Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cannot Program Directv Remote with Samsung TV

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rrbhokies

rrbhokies

Legend

• Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:50 AM

I have an HR34 and the remote control broke. So I purchased a new one and I'm having trouble programming it. I have a Samsung 55" LED Smart TV (2012 Model).

When I got the new remote, it controls the Directv box just fine. I went into the Remote settings and did the 981 code to reset the remote. Then, I went to program my TV.

As soon as I selected TV, a message came up saying it was going to program my SAMSUNG TV and to keep the remote pointed at the TV and continue.

Then, it immediately came back with a message that says "Sorry, there are no additional codes available for your Samsung TV. Please call Directv at xxxxxx".

It didn't even try to program it. The message came back instantaneously as soon as I selected to begin programming it. There is no way to manually enter any codes.

So, I'm at a loss and the wife is pissed. She wants to be able to use the Directv remote to control the volume and input. I could try calling directv, but my experience is that I've had better luck on this board than using tech support.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
HR34 Genie, Two HR24-500's, HR21-100 :
Samsung 55" LED 6150, Samsung 46" LED 6050, Sony 52" Bravia LCD , Sony 40" Bravia LCD, Sony HCD-X1 2.1 Home Theatre, Samsung Blu-Ray DVD Player, Apple TV 3rd generation, Xbox 360, Wii , XM Radio

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

I have an HR34 and the remote control broke. So I purchased a new one and I'm having trouble programming it. I have a Samsung 55" LED Smart TV (2012 Model).

When I got the new remote, it controls the Directv box just fine. I went into the Remote settings and did the 981 code to reset the remote. Then, I went to program my TV.

As soon as I selected TV, a message came up saying it was going to program my SAMSUNG TV and to keep the remote pointed at the TV and continue.

Then, it immediately came back with a message that says "Sorry, there are no additional codes available for your Samsung TV. Please call Directv at xxxxxx".

It didn't even try to program it. The message came back instantaneously as soon as I selected to begin programming it. There is no way to manually enter any codes.

So, I'm at a loss and the wife is pissed. She wants to be able to use the Directv remote to control the volume and input. I could try calling directv, but my experience is that I've had better luck on this board than using tech support.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Why not just call DTV like it suggested...

#3 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,783 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:02 AM

Why not just call DTV like it suggested...

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#4 OFFLINE   rrbhokies

rrbhokies

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 203 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:07 AM

Nevermind then. Thought this board would be helpful. Users on this board are smarter than Directv support. That's what these boards are supposed to be for right? Guess not based on two genius member's responses.
HR34 Genie, Two HR24-500's, HR21-100 :
Samsung 55" LED 6150, Samsung 46" LED 6050, Sony 52" Bravia LCD , Sony 40" Bravia LCD, Sony HCD-X1 2.1 Home Theatre, Samsung Blu-Ray DVD Player, Apple TV 3rd generation, Xbox 360, Wii , XM Radio

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,714 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

It appears that you bought an RC65X model that is trying to automatically program the TV.
You definitely can still enter codes manually and try them.
Go here :http://forums.direct...rtalPageId=1002
Click on the word "here",
choose the Remote model,
Type in the brand of TV and then get codes you can try. Follow the instructions.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

I've noticed the auto remote programming feature is a little wonky sometimes. I try angling the remote and try it at different distances. When it works its great, when it doesn't, it would be nice to have a menu choice to program the remote the old fashioned way.
As for the OP, try hold down mute/select (in TV mode) then press 1-0-7-0-2.

Ever wonder if the receiver is actually outputting the signals to program your remote?

Pull out your cell phone, turn on the camera, and look at the front of the receiver. You should be able to see the receiver transmitting the signal. You can look at the remote too, press any key, and see of the remote is broadcasting a signal too.

Cell phone cameras have enough response in the IR band to see these signals, even if our eyes cannot.

#7 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,783 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:13 AM

There's a reason why those messages say "Call DirecTV". Suit yourself. In the mean time the other genius and I have working remotes and aren't putting up with a pissy wife. ;)

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#8 OFFLINE   rta53

rta53

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:40 AM

Nevermind then. Thought this board would be helpful. Users on this board are smarter than Directv support. That's what these boards are supposed to be for right? Guess not based on two genius member's responses.

Are you still upset that we beat you in the ACC tournament?:)

As for the lack of help you got. My suggestion to call DVT actually was intended to be helpful.Was trying to get you to the quickest solution. How much time did you actually spend trying to figure out a solution for yourself? Since I didn't know the answer off the top of my head, and I didn't have time to research it, I thought my suggestion would be the quickest solution to your problem. There are many people on this forum who are geniuses, but I am not one of them. :nono:

#9 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

try codes 10812 or 10702:

1. tv
2. press and hold MUTE & SELECT, wait for two blinks, release
3. enter 1 0 8 1 2 or 1 0 7 0 2
  • mgriego likes this
aka Tivoburkee

#10 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:34 AM

I just don't understand why people don't call DirecTV with such problems as a first step.

I'm no longer with them, but CSR's have almost always been helpful in the four years that I had the service. And the hold time to reach a representative has dropped considerably.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#11 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,820 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

I've used the cell phone camera trick but I've found the rear camera on the iPhone5 filters IR too much. The front camera is discernable on the remote. I haven't tried it on the 34.

Also write down your working codes!! Six months or six years later (seriously) keying in 30 or 40 codes to find the right one is crazy!

But Edmund or gov probably nailed it for you!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...