Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

NBC restructured schedule - "Smash" to Saturday

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,138 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 13 March 2013 - 05:39 PM

The only real question is "what took so long???" From The Hollywood Reporter article:

NBC has made a slew of scheduling changes for the coming weeks, as The Voice prepares its return.

Struggling sophomore drama Smash has been relegated to the Saturday slot beginning April 6 and will continue to air in the 9 p.m. slot until the 17-episode season ends, the network said Wednesday.

In its place, NBC has slotted upcoming unscripted relationship show Ready for Love from producer Eva Longoria on April 9 with a two-hour premiere beginning at 9 p.m. following The Voice, which launches season four March 25.

From USA Today:

Other changes: Matthew Perry sitcom Go On will air this season's final two installments on Thursdays at 9:30, behind The Office, on April 4 and 11, a crucial test for its survival. The New Normal will air a one-hour season finale on April 2, while Whitney wraps up its season with a one-hour episode on March 27.

NBC had a stellar fall, thanks mostly to Sunday Night Football and The Voice, but saw ratings plummet in January when both of those shows were off the schedule. The Voice returns March 25 along with new drama Revolution, another bright spot, after a four-month break.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 13 March 2013 - 06:23 PM

Is it any wonder people cautioned about two or three programs making or breaking a channel (a la AMC).

I'd rather they throw their weight behind Sing Off as The Voice is too much like a competitor's very successful show. Sure, the show is keeping NBC somewhat relevant but there has to be something different that won't have to go head-to-head against a ten year juggernaut.

I'm pretty much done with the personal drama train wrecks that these shows seem to feature. I'm drawn to talent, not travail. I want to feel happy for the contestants, not sorry.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 06:17 AM

For fans of the show, did you enjoy those last two performances as much as the Mrs. and I? We thought they were great.

/steve

#4 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,046 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Saw them ... loved 'em.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,656 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

Sadly I gave up on this one about 2 episodes into the last season. I thought the performances were great -- how could they not be with the spectacular Ms. Hilty -- but the writing was so painful.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,046 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:49 AM

Sadly I gave up on this one about 2 episodes into the last season. I thought the performances were great -- how could they not be with the spectacular Ms. Hilty -- but the writing was so painful.

I thought about doing the same thing.  In fact, my wife calls it a "a distracting and convoluted mess of sub-plots".

Nonetheless, I continue to watch.  I think the musical value far exceeds the failings of the writers, and for that reason alone, I'm sorry that the series will soon go away.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:18 PM

I think the musical value far exceeds the failings of the writers, and for that reason alone, I'm sorry that the series will soon go away.

Makes two of us.
/steve

#8 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:10 PM

I almost gave up a few episodes ago when no one was singing. Just a few lines by Anna or something. I really miss seeing Karen singing. She gives me goosebumps.
  • Henry likes this

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#9 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:21 PM

Is it any wonder people cautioned about two or three programs making or breaking a channel (a la AMC)...

If a program could break a channel, Do No Harm would have been one deadly coffin nail. I don't think one program can break any channel.

Making a channel is a different story. Almost every success story about a cable channel is that it found that one program or two that basically built the channel the way DiMaggio or Mantle built the Yankees. There are a lot of examples, from HBO to FX to TLC to Bravo. AMC is a prime example.

• Henry likes this
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,046 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:46 PM

If a program could break a channel, Do No Harm would have been one deadly coffin nail. I don't think one program can break any channel.

Making a channel is a different story. Almost every success story about a cable channel is that it found that one program or two that basically built the channel the way DiMaggio or Mantle built the Yankees. There are a lot of examples, from HBO to FX to TLC to Bravo. AMC is a prime example.

Agree.

Knowing and satisfying your audience is what will make or break a network. Anyone remember the break in Olympic coverage to show us a preview of a soon-to-be cancelled show?  Makes you wonder about the intelligence behind the feathers.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#11 OFFLINE   balboadave

balboadave

Legend

• Registered
  • 187 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

In slightly hopeful news for the series, Two-Hour "Smash" Season Finale to Air on Sunday, May 26 from 9-11 PM.

#12 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:33 AM

I almost gave up a few episodes ago when no one was singing. Just a few lines by Anna or something.

They should take a lesson from Glee, which just got renewed for 2 more years. I doubt many folks watch it for the story.

/steve

#13 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:17 PM

They should take a lesson from Glee, which just got renewed for 2 more years. I doubt many folks watch it for the story.

Agree totally.  In fact, the stories were so bad on Glee that I gave up.  The music was not worth the agenda being shoved down my throat.  But the music was pretty phenomenal the first two years.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,046 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 25 April 2013 - 12:55 PM

Agree totally.  In fact, the stories were so bad on Glee that I gave up.  The music was not worth the agenda being shoved down my throat.  But the music was pretty phenomenal the first two years.

I agree with you and Steve. I too stopped watching Glee because the story line stopped making sense.  My only recollections now are the music.  I'm reminded of it every day when I play my MP3 player.

Unlike Glee, and for all it's convoluted story lines, Smash still holds my viewing interest. Mostly though, it's all about the songs and their settings.

I'll be sorry to see it go.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#15 OFFLINE   elaclair

elaclair

Rescued Racers Live Here

• DBSTalk Club
  • 950 posts
  • LocationDel Mar, CA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:47 AM

Not that I really expect it to happen, but I would love to see the full production of Bombshell and Hit List.....would be a great send off for the series if/when it got cancelled.

• Steve and Henry like this

#16 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,046 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:02 AM

Not that I really expect it to happen, but I would love to see the full production of Bombshell and Hit List.....would be a great send off for the series if/when it got cancelled.

Same here, elaclair. I haven't been to the theater in years but these two productions would change that instantly. If only...

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#17 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,189 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 01:53 PM

IMHO, best Smash episode ever last night. After all that led up to it, Jimmy's "Love I meant to say" totally got to me. And kudos to the writers for the flashback scenes. "Brilliant!", as Derek would say.

• Henry likes this
/steve

#18 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,046 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

IMHO, best Smash episode ever last night. After all that led up to it, Jimmy's "Love I meant to say" totally got to me. And kudos to the writers for the flashback scenes. "Brilliant!", as Derek would say.

Loved it.

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#19 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,063 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 06 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

It was wonderful!  But I still want to see Karen sing!!!  Seriously, she is the star, along with Ivy.  And it has been weeks since they featured her.

My Setup

#20 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,046 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 06 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

It was wonderful!  But I still want to see Karen sing!!!  Seriously, she is the star, along with Ivy.  And it has been weeks since they featured her.

That's what happens when you have more talent than air time.  

I was amazed at Tom's wonderful rendition of Billy Joel's "Vienna".

They are all so good!

VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

spam firewall