Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv, Do you plan on updating the THR22 firmware?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,245 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:46 AM

"What upset some"

Guessing that you might work for one or the other?

It would just be nice if someone would just say that they are working on an update for a future release.

No, I am not employed by either company. I most likely would be in a position whereby I would not be allowed to post about DIRECTV if that were the case. So you didn't step on my toes. :)

Hey, I get it. You're very frustrated. We all get that way sometimes. And everyone is welcome to vent here, we understand. All's I'm sayin' is challenging companies to give up information rarely works.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 18 March 2013 - 11:18 AM

I'd be frustrated too if I had wasted money on an antiquated Tivo just for the sake of keeping a Tivo.... :lol:

#23 OFFLINE   sbl

sbl

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 835 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'm frustrated too, but I did it to keep my wife happy. However, a year down the road, she allows as if the HRxx was faster, she might give up the TiVo. So I'm waiting for the HR44 and maybe I can then give up on the THR22. (Also have an HR21, which as we all know, is the slowest of the lot.)

Steve

My Setup

#24 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:43 AM

1, Be able to turn off the front panel LED's as when this is used in the bedroom, as the blue LED's really light up the room.

I don't know why it's not possible with the TiVo remote but you can do that if you use a regular DTV remote with the unit -- just clicking the "Power" button will turn off the light.

#25 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 09:55 AM

Why did you go with the TiVo when even a tiny bit of research here would have revealed there was very little chance of that happening?

Because it is still the most intuitive DVR available. We left DirecTV when our failing SDTiVos were replaced with R15s and came back when the THR22 was released.

Our current installation includes an HR24, an HR21 (an unexpected replacement for the old SD receiver) and the THR22 in my elderly parents' bedroom. It's simply not possible to describe how much easier my life is now that I don't have to constantly answer/explain/do <whatever> for them. They set up their own recordings and manage everything themselves...after almost 3 years of providing daily on-site tech support, it's bliss for me.

#26 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

If you use any other dvr before using a Tivo, its the most ridiculous interface on the planet, and not intuitive at all.

#27 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:38 AM

If you use any other dvr before using a Tivo, its the most ridiculous interface on the planet, and not intuitive at all.

All I know, is that we've been through four different interfaces and the TiVo is the only one that doesn't require constant handholding. YMMV but there are apparently enough other people in the same category to keep it going as a viable option.

#28 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

2, Have the TiVo talk to other DVR's in the home, and move recording from one DVR to the other.

Why did you go with the TiVo when even a tiny bit of research here would have revealed there was very little chance of that happening?

Because it is still the most intuitive DVR available.

:confused: And what does that opinion have to do with the fact that the threadstarter expects a feature that was documented would not be there at deployment? Is it that, while TiVo may be "intuitive", TiVo owners aren't?

They set up their own recordings and manage everything themselves...after almost 3 years of providing daily on-site tech support, it's bliss for me.

What you consider "bliss" others consider an "annoyance". I shut TiVo Suggestions off the very first day on every TiVo I've owned. I can't keep up with all the shows I've set to record, I don't need the DVR piling on.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#29 OFFLINE   stefanis

stefanis

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 05:51 PM

After reading this entire thread I have to agree that D* doesn't really seem to care about the THR22. And they do use it as a bate and switch item. Sure they seem to be working on firmware changes but it would be nice to know what those changes are even if there is a big 'ol * next to it saying tentitive. We know that it is technically possible to share data between TiVos because it has been done before, and should even be possible for a TiVo to participate in a DTVDVR sharing group as well with a very little bit of file format translation on the TiVo end because that is just a network service. We also know that the switch by D* from TiVo to their own DVRs had nothing to do with the quality of the TiVo unit itself. In fact when the DTVDVR first came out it was actually less capable than the DTiVo and crashed quite often. It was simply a power grab that worked quite well, and that the only reason D* re-engaged with TiVo was because of public out cry.

#30 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:26 PM

After reading this entire thread I have to agree that D* doesn't really seem to care about the THR22. And they do use it as a bate and switch item. Sure they seem to be working on firmware changes but it would be nice to know what those changes are even if there is a big 'ol * next to it saying tentitive. We know that it is technically possible to share data between TiVos because it has been done before, and should even be possible for a TiVo to participate in a DTVDVR sharing group as well with a very little bit of file format translation on the TiVo end because that is just a network service. We also know that the switch by D* from TiVo to their own DVRs had nothing to do with the quality of the TiVo unit itself. In fact when the DTVDVR first came out it was actually less capable than the DTiVo and crashed quite often. It was simply a power grab that worked quite well, and that the only reason D* re-engaged with TiVo was because of public out cry.

