Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Directv & Trees?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:05 AM

The dishpointer app works nicely. It's $20 the last I knew.

This one works just as good and its free.
https://play.google....ZWRyZWFsaXR5Il0.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   F1aReD

F1aReD

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:19 AM

I got an App for my iPad. I pointed it up to the sky and it looks like the D* satellites are a lot higher up and to the right than where my current dish is pointed...what's up with that? The dish is still supposed to point towards the general area isn't it?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong...Assuming this App works OK, I can just search for the appropriate D* satellites, point it up towards the sky (at the new house), and if there's trees in the way then they will need to be removed or something else will need to be done?

#43 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,495 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

I got an App for my iPad. I pointed it up to the sky and it looks like the D* satellites are a lot higher up and to the right than where my current dish is pointed...what's up with that? The dish is still supposed to point towards the general area isn't it?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong...Assuming this App works OK, I can just search for the appropriate D* satellites, point it up towards the sky (at the new house), and if there's trees in the way then they will need to be removed or something else will need to be done?

The App I posted shows you the Directv Satellites.

If you are using the Slimline 3 then its Spaceway 1 and 2, Directv 10,11 and 12, Directv 8 ,4s,and 9s.

That's the 99,101,103 orbital locations.

Blue Ridge Communticatons

HD Basic Plus, HBO, Cinemax,Starz /Encore

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Livingroom Samsung 6030,55 inch

Tivo T6 (Roamio Plus) Master Bedroom,Samsung 5300 40 inch

Tivo Mini Bedroom 2

Tivo Mini Bedroom 3

Cisco HD ,Bedroom office 4

Basic Plus analog Bedroom 5 and 6

G15 Internet

#44 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,517 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 21 March 2013 - 02:25 PM

The satellite signals reflect off of your dish and onto the LNB's. So the dish isn't necessarily pointing at the satellites (think of a bank shot on a pool table).

#45 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,418 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:30 AM

In the case of the SL5 dishes, the dish aims at 101W but it picks up signals from all the way over at 119W.

Understand that the DIRECTV signals cannot penetrate much of anything. Anything of substance will effectively stop it.

The point is that when you use the app, you must see open sky where the satellites are. If you don't see open sky, you have to move around until you do. If there is nowhere you can go that gives you a clear view, you're absolutely out of luck unless you can make such a hole.

There was a time when you could get away with a smaller hole and multiple dishes, but that's no longer possible.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#46 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,436 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:36 AM

Have you given any thought to VOS's suggestion? Is it not possible? It really wouldn't cost that much to do. The amp only costs ~ $130 from Solid Signal.

As well as I know him and trust him, I'd have done it immediately.

Rich

#47 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,988 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:46 AM

Have you given any thought to VOS's suggestion? Is it not possible? It really wouldn't cost that much to do. The amp only costs ~ $130 from Solid Signal.

As well as I know him and trust him, I'd have done it immediately.

Rich

The primary issue is to determine if there is a location that has a clear LOS.
The various apps should help with this and posting a screen shot might help.
Once a location is found, then the next step might be to see what the costs would be to get the signals to the receivers.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...