Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

American Idol (Top 10) 03/13/2013

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Who Were Your Favorites? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

Who Were Your Favorites?

1. Amber Holcomb (3 votes [8.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.57%

2. Angie Miller (5 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. Burnell Taylor (3 votes [8.57%] - View)

4. Candice Glover (7 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

5. Curtis Finch, Jr. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Devin Velez (3 votes [8.57%] - View)

7. Janelle Arthur (4 votes [11.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

8. Kree Harrison (7 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

9. Lazaro Arbos (1 votes [2.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

10. Paul Jolley (2 votes [5.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,808 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 13 March 2013 - 08:56 PM

Discuss... :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:12 PM

Candice was definitely my favorite tonight.

Kree was my second, Angie was my third favorite, and Janelle my fourth.

The other female contestant, Amber, I thought sounded great, but I didn't feel the song like I do when I hear Kelly sing it, so it rang false to me.

On the guys side... I really wasn't feeling it.

Burnell really doesn't do anything for me. I found Curtis to be extremely boring tonight.

I thought Devin was okay... far better than most of the judges seemed to think.

I thought Paul did a good job of taking Jimmy Iovine's advice. It was a definite improvement.

Like Amber, Lazaro seemed out of touch with the song to my ears... lacking the emotion that Kelly managed to imbue the song with, so it was disappointing to my ears.

I think Candice, Kree, and Angie will be safe. I suspect Janelle will be safe as well... probably even Amber. I suspect it will be a guy going home tomorrow.

#3 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,402 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:05 AM

I thought most of th eperformances last night were, as Simon used to say, Karaoke. During their interviews, many of the contestants said, "I can connect to this song" blah blah blah, yet only one truly felt connected - Candace.

I think Amber had the best 'Pop' performance of the night, but the reason it was so good was because the musical mechanics of the performance were good. I think she lacked connection.

#4 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:06 AM

Candace and Amber had strong performances.
Paul was improved and controlled.
The judges were too hard on Devin.
Angie still seems to be in that pageant.
Lazaro is going on "courage" and can't last too long.
Don't like Curtis, get the feeling he's pretend religious.
Kree and Janelle are okay but just not feeling it.
Burnell has been good but wondering how he'll hold up over time.

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup 

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

#5 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:17 AM

DialIdol.com has the following rankings.

Spoiler

They had 8 of the 10 right last week, so this could be totally wrong of course, but still... I strongly disagree with multiple rankings listed.

#6 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:08 PM

Lazaro will ride the pity vote another week, then ...

Devin is right behind Lazaro - but no pity vote.

Girls are super-strong this year. By AI standards, that probably means a guy will win it ... the least talented the better. :rolleyes:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#7 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:58 PM

Lazaro will ride the pity vote another week, then ...

Devin is right behind Lazaro - but no pity vote.

Girls are super-strong this year. By AI standards, that probably means a guy will win it ... the least talented the better. :rolleyes:

Apparently you did not watch the results show...

DialIdol had the right person eliminated, but the rankings differed greatly once Ryan (for the first time) announced them.

The Top 3 were not given rankings outside of the fact that they were in the Top 3. They were Angie, Candice, and Kree.

Lazaro was fourth.

Amber was fifth.

Janelle was sixth.

Burnell was seventh.

Paul was eighth.

Devin was ninth place.

#8 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

I saw the show... remember, I have to watch all of them.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#9 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:13 PM

I saw the show... remember, I have to watch all of them.

Oh... OK. Your comment about Devin made me think you were just going by the DialIdol results I posted. My bad...

#10 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

BTW, for those few who care, the theme for the TOP 9 will be the Lennon/McCartney songbook.

Ne-Yo and last year's runner-up Jessica Sanchez will perform on Thursday.

#11 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:35 PM

Oh... OK. Your comment about Devin made me think you were just going by the DialIdol results I posted. My bad...

NP, my friend. :)

I don't pay any attention to any of the rah-rah sites out there. I watch the program and decide who I like and don't.

Lazaro, I like. Too bad he's leaving soon, but hey, the stuttering crutch will get you just so far. Both the wife and I like him, but we both recognize that his singing just doesn't compare well with the others.

Devin, I don't like ... not his style, his song choices or his looks. Besides, we already have one Jose Feliciano. The wife likes him, though.

What we really need is another Luther Vandross ... oh, I see. Sorry about that ... never mind. :rolleyes:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#12 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:00 PM

I don't pay any attention to any of the rah-rah sites out there. I watch the program and decide who I like and don't.

