Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv, Do you plan on updating the THR22 firmware?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

I know that people that work for Directv read this forum, so tell us, Do you plan on releasing or have TiVo release an update for the THR22 firmware?
There are known issues that need to be addressed.
Your TV adds always feature and make a big deal about having the HD TiVo available and the other service doesn't.
Why don't you follow up with an update to the firmware?
Add some features to the THR22.
You treat the THR22 as a lost leader like the stores use, then when a customer calls in, you pressure them to switch to one of your DVRs, so you just use the THR22 just to draw the customer in.
I sure would like my THR22's to talk to each other, and be able to move a recording from one unit to the other.
It is just a shame that you treat the THR22 as a unwanted ******* child, and just use it as a featured unit on your TV adds to draw in customers.
Even the old HR10-250 TiVo received firmware updates a few months after its release to fix problems that were found.

I besides fixing the known problems, I would like to see:

1, Be able to turn off the front panel LED's as when this is used in the bedroom, as the blue LED's really light up the room.
And don't give me a lame excuse that the lights need to be on for tech support to help diagnose a problem as the tech can just tell the customer to go into the menu to turn them on for testing.
I hate the fact that I have to put masking tape on the LED's so they don't light up the room.

2, Have the TiVo talk to other DVR's in the home, and move recording from one DVR to the other.

3, Be able to choose to disable the Enhanced download as I find it very annoying as it has grabbed the tuner that I was watching at the time.
If there is one thing that really gets me upset, this is it.

I am sure that there are people on the forum that can add to the list.

Come On Directv, Take care of the issues, or recall the THR22's and drop them from your service. Don't just dangle them in front of the people like a treat that they can't have the full functionality to enjoy.

Edited by BAMCAT, 15 March 2013 - 12:09 PM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:43 AM

It's a TiVo issue.
DTV = Digital Television

#3 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

It could be, but D* is the customer and as such can pressure TiVo to fix their product.

#4 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 01:54 PM

It could be, but D* is the customer and as such can pressure TiVo to fix their product.

Your issue is with TiVo, not DirecTV. Why anyone would have ordered one in the first place is beyond me.
DTV = Digital Television

#5 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 847 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

The issue is DirecTV's. They choose whether or not to ask TiVo to make any changes, and DirecTV delivers any firmware updates.

I doubt you will get any kind of response from a DirecTV employee here.

Steve

My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

Hi Steve,
Yes, I know.
They wouldn't have the guts or integrity to respond, but they do read these postings.

I almost wish that D* hadn't released the box until they had all of the bug's fixed.
I have wondered if the people that Beta tested these boxes before they were released came across the few problems, but TiVo/D* didn't care to fix them. They just push the box out the door to get the people that wanted the box to quit calling them about it.

On another subject......
Did you ever hear back from the guy that claimed to be able to copy the recorded programs off of the original hard drive to a larger drive, and then expand the new drive for the THR22?
By now, some cleaver software hacker should have figured it out.

#7 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:24 PM

Can I suggest it would be both a DIRECTV and Tivo issue? DIRECTV gets the blackeye for Tivo's lack of performance and Tivo gets a blackeye for, well, being Tivo, whose performance is becoming legend--it's a legend they actually performed updates for anything. (Sorry, couldn't resist.)

This is reminiscent of perhaps one of the reasons DIRECTV stopped with Tivo receivers in the first place. (That is just a commonly suggested surmise, not something I know was a reason.)

Now, as to "guts or integrity", very few companies communicate status of firmware updates for appliances. Quite a few don't even let on there ever have been updates for a particular model. So I'm not sure why you single DIRECTV or TiVo out for this.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 15 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

At least for the lights issue, the standard way to turn the ring off doesn't work with the TiVo software?

#9 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:19 PM

2, Have the TiVo talk to other DVR's in the home, and move recording from one DVR to the other.

Why did you go with the TiVo when even a tiny bit of research here would have revealed there was very little chance of that happening?

3, Be able to choose to disable the Enhanced download as I find it very annoying as it has grabbed the tuner that I was watching at the time.
If there is one thing that really gets me upset, this is it.

Have you never owned a TiVo before? They've been doing that since the Series 1 units. Why not set up a recording of the show that you apparently watch at that time so it doesn't grab that tuner?

