Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper/Joey general questions

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   soccerguy

soccerguy

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

It's time to get rid of the VIP622 that has served us well for 6+ years. It's starting to act up a bit and will upgrade to a Hopper. A few questions that I am having a hard time finding answers for:

1. Transfers app- The shows are transferred to the iPad. Then what? Are they then synced to iTunes when you connect the iPad to your computer? I guess I am wondering about the ability to archive a program once I remove it from the iPad. Are the videos in a standard .mov or .m4v format or a proprietary format?

2. Joey cannot do PIP, correct?

3. PIP on the Hopper- On our VIP622 we don't very often use PIP but constantly use the 'swap' button to jump back and fourth between 2 shows. Same functionality on the Hopper?

4. Dish Anywhere app- When using the Dish Anywhere app it utilizes one of the tuners, correct? What about for recorded programs?

Thanks for the help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:03 PM

1. Then you can view it, I would think the recording would still have Dish's encryption and the only way to play it would be via the ipad app. It wouldn't matter what format since it should only play on the ipad.
2. Correct.
3. A little different, you do need two available tuners on the Hopper for the pip to work (if in use by Joey or recording, it would not work), with the 622, it needed to be in dual user mode and would work if tuner 2 was recording (you would see the recording, before anyone asks).
4. DishAnywhere (I have to assume you mean via sling) would use a tuner for Live tv, but not use any tuner if viewing a recording.

#3 OFFLINE   soccerguy

soccerguy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:17 PM

Thanks.

So when you are done with a show on the iPad, it can only be deleted and not archived? Not a deal breaker by any means, just curious as to how it all works.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:52 PM

there are DRM shows, like from HBO ... and not ...
you should dig into the files and tell us

#5 OFFLINE   TheGrove

TheGrove

AllStar

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:49 AM

It's time to get rid of the VIP622 that has served us well for 6+ years. It's starting to act up a bit and will upgrade to a Hopper. A few questions that I am having a hard time finding answers for:

1. Transfers app- The shows are transferred to the iPad. Then what? Are they then synced to iTunes when you connect the iPad to your computer? I guess I am wondering about the ability to archive a program once I remove it from the iPad. Are the videos in a standard .mov or .m4v format or a proprietary format?

Not sure if this would work for you, but you could put an EHD on the 622 and transfer your shows to that then transfer the EHD to the Hopper and the shows will be viewable on it. That is what I did when I replaced my 622 & 722 with hoppers.
2 Hoppers (2 - 2TB EHD)
1 Joey

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:28 AM

Short version is that unless they're DRM'd (HBO for example) then it keeps a copy on the drive. You can't 'archive' the video files from the iPad.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   soccerguy

soccerguy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

Not sure if this would work for you, but you could put an EHD on the 622 and transfer your shows to that then transfer the EHD to the Hopper and the shows will be viewable on it. That is what I did when I replaced my 622 & 722 with hoppers.

I just discovered last night that Dish did away with the one-time EHD fee. I am already digging through boxes looking for an old EHD to use.

Pricing question- If I purchase a Joey do I still have to pay the $7/mo fee?

Wish me luck. I am a 13+ year Dish subscriber and will attempt to get the Hopper and Joey free, even though I am not a new subscriber.

#8 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

All leased or purchased receivers have a monthly charge after the first receiver. I can also assist you with upgrading your equipment to the Hopper and Joeys. Please let me know. Thanks.

I just discovered last night that Dish did away with the one-time EHD fee. I am already digging through boxes looking for an old EHD to use.

Pricing question- If I purchase a Joey do I still have to pay the $7/mo fee?

Wish me luck. I am a 13+ year Dish subscriber and will attempt to get the Hopper and Joey free, even though I am not a new subscriber.

#9 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

The transfer of DVR content to an iPad is only accessible with the Hopper - Hopper w/Sling. Thanks.

2. Joey cannot do PIP, correct?

3. PIP on the Hopper- On our VIP622 we don't very often use PIP but constantly use the 'swap' button to jump back and fourth between 2 shows. Same functionality on the Hopper?

4. Dish Anywhere app- When using the Dish Anywhere app it utilizes one of the tuners, correct? What about for recorded programs?

Thanks for the help.

#10 OFFLINE   soccerguy

soccerguy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:29 AM

I can also assist you with upgrading your equipment to the Hopper and Joeys. Please let me know. Thanks.

Can't PM you until I have 5 posts... this may be #5...

#11 OFFLINE   yellohj

yellohj

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

I am needing 5 posts to PM DIRT team too.

#12 OFFLINE   yellohj

yellohj

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:18 PM

soccerguy, I am sorry to flood your thread, but I am looking to replace my 922 and other DVS with H/J too. I play soccer too- hope you don't mind

#13 OFFLINE   yellohj

yellohj

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

soccerguy, those are great questions, btw

#14 OFFLINE   yellohj

yellohj

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:22 PM

I called Dish Customer Service, but they said that I would have to have someone from another group call back and 2 weeks later no call.

I hope to get the answer to my questions once I can PM

#15 OFFLINE   soccerguy

soccerguy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

OK here we go. Hopper and Joey being installed Friday Morning. Looks like BIG changes from the old reliable 622...

Should I see any difference in picture quality? The 622 is almost 7 years old after all...

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,991 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

Yeah, if you bought new better HDTV

#17 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 02:50 PM

Should I see any difference in picture quality? The 622 is almost 7 years old after all...

I would swear the picture quality is noticeably better with the Hopper....might be all in my head though. :)
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#18 OFFLINE   Oilspot

Oilspot

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:30 AM

I would swear the picture quality is noticeably better with the Hopper....might be all in my head though. :)

Mine seemed better also, but some of it is the menu and interface "upgrade" the actual shows seem about the same. The big difference to me was the speed of the new system (most of the time), was better than the 722.

#19 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 297 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

Speed is the biggerst difference. I have not seen any picture difference.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#20 OFFLINE   dbconsultant

dbconsultant

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,257 posts
  • LocationTemecula, CA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

We just replaced our 622 with the Hopper/Joey and the picture is amazingly better! Kind of like the difference between dvd and blueray. Loving our hopper!

Debi

Hopper and one Joey
Sony KDL-40W5100 HDTV
Pioneer VSX-41 A/V Receiver
Magnavox DVD Recorder
Sony DVP-NC665P CD/DVD Player

Sony BlueRay Player

Protected By... spam firewall...And...