Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NY Tax- email from dish

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TimCoh

TimCoh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

DISH

Dear Subscriber,

The New York State legislature is considering a NEW tax that will force you to pay 5% more EVERY month for the DISH service you love.

In this economy, many New York families have cut back on eating out, going to the movies, and attending sporting events, but they can still go home and rely on their favorite television programming for affordable entertainment. Why do your legislators want to tax the one affordable thing they have left?

And for those families who rely on DISH for foreign language programming, this tax punishes them simply for enjoying TV in their own language!

If you don't think it is fair to burden New York families with higher taxes just for watching satellite TV, contact your legislators and tell them: NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO TAX YOUR TV!

Click HERE to use our simple e-mail tool to tell your legislators to balance their budget without busting yours!

Sincerely,
DISH

If the link does not direct you to the correct page, please copy and paste the link below into your browser:
http://www.capwiz.co...2492011&type=ML

For more information visit www.stopthetvtax.com

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   PBowie

PBowie

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

does it apply to cable too?

#3 OFFLINE   TimCoh

TimCoh

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think it is for Satellite. (Or air waves)

#4 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 12:11 PM

Both Dish and Directv are having this problem do not know to much about your cable though. I live in georgia and have the darn messages on alot of channels. Wish they could only put them on where the problem is and not where the rest of us are.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

This is part of the so-called "Multichannel Video Programming Distributor Competition Act".

This is Cable's attempt to exact "franchise fees" and "utility easement fees" from DBS operators since the government has thus far been resistant to charging recurring fees on air.

Cable is bitter that the DBS companies don't have to pay the fees associated with using public rights-of-way nor utility pole contact and conduit fees. They contend that it gives the DBS operators a competitive advantage that the gubmint needs to take away or otherwise negate.

It is pointed directly at DBS operators and does not apply to land-based distributors.

http://assembly.stat...ummary=Y&Text=Y

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:01 PM

I pay tax on my dish bill [ 6% state of Pa.]

Wonder how many states do not have this? [ Tax on monthly bill]

Is the OP saying 5% on top of NY's current tax rate? [ Not sure what current is, tho]

Also, I thought those franchise [ and UEF] fees were part of the cable customer's bill. [ so says Time warner]

Edited by satcrazy, 14 March 2013 - 04:10 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   flaktastic

flaktastic

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

It would be an additional 5% on top of the sales tax which varies by county in NY. 7% where I live. I switched to D* about a year ago from TWC - the franchise fee was a separate line item on cable bills. They also collected sales tax.

#8 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:33 PM

Just signed the petition Directv sub here.

JACK,

#9 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,621 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:43 PM

Just signed the petition Directv sub here.

We had this issue also in Illinois but gladly it was beaten, a lot of residents where angry about the 5% satellite tax that they would of impose on top of everything that we get screwed over which we didn't need.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100 (Deactivated)
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 

SWM 16  SWM 8-Way Splitter  SWM 2-Way Splitter  Slimline 5LNB  

Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#10 OFFLINE   eclipsetrb

eclipsetrb

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:11 PM

Maryland has a small fee think its like a dollar per month but def not 5%

#11 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,201 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:10 AM

In New Hampshire, I think that would get the people showing up in the commons with their rifles.

No state income tax. No sales tax. No DBS tax.

#12 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,203 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

This its the first I'm hearing about it. I hope it doesn't happen.

JACK,

#13 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

I received a similar email from DIRECTV.

EDIT: Actually, extremely similar:

Dear Subscriber,

The New York State legislature is considering a NEW tax that will force you to pay 5% more EVERY month for the DIRECTV service you love.

In this economy, many New York families have cut back on eating out, going to the movies, and attending sporting events, but they can still go home and rely on their favorite television programming for affordable entertainment. Why do your legislators want to tax the one affordable thing they have left?

Many families living in rural regions of our state rely on DIRECTV because cable has chosen not to provide service to their homes and satellite TV is their only choice. This tax punishes them simply for living on farms and rural areas of the state!

If you don't think it is fair to burden New York families with higher taxes just for watching satellite TV, contact your legislators and tell them: NOW IS NOT THE TIME TO TAX YOUR TV!

Click HERE to use our simple e-mail tool to tell your legislators to balance their budget without busting yours!

Sincerely,

DIRECTV

#14 OFFLINE   AVDoogie

AVDoogie

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:47 AM

This tax increase has been tried in many states.

I can not believe that the state politicians allow this B.S.

The reason that the Cable companies pay a municipal tax, and therefore the subscribers, is due to the fact that the cable companies use the local right-of-ways, power/telephone poles for distribution of service. Additionally, the cable companies are then allowed to have a local monopoly for cable service to municipal residents. There is no such use of right-of-way or power/telephone poles required for satellite reception.

#15 OFFLINE   greatwhitenorth

greatwhitenorth

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:10 AM

In New Hampshire, I think that would get the people showing up in the commons with their rifles.

However, when I was a Wild Blue customer here in NH, I did pay a state tax for internet access, apparently our information superhighway does have tolls...
The opinions expressed here are my own, and do not reflect the opinions of Dish Network.

#16 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:39 AM

This all but guarenteed to pass in N.Y. Did you see the bill that prohibits drinking anything with sugar while watching satellite TV?

#17 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,748 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:12 PM

DISH pulled the NOTAX channels. No tax (this time) ...

http://www.stopthetv...m/ny-alert.html

#18 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:42 PM

This all but guarenteed to pass in N.Y. Did you see the bill that prohibits drinking anything with sugar while watching satellite TV?

Yet another reason, in a long list of reasons, to not live in New York State (or California, or Illinois, or...). Heck, if even Bill Maher can complain about taxes going too high, you know there's a problem!

I wouldn't be surprised to see this tax eventually imposed upon DBS customers.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#19 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 733 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:35 PM

Seriously?

What kind of financial shape is NH in? They must be doing something right.:)

Maybe PA. could take some lessons... They are tax hungry here, and the herd is thinning [ because of this].

#20 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,218 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

I like New Hampshire's motto: "Live free or die." They're pretty much a low tax or no tax state. So, can someone explain, how they have become a blue state 2 elections in a row? Just curious, that's all. It's perplexing.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...