Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv & Trees?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

Hi,

I am moving to a very wooded area, with alot of tall trees. Infact, the house basically has a canopy of trees around it and the only clear (pretty much) clear sky is if you look straight up. I would like to try and move my existing service to the new house, but I understand it may be difficult/not possible or require some tree removal or trimming.

My basic question is what ways are there to try and get around tall trees? At first I was thinking maybe go through the trees, since the tree "canopy" is very tall with very little or no branches down low... it probably won't be possible to go above them...How does a pole-mount work?

I'm wondering if it's possible to put the dish on a pole and put it as far from the trees as possible (we own some of the surrounding land), OR that it has to be pointed closer to where the street is, there is a patch of of semi blue sky that looks promising...in which direction does the Slimline have to be pointed for MA, southwest? Also, doesn't the signal come from about 3ft above the top of the dish? (Give or take)

I do know the general area of the southern sky, but anything else is a guess. Sorry for all the questions.

Andy

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,667 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:01 AM

Go to www.dishpointer.com where you can check out line of sight. You will need vision to the DirecTV 99, 101 and 103 orbital slot positions.

Pole mount is possible, but you are limited to about 100 to 150 feet from the house to where you can place your pole. There are ways to go farther, but not radically farther.

You won't be able to look through the trees, you need clear line of sight.

#3 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

there might be a possibility of a KaKu 3 LNB being able to 'shoot' through the hole in the tree cover over the house.

This might be tricky to set up, and wind jostling the trees might preclude this from working.

That app for smart phones that superimposes the sat arc on the cell phone camera output, would be a start, but not a definitive answer, as I have heard the app can be off up to several degrees. But it would give you an idea if the hole in the canopy over the house is big enough and oriented properly. You would want to aim through the center of the hole, obviously, to allow for tree growth and wind swaying them.

You have a tough situation, it will take some leg work. And it may not be feasible. A pole higher than the trees would be very pricey and probably not something you want to look at. Cable length, as mentioned, is another issue.

#4 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,101 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:29 AM

there might be a possibility of a KaKu 3 LNB being able to 'shoot' through the hole in the tree cover over the house.

This might be tricky to set up, and wind jostling the trees might preclude this from working.

The signal is caught and reflected off the dish, LNBs got nothing to do with what your "Shooting at ". And you would need a Big hole. otherwise you run into waving tree branches which would cause a signal outage.

The Directv satellites are above where the lnbs point. The Satellite Finder App for your celllphone works great. And there are free ones.

Edited by damondlt, 17 March 2013 - 06:28 AM.

DIRECTV :Since 5/13/2012
HR34-700 / HR24-500 / HR23-700 / H25-100 / D12-200 /   Roku HD

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5
Slimline 5  / SWiM 16 with CCK / MRV / 15/2 Mbps Blue ridge cable Internet
Premier / MLB EI /  HD Extra /  Protection Plan

#5 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:19 AM

Heh, heh, I am aware an entire KaKu dish assembly is needed; tubing, alt-az, lnb arm, reflector, bolts, lock washers, nuts, gray paint, DirecTV logo, mounting foot, and maybe a dash of grease on the adjusters, etc. are necessary for a DirecTV system to work.

I also noted tree swaying can lead to this not working.

#6 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:05 AM

It's not possible anyways, but I didn't mean looking through the canopy or through a hole, I mean looking through the tree trunks, underneath the canopy.

If anybody gets what I mean? You have a wooded area (woods) with trees in a row; one after the other, spaced 3-5 ft apart (adjacent to the house) This is at the edge of my driveway, and you have my whole yard next to this.

This is where the dish needs to point to; the trees are so tall that the leaves and branches are way up in the sky, (with no lower branches) and these trees have tall skinny trunks, thus still leaving some blue sky if the trees were spaced far enough apart

I know no one will understand it, I tried to paint the picture best I could, I'll have to take a picture and post it.

Andy

#7 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:13 AM

It's not possible anyways, but I didn't mean looking through the canopy or through a hole, I mean looking through the tree trunks, underneath the canopy.

If anybody gets what I mean? You have a wooded area (woods) with trees in a row; one after the other, spaced 3-5 ft apart (adjacent to the house) This is at the edge of my driveway, and you have my whole yard next to this.

This is where the dish needs to point to; the trees are so tall that the leaves and branches are way up in the sky, (with no lower branches) and these trees have tall skinny trunks, thus still leaving some blue sky if the trees were spaced far enough apart

I know no one will understand it, I tried to paint the picture best I could, I'll have to take a picture and post it.

Andy

Too many trees to take down and make an LOS "alley"?

Rich

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,414 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:45 AM

Andy

I sort of get your idea. No you can't "shoot" under/through the tree trunks.
I had a similar problem and needed to find the only place on my property that I could mount a pole and have a "clear line of sight" to the SATs.

The dishpointer website can be helpful and the smartphone app can be too.
I found a place where I could "shoot" under branches, but you can't shoot "through" anything.
My pole ended up about 100' from my house.
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,667 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:50 PM

If anybody gets what I mean? You have a wooded area (woods) with trees in a row; one after the other, spaced 3-5 ft apart (adjacent to the house)

So are we looking at a row of trees running left to right in front of you? Are they multiple layers deep? Can you put a pole in the ground in between two of the trees and have a clear shot past that? If so, how far would that be from your house?

#10 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,039 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:18 PM

Andy

Bottom line is you'll need line of sight in a very specific direction at a very specific angle and the dish cant really be more than 150' or so from the house. This is in very general terms mind you. The signal wont go through or around anything, not like radio or local tv via antenna. Carl6 spelled it out about as plain as can be.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,414 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:36 PM

the dish cant really be more than 150' or so from the house. This is in very general terms mind you.

I left your "general terms" because using RG11 and/or a Sonora SWiM amp will extend [double] the 150'.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:31 AM

Heh, heh, I am aware an entire KaKu dish assembly is needed; tubing, alt-az, lnb arm, reflector, bolts, lock washers, nuts, gray paint, DirecTV logo, mounting foot, and maybe a dash of grease on the adjusters, etc. are necessary for a DirecTV system to work.

I also noted tree swaying can lead to this not working.

Just pointing out LNB's have nothing to do with LOS or determining LOS!

You can look down that LNB arm all day and night towrd the sky and thats not where the satellites are.

Living Room       Master bedroom     Bedroom  2         Bedroom 3    Office/Bedroom 4      bedroom 5

#13 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:34 AM

I left your "general terms" because using RG11 and/or a Sonora SWiM amp will extend [double] the 150'.

Thats not a Standard install!

That will cost him extra!

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,414 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

Thats not a Standard install!

That will cost him extra!

I have the feeling the OP isn't going to get a "standard install"
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

:) Or any install.:eek2:

#16 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:08 AM

Good thinking. I would have been using a chain saw, much easier your way. All D* has to do is supply the coax and the TS has to buy the Sonora amp (I have one and it works perfectly) from Solid Signal and he should be good to go.

Rich

#17 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

Just pointing out LNB's have nothing to do with LOS or determining LOS!

You can look down that LNB arm all day and night towrd the sky and thats not where the satellites are.

Incorrect.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#18 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 825 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:46 PM

Incorrect.

Yes it is correct. The lnb arm points quite a bit below where the satellites are.

#19 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,101 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Yes it is correct. The lnb arm points quite a bit below where the satellites are.

#20 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:57 PM

You may want to look back at my post to see that I bolded a portion of his quote ;)
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

spam firewall