Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Thinking of ditching DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:07 PM

^^^
You can't trust that lookup tool. It still needs some work. Just open the standard lineup pdf below it for the real story. It's accurate.

OK, thanks. That makes more sense.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:42 PM

Don't forget about HD $10 fee, if he doesn't do Autopay, or the $99 up front Free HD fee.:lol:
And the $99 on the 2nd Hopper up front fee.

i don't have auto pay and i don't pay HD $10 fee

#83 OFFLINE   andrewddunn

andrewddunn

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:17 PM

I have two 622 receivers . Al everything programming protection plan and electronic billing. No contract. Dish customer 12 plus years. I d like a hopper and two joeys. Can dish offer anything close to discounts offered by directv for comparable set up. Ie genie and two clients? I d like to hear from dirt team but I have not done five posts yet

#84 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

I have heard horrible stories that when you update your credit card number or expiration date online, They will charge you immediately on the due date(if you still have a balance due date) from your bill prior to the next billing cycle, How true is it i'm not sure. To what will happen if you don't pay instantly someone else may answer, that's just what i heard.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#85 OFFLINE   bmetelsky

bmetelsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:06 AM

I recently switched from Directv to DISH. I had two HR-24's with Directv and now have 1 Hopper w/sling and 1 Joey. I love the Hopper & Joey! The technology, to me, seems to be ahead of Directv. I have noticed zero problems related to having fewer tuners.

#86 OFFLINE   andrewddunn

andrewddunn

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:15 PM

on upgrade offer to a hpper and two joeys from two 622 receivers keeping programming as is

#87 OFFLINE   david_jr

david_jr

Godfather

• Registered
  • 409 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

on upgrade offer to a hpper and two joeys from two 622 receivers keeping programming as is

Just make a few more posts so you can PM.

#88 OFFLINE   Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:03 PM

I have heard horrible stories that when you update your credit card number or expiration date online, They will charge you immediately on the due date(if you still have a balance due date) from your bill prior to the next billing cycle, How true is it i'm not sure. To what will happen if you don't pay instantly someone else may answer, that's just what i heard.

I recently updated my credit card expiration date on-line. The current balance was charged to that card on the same date. Nothing horrible about it.

#89 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

I recently updated my credit card expiration date on-line. The current balance was charged to that card on the same date. Nothing horrible about it.

Why not update it and let it be instead of charging on the spot, I know it's going to be paid anyway by the due date, but some people would like the convenience of paying on the due date, I can understand updating by the due date and it won't process in time and getting the late fee, but everything before then should stay the way it suppose to be just like any other service.

Edited by acostapimps, 14 March 2013 - 05:08 PM.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#90 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:41 PM

Technology wise yes both Dish and Directv are different which Dish has an advantage on, everything else is a wash to me IMO, with the price increase both providers are expensive to that extent, with Directv a little more. Yes Directv has more full time HD on RSN, so does Dish on certain channels on certain times during pro games. But if you like to watch a lot of college football or basketball than Dish is better for PAC-12 network on games-only, unless all you need is ESPNU In HD or ESPN,FOX,FX,etc etc for college games.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#91 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,104 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:05 AM

Is one-touch recording of OTA channels (or something similar) integrated into the program guide?

Yes, though guide info for sub-channels is often non-existent.

dcandmc, you can see what OTA guide data is carried for your local market here: http://uplink.jamesl.../locallist.html

OTA is listed below the satellite feeds denoted with -01, -02, -03 etc after the number. (Sat delivered always end in -00)

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DirecTV

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

#92 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

dcandmc, you can see what OTA guide data is carried for your local market here: http://uplink.jamesl.../locallist.html

OTA is listed below the satellite feeds denoted with -01, -02, -03 etc after the number. (Sat delivered always end in -00)

Very helpful, thank you.

#93 OFFLINE   Ray_Schwarz

Ray_Schwarz

Mentor

• Registered
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:14 PM

Why not update it and let it be instead of charging on the spot, I know it's going to be paid anyway by the due date, but some people would like the convenience of paying on the due date, I can understand updating by the due date and it won't process in time and getting the late fee, but everything before then should stay the way it suppose to be just like any other service.

What does Direct do when you update your credit card ?

Edited by Ray_Schwarz, 16 March 2013 - 02:15 PM.
problem with quote

#94 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 364 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:34 AM

But also keep in mind that the SD from Dish with Hopper/Joey isn't anywhere near as horrible as D*'s best SD. Many SD channels look to be nearly DVD quality, though sports is not one of them. I don't watch much in SD, but I also don't avoid watching something in SD if that is the only way it is available with Dish. With Direct, I actively avoided SD since it was nearly unwatcheable imo.

