reliability in an electronic device has been great!! :D

#6 OFFLINE   79MI

79MI

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but with so many early posters who had to have their 622s replaced, I just wanted to share that I ordered my 622 the day they became available--February 1, 2006.  I couldn't get an install date until February 21, but my 622 has lasted all this time with no problems.  We paid $299 for the upgrade privilege then!

I have a Hopper install set for May 15, so after over 7 years of great service, I will be saying "goodbye" to my 622 (and 722), which has gotten tons of use and made my TV viewing nicer!  Having that kind of reliability in an electronic device has been great!! :D

That's pretty impressive.  My first 622 was installed mid-2007, I've since had 3 replacements.  The first one lived in out in the main room, while the rest have been in a fan-ventilated AV closet.  They've all lasted about a year and a half, give or take.  Seems they charged about $200 to upgrade from the 522 back then.  Still wouldn't give up the 622, as no one at Dish will give a straight answer on swap functions and such when it comes to a stand-alone Hopper.  Good luck with your upgrade, be sure to report back.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...