Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Suggestions for Wireless-N Access Point

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:25 AM

I'm looking for a Wireless Access Point similar to the WAP54G in which the IP address is only use for management reasons, otherwise, it's part of my home network. I had been using a TP-LINK WR740N which wants to set up it's own subnet. Not cool since I already use NAT in my home network, and prevents me from controlling my DVR or BluRay via my phone. Hopefully, this would be Wireless-N instead of G.

Or, to put it another way, I want the access point to act like an access point. I want to set up WPA2, set up the IP address to 192.168.0.245, and let my home modem dole out the IP address and DNS via DHCP lease.

Any suggestions?
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:18 AM

Why do you need a modem? On cable?

I have Verizon FiOS, and there's no modem needed, so I just use an ASUS RT-N66U, which performs perfectly with my 50/25 speed. This is what I just got on a PC that's connected wirelessly on the 5.0 band: Posted Image

It'd probably work well for you too. Really good firmware in that router - very easy to manage.

#3 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,395 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:55 AM

You can use any router, just disable the WAN side (or don't use that port), turn off its DHCP, set it to 192.168.0.245, set up the wireless and plug one of the LAN side ports to your router.

If it's the same wireless band and SSID as you currently have, be sure to set it on a different channel.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#4 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,538 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:59 AM

You can use any router, just disable the WAN side (or don't use that port), turn off its DHCP, set it to 192.168.0.245, set up the wireless and plug one of the LAN side ports to your router.

If it's the same wireless band and SSID as you currently have, be sure to set it on a different channel.

+1. And if it's enabled by default, turn off UPnP as well.

To configure it, you'll need to connect it to your PC first, as if you were setting it up as a new router, and then make the above changes to it. Once you change it's IP, your PC will no longer be able to talk to it, so do that last. Then disconnect it from the PC and connect it to your existing LAN, via the LAN ports. As Dennis mentioned, don't use the WAN port at all.
/steve

#5 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,395 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:06 AM

Once you change the IP, you can just change to that IP in your browser to check on it.

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I'll second the Asus N66U. The thing is brilliant.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,538 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

Once you change the IP, you can just change to that IP in your browser to check on it.

I think you'd have to also change the default gateway on the PC for that to work, no?
/steve

#8 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,395 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

No, the gateway only points to the router for outside access. At that point you would have changed the PC BACK to the local Lan net which might not have been the out of the box default. (some are 192.168.0 . . . some are 192.168.1 . . .)

And for what it's worth, I never use either of those two ranges. They cause problems if you need to VPN to the same one. It's rare, but I've run into small businesses that use one and their home router is the same.

#9 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,538 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:52 AM

At that point you would have changed the PC BACK to the local Lan net

Gotcha. I thought you meant before you connected the PC and the reconfigured router to the local LAN.
/steve

#10 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,969 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

I use a Netgear WNDR4000 running DD-WRT firmware. When set to run as an access point, you can reassign the WAN port to be an additional LAN port.

#11 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

using an intellinet access point here.

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#12 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,395 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:51 PM

I use a Netgear WNDR4000 running DD-WRT firmware. When set to run as an access point, you can reassign the WAN port to be an additional LAN port.

DD-WRT gives a lot of advantages.

#13 OFFLINE   funhouse69

funhouse69

Icon

• Registered
  • 669 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

I play with Networks all the time and unless you want to go with a Controller Based Solution I would check out the EnGenius Line up Access Points. I use them all of the time and they are very very capable.

They supposed pretty much anything / everything you can think of and also support POE so you don't have to have the AC Adapter (but they do come with them).

Here's an example if their Access Points.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16833168091

Give one a try, you won't be disappointed.
Was with D* for over 10 years then switched to the dark-side a few years ago and haven't looked back. I truly enjoy the 50% savings and uninterrupted service

#14 OFFLINE   Mustang Dave

Mustang Dave

Legend

• Registered
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:57 PM

Most routers these days have a "bridge mode". When you enable it that basically turns the router into an Access Point only.

#15 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

I have the access point running, it's part of the network. Thank goodness Amazon updated their firmware for the Kindle so that you now see the passkey for the WiFi.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#16 OFFLINE   BAHitman

BAHitman

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 431 posts
  • LocationAustin Texas

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:08 PM

This has been working for me surprisignly well...

http://www.monoprice...&seq=1&format=2

HR34, HR20x3, HR22, HR23, H24, H21

-BAHitman

spam firewall