How does dish's HD compare to D*'s? I've heard it's not as good. Some call it HD light. If that's the case, I would rather sacrifice SD quality than HD quality. However, I have an older CRT 1080I set that does pretty good with D*'s SD.

I've read that there is not much difference in the HD's and that most people can't tell. When I had TW, their HD was a little blurry and not very sharp. Then when I switched to D*, I noticed the difference. So my feeling is that I would notice it.

1 HDR 34

1 HDR 24-500
2 HD 25's
Slimline Dish 3LNB
Whole Home DVR

Epa, Epa, Andale, Andale, Arriba, Arriba, Eeeha

#95 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:44 AM

Thats harsh, Stupid, Stupid are the ones that do it, and complain when their card is charged more then was supposed to be.

Okay, I've got auto-pay from Dish. A few days before they charge my card, I get an email that says, "Your bill is ready." That email shows exactly what they're going to charge me. I review it every month. Then, a few days later, I get another email saying, "You've made a payment" and again includes the exact same information about exactly how much Dish charged.

If you charge to a credit card, you can always dispute charges if Dish makes a mistake. I wouldn't give them my checking account, because you don't have the same kinds of protections built in.

I guess I've never had a problem with it. So I don't see the issue. Perhaps those who have could shed light on what went wrong with the above process.

#96 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 583 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 05:50 AM

How does dish's HD compare to D*'s?

As a very sensitive viewer, I felt when I switched that Dish's HD was just slightly less "wow" than DirecTV's. There was a certain lack of sharpness on the best programming (things like BBC's Planet Earth/Frozen Planet) that I could detect. However, I thought it was "acceptable" and I'm a fussy viewer. I can't speak for any improvements, as I no longer have the A/B to compare. I am fine with the picture now.

That said, HD LiL for me is drastically poorer than OTA. I keep meaning to set up a video camera and try to capture the differences. It may be because I'm in a small market, but the color depth is poor and there are a ton of motion artifacts visible on the Dish signal. My wife notices none of this.

I believe Dish's SD programming is slightly better than DirecTV's. Others feel differently.

#97 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,346 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 March 2013 - 09:14 AM

What does Direct do when you update your credit card ?

updates it with no charge even on the due date, as it gets processed immediately, but I update cc online, I'm probably sure it's the same on the phone.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#98 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 30 March 2013 - 10:39 AM

How does dish's HD compare to D*'s? I've heard it's not as good. Some call it HD light. If that's the case, I would rather sacrifice SD quality than HD quality. However, I have an older CRT 1080I set that does pretty good with D*'s SD.

I've read that there is not much difference in the HD's and that most people can't tell. When I had TW, their HD was a little blurry and not very sharp. Then when I switched to D*, I noticed the difference. So my feeling is that I would notice it.

Technically D*'s HD is better, but as has been said many times, including by me, the difference is slight to the viewers eye. I had my HR24-500 and new Hopper hooked to the same TV for a couple days when I switched and I literally could not see a difference between the two when I switched back and forth on the same channel. Couldn't do an actual side-by-side as my TV is 73" and there isn't room for two of those side by side.

With your CRT set, I suspect that most SD would look decent. But on these newer LCD/LED/Plasma sets it takes very good SD to look good. Dish's is better than Direct's, but neither are up to DVD quality. But it is very channel dependent too, with some channels being excellent and sliding all the way to horrible.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#99 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 March 2013 - 07:22 PM

a couple of years ago (maybe 3) I had a chance to do a blind test of DirectTV, Dish, and OTA for a week. I was in a house with all 3 for that period of time, and I had my wife change the HDMI into the flat screen (high end Panny plasma, 54") from IRD to IRD and the OTA feed, same channels and shows. It was easy to pick out the OTA, it was pretty clearly a better picture and even my wife could see that. It was more challenging to differentiate Dish from DirectTV, but I picked the DirectTV picture as the better one about 70% of the guesses. That was over a week, several channels (networks, ESPN, HBO, and some of the major cable channels.)

I will say this, our Fox HD feed here in our area is pretty weak. My wife watches Glee, and you can really tell in close ups of faces, it's just kind of grainy. But that may well be just the HD feed from our local Fox affiliate.

#100 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 583 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:58 AM

I think the credit card charge instantly thing is a way to verify that the card is valid. In other words, so many people have tried to scam Dish by changing their credit card to an invalid number and then refuse to pay that Dish has had to implement a scheme to make sure this doesn't happen. Now, arguably, Dish could retain the information on the old card until the next billing cycle, but that would be more complicated to implement. Charging the next billing cycle immediately serves as an effective way to ensure that the customer isn't planning on cheating Dish out of payment. If the charge goes through, the database gets updated and all is well.

Nobody ever said theft didn't cost other people money.

spam firewall