I check out DialIdol just for curiosity.

I also have the AI app on my iPad and iPhone, and had intended on playing the game where you predict who's safe each week, but I forgot to submit my picks this past week. Sadly, I would have gained points had I submitted it. :(

Lazaro, I like. Too bad he's leaving soon, but hey, the stuttering crutch will get you just so far. Both the wife and I like him, but we both recognize that his singing just doesn't compare well with the others.

My personal opinion is that Lazaro will go the furthest of the guys. I don't think CWS (Cuban With a Stutter) is the next WGWG, but I think he's the sole threat for the girls this year... and the rankings this past week seemed to indicate that I am most likely correct.

I didn't care for him this past week, but I like him too. Most of his performances, I find too Broadway though. Not a contemporary recording artist.

Devin, I don't like ... not his style, his song choices or his looks. Besides, we already have one Jose Feliciano. The wife likes him, though.

I, and members of my family, like him quite a bit. He's probably my favorite of the guys, but then, I'm not real impressed with the guys overall, so that's not exactly the ringing endorsement it sounds like.

#13 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,246 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 18 March 2013 - 12:54 PM

I check out DialIdol just for curiosity.

I also have the AI app on my iPad and iPhone, and had intended on playing the game where you predict who's safe each week, but I forgot to submit my picks this past week. Sadly, I would have gained points had I submitted it. :(

My personal opinion is that Lazaro will go the furthest of the guys. I don't think CWS (Cuban With a Stutter) is the next WGWG, but I think he's the sole threat for the girls this year... and the rankings this past week seemed to indicate that I am most likely correct.

I didn't care for him this past week, but I like him too. Most of his performances, I find too Broadway though. Not a contemporary recording artist.

I, and members of my family, like him quite a bit. He's probably my favorite of the guys, but then, I'm not real impressed with the guys overall, so that's not exactly the ringing endorsement it sounds like.

Sorry, Alan, it wasn't my intent to put you on the defensive.

I call them "rah-rah" sites because about all you can glean from them is the opinion of the masses, for which I have no care. I either like the contestant or I don't, and I don't really care what anyone else thinks about my opinion. I guess it's a generational relevance thing.

The kids doing the majority of the voting are a fickle crowd. If their voting is in any way consistent, then Lazaro has a chance. Personally, I don't think they will, which leads me to conclude that he doesn't. The only thing he has going for himself is the pity vote. IMO, he's already cashed that in, so unless he develops one hell of a singing voice and selects songs with a general appeal, I give him little chance for longevity.

As for Devin, good for you, but I do wonder ... what if Lazaro had sung a bi-lingual song instead?

You are right. The men are trailing the ladies badly. I don't really think a guy will win it this year - my previous sarcasm notwithstanding.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#14 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8,808 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 01:16 PM

Sorry, Alan, it wasn't my intent to put you on the defensive.

I call them "rah-rah" sites because about all you can glean from them is the opinion of the masses, for which I have no care. I either like the contestant or I don't, and I don't really care what anyone else thinks about my opinion. I guess it's a generational relevance thing.

Not defensive... just explaining my reasoning.

I follow several of this year's contestants on Twitter, and read the occasional article on a non-Idol specific site, but I don't really go out searching stuff either.

I'm the same way... I like WHO I like, and I offer no apologies for it. If others feel differently... well, different strokes for different folks. :)

The kids doing the majority of the voting are a fickle crowd. If their voting is in any way consistent, then Lazaro has a chance. Personally, I don't think they will, which leads me to conclude that he doesn't. The only thing he has going for himself is the pity vote. IMO, he's already cashed that in, so unless he develops one hell of a singing voice and selects songs with a general appeal, I give him little chance for longevity.

I think he's the only guy who stands a chance. I don't expect him to win though...

As for Devin, good for you, but I do wonder ... what if Lazaro had sung a bi-lingual song instead?

I don't know. As I said, I like Lazaro, so it's possible I would have liked it. I liked his victory song (after making the TOP 10)... I just felt a disconnect with his Kelly Clarkson cover.

You are right. The men are trailing the ladies badly. I don't really think a guy will win it this year - my previous sarcasm notwithstanding.

AGREED!

I also think the rankings showing the top 3 spots belonging to women, and the 5 women all showing up in the TOP 6 is quite telling, IMO!!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...