Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What is involved in upgrading from SWM 8 to SWM 16

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:58 AM

Thinking of replacing 2 HD boxes with a Genie and client. That will leave me with 2 HD DVRs and a Genie on my current SWM 8. Is it just a matter of swapping out the 4 port SWM 8 with a SWM 16 SWM. No new cables needed since receiver count and location staying the same? Will DirecTv allow this as a self install?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:11 AM

No new cabling is required.

The same four cables from the dish connect to the corresponding four inputs on the SWM16.

You will have two SWM outputs, each of which will support up to 8 tuners. You can keep your existing splitter and cabling on SWM1 and connect the Genie to SWM2.

It is very much a drop-in replacement.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#3 OFFLINE   damondlt

damondlt

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,819 posts
  • LocationWanye County PA

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:19 AM

When I asked if Directv would just send me a C31 they said no. They claimed a Tech has to come out, So I would Imagine same for the HR34/44.

DIRECTV Since 5/13/2012:

Living room      Master Bedroom        Bedroom 2            Bedroom 3       Office/Bedroom 4      

HR34-700  /  C31-700  /  HR24-500 / HR23-700  /  H25-100 

Slimline 5 / SWiM 16 / Premier / HD Xtra / MLB EI  / MRV

Blue Ridge Cable Networked 30-3 Mbps 

#4 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:35 AM

I only have 1 cable from the dish to SWM, then a cable running to each receiver.

#5 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:37 AM

I only have 1 cable from the dish to SWM, then a cable running to each receiver.

Then you'll need the 4 output LNB.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#6 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 10:40 AM

Then what you are calling a SWM is actually a splitter, not a SWM8. The SWM8 is integrated into the LNB on your dish.

Now you're into a more complex installation.

New LNB on the dish.
3 additional cables from the LNB to the new SWM16 unit.

From there you need a cable from your existing splitter to the SWM1 output on the SWM16 and again, the Genie can be connected to the other SWM output.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#7 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:35 AM

The dish is 50 ft from the house. I buried the cable a few years ago after the installer left so that the install would be free. Seems like too much work to run more cable up to the house and bury it. I may just give up one of the HR24s.

#8 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:41 AM

What is running from the dish to the house (buried) is two cables glued together. Can you work a SWM 16 with 2 cables from the LNB to the splitter?

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:48 AM

What is running from the dish to the house (buried) is two cables glued together. Can you work a SWM 16 with 2 cables from the LNB to the splitter?

No.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:58 AM

You could put the SWM 16 out at the dish then use the two cables as the output from the SWM 16 to receivers. That would work. However, typically would advise against the SWM16 being outside but in this case may be unavoidable.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#11 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:02 PM

You could put the SWM 16 out at the dish then use the two cables as the output from the SWM 16 to receivers. That would work. However, typically would advise against the SWM16 being outside but in this case may be unavoidable.

I thought the SWM16 was in the LNB?

#12 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,833 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

I thought the SWM16 was in the LNB?

No, this is a SWM16 setup...

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,026 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:07 PM

No, the only integrated unit is the SWM8. Putting the SWM16 at the pole is a viable option but I would protect it from hte weather

My Setup

#14 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

Sounds like more if a headache than it is worth. I will just return one of the 2 HR24s so that my tuner count does not exceed 8.

#15 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:28 PM

No, the only integrated unit is the SWM8. Putting the SWM16 at the pole is a viable option but I would protect it from hte weather

A SWM8 is a separate switch. A SWM lnb will support 8 tuners with a SWS8 splitter.

#16 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,640 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

A SWM lnb will support 8 tuners with a SWS8 splitter.

It isn't the size of the splitter as a 4-way supports 8 tuners too if they're DVRs.
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

I just went through the same upgrade. You either have to do a self install, or have a DirecTV tech do it. The only way I was able to get the DirecTV tech out here is have the receiver already on my account. They won't do it unless they bring you a receiver that will tip you over 8 channels or you already have one.

It's can be a bit of a cluster. I ended up just communicating with the tech directly because every time I called DirecTV they would give me the runaround.

The tech replaced my LNB and put the swim 16 on the side of my house with the two splitters as shown in the diagram above. The power inserter also needs to be replaced with the 29 V version.

#18 OFFLINE   StephenJC

StephenJC

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 01:43 PM

I just went through the same upgrade. You either have to do a self install, or have a DirecTV tech do it. The only way I was able to get the DirecTV tech out here is have the receiver already on my account. They won't do it unless they bring you a receiver that will tip you over 8 channels or you already have one.

It's can be a bit of a cluster. I ended up just communicating with the tech directly because every time I called DirecTV they would give me the runaround.

The tech replaced my LNB and put the swim 16 on the side of my house with the two splitters as shown in the diagram of above. The power inserter also needs to be replaced with a 29 V version.

Was it expensive? Did you need to cash out your 401K to get it done? Is it included as part of the usual $50 install?

#19 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Was it expensive? Did you need to cash out your 401K to get it done? Is it included as part of the usual $50 install?

I cancelled the $50 install. The tech charged me the cost of the SWiM 16 (same price you would find on say solidsignal.com). Don't know how he recouped his labor costs. Don't want to know.

#20 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

It isn't the size of the splitter as a 4-way supports 8 tuners too if they're DVRs.

Yes, I understand. My point was that there isn't a swm8 built into a swm lnb per se, it's a separate switch.

spam firewall