Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Dish channel moves today

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:33 PM

TRU-TV moved from 204 to 242
SpikeTV moved from 168 to 241
NUVO moved from 167 to 243

You will have to redo any timers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:36 PM

I meant to post this in the general dish thread. Maybe a mod can move it please. Thanks

#3 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,723 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

So moved ... and Spike finally gets away from the kids programs.
TruTV is probably better off away from the news channels.
Hopefully the shuffles are a sign of good to come.

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,586 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:32 PM

Fixed my favorites lists after seeing the uplink report.

I had a custom favorites that included TRU for the upcoming NCAA tournament games starting next week.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#5 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

It would be nice if Dish was able to automatically update favorite lists and timers when there are channel changes.
Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,586 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:44 PM

It would be nice if Dish was able to automatically update favorite lists and timers when there are channel changes.

I have mentioned this before... In cases where they know the changes being made, it seems like they could make the firmware smart enough that they could send an update that automatically changes favorites lists and timers from the old to the new when they move a channel to a different number.

It really could/should be painless for the customer.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,723 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

Just when I say that there are not enough moves to make such a feature worthwhile DISH will increase the number of moves. :)

But here is a thought ... there is an internal channel number. For TRU the internal numbers for the SD channels are 223 (WA) and 20204 (EA). The internal numbers for the HD channels are 4130 (4204 both arcs), 4416 (4416 on spot), 17706 (4416 on different spot), 18223 (4423 WA), 24523 (4423 EA), 18430 (4424 both arcs), 18625 (4524 on spot), 18626 (4524 on different spot), 5556 (5556 on spot), 17722 (5556 on different spot) and 5375 (9430 on both spots). These internal numbers stayed the same when the channels moved to 242. (I have not checked the internal numbers for the other two channels.)

So if they tied the recordings to the internal channel number theoretically the recordings would move with the display channel.

Even in the current case I am surprised that the HD timers did not remain set. They are on the same "public" four digit channels. If the timers were set on the four digit number instead of the mapdown the timer should have survived.

But it is apparent that DISH uses the mapdown number if timers are set on it for HD (the Hopper/Joey do not show the higher four digit channels). And DISH uses the public channel number for SD channels. So the timers must be checked and reset.

It doesn't happen that often ... until it happens often enough to annoy. :)

Another common request is to update timers when a HD version is added. That would be a nice feature as well. It would not be helped by using the "internal channel number" but teaching the machine to notice that there is a HD channel and make the change should not be impossible (using the mapdown numbers).

Then again ... people would complain that their hard drives filled when their SD timer turned into a HD timer and took up all their space. Which means it would probably need an "OFF" switch and some explanatory text.

One further note: Thanks to name based recording anything set on those channels would fail. So people who were out of town when the channels moved were out of luck. :(

Protected By... spam firewall...And...