Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NY Tax- email from dish

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Slamminc11

Slamminc11

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,331 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:13 PM

I like New Hampshire's motto: "Live free or die." They're pretty much a low tax or no tax state. So, can someone explain, how they have become a blue state 2 elections in a row? Just curious, that's all. It's perplexing.

They're smart people!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 27 March 2013 - 06:14 PM

I'd say quite the opposite is true, but we won't go there here. ;)

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#23 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

What kind of financial shape is NH in? They must be doing something right.:)

Just don't ask what their property taxes are like. Most of the people I know who work in New Hampshire live in Massachusetts. Here's a relatively comprehensive list of the taxes they do have:

• Interest & Dividends Tax
  • Gambling Winnings Tax
  • Inheritance and Estate Tax
  • Business Profits Tax
  • Business Enterprise Tax
  • Communication Services Tax
  • Electricity Consumption Tax
  • Meals and Rentals Tax
  • Tobacco Tax
  • Real Estate Transfer Tax
  • Timber Tax
  • Gravel Tax
  • State Education Property Tax
  • Utility Property Tax
  • Local Property Tax

Oregon is similar but we have an Income Tax and we get credits for timber.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#24 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 28 March 2013 - 04:36 AM

Those are all taxes that everyone else has. What you missed was the fact that we have state-owned liquor stores that bring in a big chunk of revenue to the state coffers.

What I found to be a shocker (as I live on the NH/MA border) is that the property taxes in MA are NOT a lot less than in NH. In fact, because of other kinds of assessments (the Mass Water Resources Authority comes to mind), many places are now MORE expensive than NH when it comes to property taxes.

The reason we've "gone blue state" is complicated. But one reason was the slashing of aid to the University system that resulted in 50% tuition hikes in one year. Another reason is that the NH GOP, to be honest, was into "too much of a good thing". It's all well and good to keep taxes down and keep government small - but they were getting to the point of letting the roads go to pot(hole) and just not wanting to pay for ANYthing so the population had a predictable response. (The comedic/tragic antics of the GOP on a national scale didn't sit well here either so the locals kind of got "guilt by association" tar-and-feathering).

But that's all off-topic so I'll try to bring it back by saying - those tax decisions are in the hands of the people you vote for. If you don't want a satellite tax, you have to make it known to the right people.

#25 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:00 AM

Cable is bitter that the DBS companies don't have to pay the fees associated with using public rights-of-way nor utility pole contact and conduit fees. They contend that it gives the DBS operators a competitive advantage that the gubmint needs to take away or otherwise negate.

The day cable has to pay for a satellite orbital slot and pay to launch expensive satellites with a 17-year lifespan, they can argue that satellite's costs are too low.

#26 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 784 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 03 April 2013 - 06:44 PM

Just don't ask what their property taxes are like. Most of the people I know who work in New Hampshire live in Massachusetts. Here's a relatively comprehensive list of the taxes they do have:

• Interest & Dividends Tax
  • Gambling Winnings Tax
  • Inheritance and Estate Tax
  • Business Profits Tax
  • Business Enterprise Tax
  • Communication Services Tax
  • Electricity Consumption Tax
  • Meals and Rentals Tax
  • Tobacco Tax
  • Real Estate Transfer Tax
  • Timber Tax
  • Gravel Tax
  • State Education Property Tax
  • Utility Property Tax
  • Local Property Tax

Oregon is similar but we have an Income Tax and we get credits for timber.

PA has all that and more... Not sure about the "timber tax" but the state is selling off sections of national forrest park timber for profit, so I'm thinking that's worse than a tax anyway.
We too have state-owned liquor stores but our govenor is in the process of trying to privatize [ read- sell off] these stores, so that revenue is up for state grabs [ gone]

This is a red state.
[with the crappiest roads on the East coast]
I know it's a bit off topic, but people are taxed out. Glad to see NH is not in the majority.

Edited by satcrazy, 03 April 2013 - 06:55 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...