Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Installing HP Officejet Pro 8600

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:55 AM

I just received a HP Officejet Pro 8600 as a warranty replacement for a defective HP Photosmart. After unpacking, I noticed it did not come with any ink cartridges, so I went and purchased the correct HP cartridges. I went through the setup process and it continues to fail at Alignment. It seems that it only wants to install using special setup ink cartridges, which of course were not included. I have completed the setup, but I cannot get the printer to print other then blank pages. Anyone know how to get this printer to print with the purchased ink cartridges? HP sure doesn't know how!!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,487 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

Don't have an answer, but special setup cartridges are a new one for me...but fits for HP.

Personally, I think they should ship you free setup cartridges.

#3 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:06 PM

This might help:

http://www.resources...m/docs/item4792

#4 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

New one for me too! They are shipping me a new printhead with the cartridges. But I fixed my issue - I had to do a Clean Printhead process 3 times and then Align and voila - it prints!!!!! I found a video online that showed the process to fix printing issues - so I figured it couldn't hurt to try and it fixed whatever was wrong.

#5 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:14 AM

I have given up on HP printers. I have a Photosmart HP 6300 All-in-one and I hate it. It constantly loses wireless connection. It will even lose its hard-wired connection.

Also, when doing ANYTHING, the blasted unit realigns and cleans itself which takes upwards of 2 minutes. It does this even when doing a scan to a USB drive.

The print head failed in the warranty period and it took me over 2 hours on the phone with HP for them to understand the problem and send a new print head.

When the wireless connectivity failed, I got HP to agree to get on the phone with a local HP tech to run through the setup. They completely screwed up the agreed upon time. Apologies were made and we finally worked it out (until it lost itself again).

Currently I use the thing as a stand-alone since it has trouble connecting with my PC. Oddly, just plugging the USB cable into my daughters Mac works fine. The printer doesn't even show up on my PC.

What's ironic is I work directly across the street from HP HQ.

#6 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,354 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

I've given up on HPs as well. I have an OJ 4500 All-in-one that keeps freezing up. It won't print, copy, scan, or even turn off unless I pull the power cord. It resets, and all is normal again, until the next time it freezes.

It also slurps ink like water. The last time I needed some (you never run out when you aren't printing, right) I went to Staples, and they were selling Brother laser printers for only slightly more than an HP ink cartridge. I bought one and haven't had any problems. Now we only use the HP if it has to be in color, or we want to scan, fax, or copy something.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#7 OFFLINE   CATCRAW

CATCRAW

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

I too have had issues with HP Printers, but I have to admit, they have always made it right. They agreed to send me a new printer since I have had ongoing printhead issues and my printer would be out of warranty in April. Only it would have been nice if they sent the "special ink setup" with the printer or at least mentioned it in the setup guide. I didn't find out until I purchased brand new ink and installed it that I had an issue. I finally figured out how to get around it and make it work - you would think HP Techs would have known, but no..... Scary that I could figure it out and they couldn't......

#8 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,354 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

Did you really get to talk to an HP tech? Or was it someone in an Indian Call Center? I had an issue with an older HP All-in-One that had an early multi-card reader in it. I bought a new Compaq desktop, and every time it booted, it would hang if the printer was attached (by USB). Since HP bought Compaq some years previously, you would think they would make sure their computers worked with all existing models of their own printers, or at least know of problems that might turn up. All I got out of the Call Center was 1) Run System Restore to reset your (brand new) computer to factory spec, and 2) contact your printer manufacturer (uh, that would be you, dip$4!+).

While arguing with him that I wasn't about to re-install all the software and drivers I just installed, I was also searching the HP/Compaq support website, and finally found a KB article explaining that the computer considered the card reader to be a removable drive and for some stupid reason the BIOS was set to boot from it in preference to other media, so it was waiting for me to insert a bootable Compact Flash or SD card. I changed the boot order and that fixed the problem. As far as a I know, if I had depended on him, I would still be waiting for him to find the solution on his company's own web site.
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#9 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

I too have had issues with HP Printers, but I have to admit, they have always made it right.

Despite the problems I mentioned previously, HP always made it right. The issue is I have spent hours upon hours with tech support, both local and not-so-local trying to work things out. If I by a product, I expect it to work reliably for a minimum of the warranty period.

I mentioned my woes to one of my work colleagues. He asked me how much the printer was. I told him and he said, "Throw it away and get something else, it's not worth your time"

I guess that's true, but what aboutt he extra in cartridges? They're worth more than gold!

#10 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,488 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 18 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

I've been an HP user ever since the days of the 820 monochrome inkjet. On the whole, I've seen fewer paper jams an NO skewed printouts with the many HP's I've owned. My current inkjet is an HP Photosmart 1215 (1210 family) that I have networked. I've had a few issues with the duplexer when doing two sided printing, but otherwise, it operates flawlessly. I also have a Brother ML2170W monochrome laser printer running wirelessly to several computers throughout the house. If it only had duplex capability, it would be doing all my B/W printing.

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#11 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,306 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

I've had an HP 1315 all-in-one for about six years.

I've only had two issues. Envelopes often don't feed at all and I have to retry a couple times after getting an error message and clearing the jammed envelope. HP Advanced photo printing paper won't feed at all, but HP Premium photo printing paper works just fine for pictures. The back of the premium paper is rough; the back of the advanced paper is smooth.

I have refilled cartridges a couple times at Costco and the refills work and are a money saver.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

Protected By... spam firewall...And...