Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

MDU: 168 units is not enough?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   CDJohnson25

CDJohnson25

Mentor

• Registered
  • 75 posts
  • LocationOn a long and lonesome highway, east of Omaha

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:48 AM

Does anyone on here work for or deal with new MDU service? And, does it typically take 11 months to get rejected?:confused: (It usually takes only one date for me... LOL) Today, I received the following canned letter:

Dear CHRIS,

Thank you for your interest in providing DIRECTV services to your residents. We processed your application and (at this time) are not able to offer the single dish solution at the requested location. However, residents can still enjoy the full benefits of DIRECTV by contacting 800.531.5000.

We appreciate your interest in DIRECTV.

Property Name: ********************
Property Lead submitted on: 04/19/2012 13:19:26

Sincerely,

MDU Sales Lead Coordinator
MDULeadsCoor@DIRECTV.com

This communication is the property of DIRECTV and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.

11 months? really? /sigh

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:46 AM

:facepalm:

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:50 AM

"residents" ??

so are we talking about a senior facility? There would be other options.

#4 OFFLINE   woodybeetle

woodybeetle

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:20 PM

Are you trying to set up the complete property or just one unit? Pm me for more info please
Daniel D. Corum
DDCESI/Idiot Proof Television

#5 OFFLINE   cabletech

cabletech

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 02:24 PM

Soo...are you the property owner/manager? Did you make contact thru DTV direct?

Have you tryed going thru a commerical provider for setuping this up?

Try contacting Multibandusa.com.

I have dealt with for years and they are great.

#6 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 14 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

DirecTV is not enamored with senior living communities. Their residents tend to be low end customers and have high maintenance. I still service a couple of single-satellite "round dish" systems I installed a decade ago. I had one resident call me at 2:30 AM to tell me that she had forgotten how to use her remote control and was hoping I could help her with it.

Back when a person could buy a Sony B50 at Circuit City for $50 and there was no significant commitment by DirecTV to the customer or vice versa, putting in your own multiswitch system was practical, but DirecTV did get a lot of ill will from systems that were installed on the cheap and then not maintained.

A few years ago, DirecTV would pass along MDU sales leads that the big system operators determined weren't worth their while to pursue. One dealer passed them on to me to scout out, but we never made a deal with any. The "big boys" passed on them because they didn't appear to be profitable for them, but their costs are lower than ours, so of course they wouldn't be profitable for us, either.

I maintained a dual, stacked trunkline system at a 170 unit upscale condominium back when DirecTV only had half a dozen HDTV channels and used 110 and 119, and my customers there were all gazillionaires and I could charge $500 to $1,000 for a custom installation, but when they wanted me to update them to SWM, even though they agreed to pay me a lot of money for a backbone, I decided that there were just too many ways that I would wind up with responsibilities to the customers that I wasn't willing to meet, so I withdrew my proposal, and they never found a dealer who would register them as an MDU property even though they owned their own home-run wiring.

Edited by AntAltMike, 15 March 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:52 AM

If the OP is inquiring for an elder care facility, Senior TV will handle everything about the design and install.

I maintain one of their installs and it has worked FAR better than I thought it would when I first heard about it.

The Senior TV system was compatible with both wings of the facility, one had single wire pulled from head to every bed, and other wing had trunk distribution wiring. Everything works fine.

spam firewall