Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How far can they take Moca?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:34 AM

Had a customer remark it would be nice if the 'list' feature on her MRV'd DirecTV system also brought up the menu on her Blu-Ray.

LOL, pretty good idea, wonder if they are working on it? Handy to watch the blu ray in the living room from the bedroom and have the DirecTV remote shoot the control signals thru the whole home system too.

:grin:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,344 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:04 AM

Seriously doubt DirecTV would develop anything like that.

#3 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,167 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:21 AM

Had a customer remark it would be nice if the 'list' feature on her MRV'd DirecTV system also brought up the menu on her Blu-Ray.

LOL, pretty good idea, wonder if they are working on it? Handy to watch the blu ray in the living room from the bedroom and have the DirecTV remote shoot the control signals thru the whole home system too.

Firstly I think the "they" would need to be more than just DIRECTV working to implement such a scheme, but the manufactures of the BR player or other devices as well.

And what needs extended is not really MoCA (except for the BR or other device to communicate on DIRECTV's MoCA E band of 475-625 MHz), but the higher level RVU protocol to allow the clients to communicate with multiple RVU servers on a network.

I don't know if that's even feasible.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Definitely wouldn't happen.

Are you seriously thinking DTV would cut own "a la BR" VOD offers in favor play real Blu-Ray disks in real BR PQ ?

Edited by P Smith, 16 March 2013 - 03:58 PM.

#5 OFFLINE   mattgwyther

mattgwyther

Godfather

• Registered
  • 454 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 02:23 PM

Hmmm if you google Directv and RVU you will find a lot of press releases about some blu ray players being RVU clients which would make them Genie clients. I think Sony made an announcement at CES.
I WANT MY PAC-12 Network & PAC-12 Mountain Network!!

#6 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,167 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:31 PM

Hmmm if you google Directv and RVU you will find a lot of press releases about some blu ray players being RVU clients which would make them Genie clients. I think Sony made an announcement at CES.

Yes they did, as "clients." But what the TS is referring to here needs to be the other way around where the Blu Ray player would have to be an RVU server like the Genie.

And I don't recall anyone mentioning that the RVU protocol is compatible with operating multiple servers on the same network. Only multiple clients accessing one server.

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,484 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 16 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

But that is the opposite of what it needed here. Adding the capability of using the Sony Blu-ray player as a server would reduce the number of Blu-ray players that Sony would sell. Rather than selling a Blu-ray player for both the living room and bedroom, the customer would only need to buy one for the living room and still be able to watch Blu-ray's in the bedroom.

Sony doesn't make money by selling fewer Blu-ray players. MRV works for DirecTV because they are selling a monthly service. They're not making money on the physical DVR's (aside from the $6 per month, which is the same that they are charging for RVU clients.

#8 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,859 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:50 AM

What somebody needs to build is something like an "RVU Slingbox." This would allow legacy devices to be adapted to deliver content across a network. Like a Slingbox, it would have to use IR remote blasters, but would not need to do the realtime re-encoding that a Slingbox does. All it would do is pack the digital A/V inside RVU packets. Then a Roku, a BluRay player or a DirecTV Hx2x unit could all be delivered to any RVU client device.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#9 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 09:27 PM

We know other devices will be able to be clients, just look at samsung tv's. The question of if dtv receivers will ever be able to be clients for other rvu devices, I just kind of doubt it.

#10 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

I think a better why to control multiple devices is with some sort of consolidated app to control all devices connect to your network. I can control my TV, DirecTV DVR, and WD TV Plus via my Android smartphone. These are all separate apps, but there's no reason why a consolidated/customizable app developed for individual needs.

May Harmony could do this?
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#11 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:53 AM

Good idea in theory, but in reality I tend to find that when you try to make some thing the jack of all trades, it becomes the master of none.....meaning it wont even do what its supposed to do well anymore.

#12 OFFLINE   fornold

fornold

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

I think a better why to control multiple devices is with some sort of consolidated app to control all devices connect to your network. I can control my TV, DirecTV DVR, and WD TV Plus via my Android smartphone. These are all separate apps, but there's no reason why a consolidated/customizable app developed for individual needs.

May Harmony could do this?

iRule can do that with a little help for some devices that don't have IP control. Using this in my media room with an old iPad for the remote to control Blu-Ray, Projector, AVR, DirecTV and lights.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...