Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR 34 Overheating

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 09:40 PM

Oops. I meant to say HR 24.

Having some issues with my HR 24 tonight. Hoping someone might have some insight as to what's happening here. Earlier tonight, the receiver became unresponsive to remote control commands as we were trying to delete a program we had just watched. I did a red button reset and it came back on and everything was fine. About an hour later I turned it back on to watch something and there was a message saying the receiver was too hot and would automatically turn itself off, which it did momentarily. It came back up with the message "Your satellite box is over the temp limit. Max safe operating temp is 60 c. Box temp at boot is 65 c." But when I touched the receiver it didn't seem unusually hot to me. And there are no obstructions. And I've never had this problem before. Is my HR 34 losing it or what?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Edited by shendley, 15 March 2013 - 10:00 PM.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,835 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 16 March 2013 - 06:54 AM

Go to Menu/Settings/Sys Info and Test and select More Sys Info in lower right corner.
You will see temp in the listing.

My HR24-200 is out in the open and is at 118F.
If yours reads higher out in open and has no heat around it, then something inside is wrong.

If in a cabinet, it needs better ventilation

#3 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

Oops. I meant to say HR 24.
d
Having some issues with my HR 24 tonight. Hoping someone might have some insight as to what's happening here. Earlier tonight, the receiver became unresponsive to remote control commands as we were trying to delete a program we had just watched. I did a red button reset and it came back on and everything was fine. About an hour later I turned it back on to watch something and there was a message saying the receiver was too hot and would automatically turn itself off, which it did momentarily. It came back up with the message "Your satellite box is over the temp limit. Max safe operating temp is 60 c. Box temp at boot is 65 c." But when I touched the receiver it didn't seem unusually hot to me. And there are no obstructions. And I've never had this problem before. Is my HR 34 losing it or what?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Sounds like your fan stopped working. I've been inside two 24-100s (I'm assuming from your sig that's the model you're talking about) and I don't think you can see the fan without taking the top off. Replacing the fan is really easy. That's assuming you own the 24-100, of course.

Rich

#4 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

I was thinking it was probably the fan as well. I called Directv about it last night and they said to unplug it and let it sit a few minutes before turning it back on. That enabled it to come back without the screen letting it cool down. But the temp was still pretty high (133 F). They suggested replacing it. Interestingly, both the tech person I was speaking with and her supervisor said Directv would guarantee me another 24 as a replacement. I was really surprised by that. Has Directv changed their policy on replacement receivers? I thought they would never specify a particular receiver unless you had whole home.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#5 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,645 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:59 PM

I believe at this point they do try to replace a 24 with a 24 when possible.

#6 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

That's good to know. After leaving the dvr unplugged all night, just watched a couple of hours of recorded tv. Temp went from 79 when I first powered it up to 120 an hour later and 131 two hours later. I wished I owned it so I could just open it up and replace the fan. Always hate to lose recordings when a dvr dies.

AU9, SWM8
Whole Home.

#7 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 803 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

A 24 is replaced with a 24 only now. There is no other option.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#8 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

Yep, it's the fan. Watching tv tonight for a couple of hours and the temp only got up to 108 F. And I can hear the fan going again. Must be some sort of short. I really wish I could just open up that box and have a look.

AU9, SWM8
Whole Home.

spam firewall