Well, at the risk of re-opening a much debated topic, Tivo shares some of the blame, too. Regardless, don't hold your breath expecting any new significant features on the THR22.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#31 OFFLINE   spanishannouncetable

spanishannouncetable

Icon

• Registered
  • 717 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:41 PM

I would settle for a bug fix that's been needed for over a year now -

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=203703

:mad:
Fox News : It grows on you... kinda like cancer.

#32 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 07:45 PM

Because it is still the most intuitive DVR available. We left DirecTV when our failing SDTiVos were replaced with R15s and came back when the THR22 was released.

Our current installation includes an HR24, an HR21 (an unexpected replacement for the old SD receiver) and the THR22 in my elderly parents' bedroom. It's simply not possible to describe how much easier my life is now that I don't have to constantly answer/explain/do <whatever> for them. They set up their own recordings and manage everything themselves...after almost 3 years of providing daily on-site tech support, it's bliss for me.

So it sounds like the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is 100% correct in your case.

#33 OFFLINE   Athenian

Athenian

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:27 PM

So it sounds like the saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is 100% correct in your case.

I'm not sure what that contributed to the discussion.

My point was, they never had to be "taught" anything at all on the TiVo and were always confused by the DirecTV replacements. As soon as the new THR22 was installed, they went on their happy way. People have different priorities when they consider these things and for them (and by extension for me) the more intuitive TiVo interface is a big plus.

#34 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 876 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 08:31 PM

I'm not sure what that contributed to the discussion.

My point was, they never had to be "taught" anything at all on the TiVo and were always confused by the DirecTV replacements. As soon as the new THR22 was installed, they went on their happy way. People have different priorities when they consider these things and for them (and by extension for me) the more intuitive TiVo interface is a big plus.

Of course they had to learn the Tivo interface people don't just pick up the remote and know exactly how to use it. My point is the DTV DVR's are the same they have a learning curve as well, some people just don't want to give them a shot because they compare them to what they are used to.

#35 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:41 AM

Carriers like Directv and Time Warner stifle innovation. Unless they can see a clear path to larger profit they will do everything to block innovation. The same thing happened in the cellphone industry. Cellphone carriers dictated what features would be available in the phones. They had control over the hardware providers. Apple had trouble getting any carrier to pick up the iPhone. Verizon even refused to carry at first. It's the same with TiVo. Directv will allow it to exist but will treat it as a red headed step child. They will make sure it has fewer features and does not compete. They want to retain control. Unfortunately the public cares more about the technology in their cellphone than their DVR so nothing will change.

#36 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,339 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

I don't think overall you can compare DirecTV with Time Warner in terms of innovation. The THR22 is the odd man out, but I've always felt that DirecTV generally is fairly aggressive.

#37 OFFLINE   drumdude

drumdude

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:45 AM

Time Warner fears any innovation. Directv only fears innovation that doesn't come from within. Innovation can make a company obsolete quickly. Just look at RIM (Blackberry).

#38 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,339 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:33 AM

As I'm checking my mail on my Z10 :)

#39 OFFLINE   Spike

Spike

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 06:58 AM

If Directv actually allowed for the exact same software on their Tivos that the Tivo Premiere offers, I for one would snatch up about 3 of them immediately.  But the fact remains, the THR22 is an antiquated device that is not properly cared for from a software perspective (for whatever reason). I've updated 3 DVR's in the past 4 years due to DTV equipment failure and antiquation. During this time I've come close to going with a DTV Tivo numerous times along the way. But pulled back every time, because each time I logically thought it through, and DTV's Tivos have IMO serious drawbacks.  Now that I'm in an area of the country that has better and better HD paid service selections outside of satellite, I MIGHT be done with DTV at the end of my service agreement in a matter of months.  I love live baseball and DTV's signal is much slower reaching my HD DVR than other offerings. I hear, "Strike Three," when I'm on the phone with friends.  And then about 30 seconds later I hear, "Strike Three" on my TV. So the Tivo Premiere offering plus a faster signal transition may be enough to encourage me to switch.  And I've been a DTV subscriber since at least the mid 90's.

In the end, I will take my time and examine my options.  And the quality of DTV's Tivo offering at the time will play a large part in my deliberations.  One other large factor will be the reality of Smart tvs and Rokus being options to be considered in the overall scope of things too.  The bottom line is, I am a consumer with options. So as DTV makes their decisions in regard to the way they upkeep their Tivos,  I think we simply need to determine what is in our best interests too. 

Holy Cow! The Cubs?

#40 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,339 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:52 PM

DId Tivo want the Premiere software to be on the THR22? Could it even, based on the hardware?

As for the delay, that's just physics. Even cable has a delay, just not as much of one maybe.

spam firewall