Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone order a Blackberry Z10?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

Preordered mone yesterday. Anyone else getting one? I'm just hoping some of the features that were dropped come back soon, especially different notifications for each email account. Still looking forward to it, as long as my new server works :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

If it had come out a year ago (when it should have), I would gotten it. Unfortunately for BB, I moved to Android and don't plan to return to BB. A day late and a dollar short.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:00 AM

When Android was first announced, I wanted to like it. But the fragmentation has soured me on the platform.

#4 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,616 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:07 AM

As a current business Blackberry user...it's possible that our team may get these new devices in the months ahead. My current unit actually works quite well.

That said...

With Android owning 70% of the smartphone market and iOS (Apple) about 21%...I'm wondering just how RIM/Blackberry will fare overall in the future. If the Z10 doesn't fly well (lots of sales)...it could be curtains for this platform.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   hilmar2k

hilmar2k

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,251 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 08:38 AM

As a current business Blackberry user...it's possible that our team may get these new devices in the months ahead. My current unit actually works quite well.

That said...

With Android owning 70% of the smartphone market and iOS (Apple) about 21%...I'm wondering just how RIM/Blackberry will fare overall in the future. If the Z10 doesn't fly well (lots of sales)...it could be curtains for this platform.

There's a reported million unit order from someone for the Z10. Largest order in BB's history. It isn't known if it's an order from a carrier or a government/business customer, but either way, it bodes well for the phone.

I actually think the phone will be a very good phone, just a year late...at least for me.

#6 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:12 AM

I got one at the launch courtesy of BlackBerry and am using it (off an on).

It's a good phone, not great and revolutionary. It's good.
It was hyped up and couldn't possibly deliver.

Once it hits the US market in force, there will be some howling about things that existed on "old" BBs that are now gone. And the UI is a little inconsistent when compared to some others on the market.

It's not even the best phone for me on my desk. I like my HTC 8x Windows Phone better. It works better for me.

And a year late.

The one million order was rumored to be from AT&T. Rumor.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:30 AM

Windows Phone 8 is mainly a non starter here, as it dropped the codec we use for voicemail, and to switch to a supported one would double the size.

Having said that, if I didn't go Blackberry, I probably would go Windows Phone.

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:45 AM

BB? Why? What year is it?
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Windows Phone 8 is mainly a non starter here, as it dropped the codec we use for voicemail, and to switch to a supported one would double the size.

Having said that, if I didn't go Blackberry, I probably would go Windows Phone.

The codec issue is pretty big and Microsoft refuses to accept it as a problem. It IS a problem.

WP8 isn't approved at work (but I get to evaluate things) and I don't see it getting much traction. Nor do I think that the Z10 (or Zed10 if you prefer) and the rest of the BB10 line is going to restore BlackBerry to the top of the heap. Maybe #3.

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

Was diehard Blackberry user for many years ... switched to the iPhone with the iPhone 4 on Verizon (then 4S, now 5) and all is great. I now have a steady smooth upgrade path every year.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#11 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

BB? Why? What year is it?

You clearly haven't seen the new Z10. It's nothing like previous models.

#12 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

Of course it is, window dressing aside.
DTV = Digital Television

#13 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:53 PM

True. But it's way too late for RIMM to make a comeback now. As others have said, Android and iOS own the smart phone market.

Question: will the Z10 use ActiveSync for communicating to Exchange servers?
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 23 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

The OS is nowhere near anything like the old one. It's based on a completely new (to Blackberry phones) system. QNX is nothing like Java.

And yes, unfortunately even with BES10, it uses Activesync. Can't say I'm ecstatic about that actually, at least on the BES side.

#15 OFFLINE   carlsbad_bolt_fan

carlsbad_bolt_fan

Icon

• Registered
  • 738 posts
  • LocationCarlsbad, CA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

The OS is nowhere near anything like the old one. It's based on a completely new (to Blackberry phones) system. QNX is nothing like Java.

And yes, unfortunately even with BES10, it uses Activesync. Can't say I'm ecstatic about that actually, at least on the BES side.

Can't understand the hate for ActiveSync. Its one of the few things Micro$oft puts out that just works.
HR20-700 Connected to 55" Samsung UN55D8000YF via HDMI
HR20-700 Connected to 24" Samsung P2570HD
R22-200 Connected to 32" Sony
D* Customer since 2000

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:11 PM

It does work, but there are some things that some of my users like, or I like with the current blackberry model.

Some of my users like to delete messages off the phone without affecting the exchange account. That's not possible with the new system.

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 28 March 2013 - 06:27 PM

Got mine today. Overall I like it. One of my main issues, the lack of differentiation between email notifications was solved with hub++, though hoping it gets baked in at some point.

spam firewall