No one forced you buy the TiVo, you chose the platform. Anyone who read the threads here prior to the launch would have been aware of the limitations. If you selected it on what you hoped it would offer, that's on you.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#10 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

Hi Tom,
As to "guts or integrity", If someone at D* would respond that they are planing another release in the future would be nice.
As it stands now, the attitude has been "Your lucky got your HD TiVo, you got what you asked for, a basic DVR. Be happy, don't call us, will call you if we ever offer an updated firmware. If you want more features, get one of our DVR's!"

As for the blue ring, You can get 3 out of the 4 bars off, but if the DVR resets itself, they all come back on.
Your eyes are most sensitive to blue edge of the light spectrum, so even the one bar and the other 2 leds on the DVR and the one on the OTH tuner light up the room.
Putting masking tape on them makes the DVR look real trashy.
It would have been better if they used red or green LED's.

#11 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

At least for the lights issue, the standard way to turn the ring off doesn't work with the TiVo software?

It's answered in the second post of the "THR22 Asked And Answered" thread. http://www.dbstalk.c...547#post2909547

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#12 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:23 AM

Look at it this way. The THR was in development for what.. 6, 7 years. This is the BEST that Tivo could shove out of the door in that time :lol:
There was so much time taken on development that most people thought it would never see the light of day. I don't think it will ever be any better than it is today. Buyer beware? :scratchin
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#13 OFFLINE   Lugnut

Lugnut

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

Hi Steve,
Yes, I know.
They wouldn't have the guts or integrity to respond, but they do read these postings.

I really don't appreciate what you are insinuating here. We, as individual employees, don't comment on any possible upcoming releases (if there are any) as 99% of us don't know any more than you do prior to the day it rolls out.

There's no point speculating on anything related to software updates when we have no information to go on.
"People don't care how much you know until they know how much you care" - John C. Maxwell

DIRECTV Employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV.

My Equipment:
2x HR-24-100
1x HR-22-100
2x H25-100

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,900 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:38 PM

And most likely the techs and engineers would probably agree with the issues, but are not in a position to do anything about it. And that could also include the engineers from Tivo.

#15 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:50 PM

Well, my posting did what I wanted it to do, get a response from a TiVoor D* employee. So D* people do read these forum posts.
Yes, I realize that most employees are out of the loop when it comes to knowing about software releases.
I regret using the term "integrity"
Thank You for your post.

Edited by BAMCAT, 17 March 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#16 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:55 PM

Well, my posting did what I wanted it to do, get a response from a TiVo employee. So TiVo people do read these forum posts.
Yes, I realize that most employees are out of the loop when it comes to knowing about software releases.
I regret using the term "integrity"
Thank You for your post.

I noticed that on your My Equipment list, that you don't have a THR22 and you are a TiVo employee.
Interesting.....

Um... please read a little closer. DIRECTV employee, not Tivo.

And you got a response from someone who doesn't know, can't know, and can't post--by badgering and name-calling. Not a great way to get information... And you got none. Sounds like bad form to me...

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#17 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,842 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

BAMCAT, they are working on updating FW for the model - check how many versions already pushed to gamma testers here

#18 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:37 PM

Oops, Thanks Tom,
Edited my post.

?? I didn't call anyone any names...

I called the THR22 a unwanted ******* child of D*, but then the box doesn't have a right to left diagonal bar on the front of the box, so I guess it isn't.

Just a bit frustrated that for a year there has hasn't been even a simple update to the firmware.

Guess the THR22 is way low on the to-do priority list of projects at one place or the other.

Thanks for the info P Smith!

Back in '80, C Band was a lot more fun!

Edited by BAMCAT, 17 March 2013 - 08:54 PM.

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,252 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:59 PM

Oops, Thanks Tom,
Edited my post.

?? I didn't call anyone any names...

I called the THR22 a unwanted ******* child of D*, but then the box doesn't have a right to left diagonal bar on the front of the box, so I guess it isn't.

Just a bit frustrated that for a year there has hasn't been even a simple update to the firmware.

Guess the THR22 is way low on the to-do priority list of projects at one place or the other.

Thanks for the info P Smith!

Back in '80, C Band was a lot more fun!

What upset some was the insuation that DIRECTV doesn't have the guts... when so few companies release any information. It all boils down to PR.

For that matter, until the firmware is approved, there is little they can release. Sometimes a serious defect can appear at the last moment, ruining a deployment schedule. So then they get a black eye for announcing something that doesn't happen.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

#20 OFFLINE   BAMCAT

BAMCAT

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:18 PM

"What upset some"

Guessing that you might work for one or the other?

It would just be nice if someone would just say that they are working on an update for a future release.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...