Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What is involved in upgrading from SWM 8 to SWM 16

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:45 PM

A SWM8 is a separate switch. A SWM lnb will support 8 tuners with a SWS8 splitter.

I have had a bad time with wording things badly lately... I am very aware of the difference as I have a SWM8 on the wall in my basement. I just meant the SWM LNB is functionally a 8 tuner switch

My Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   JBv

JBv

Godfather

• Registered
  • 798 posts
  • LocationTulsa, OK

Posted 17 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Was it expensive? Did you need to cash out your 401K to get it done? Is it included as part of the usual $50 install?

If a SWM-16 is required it's included in the $50 install price.
DirecTV Employee
The postings on this site are my own and do not represent DirecTV's positions, strategies, or opinions.

#23 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:18 PM

If a SWM-16 is required it's included in the $50 install price.

True but only if a receiver comes along with it.

#24 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 09:36 PM

I have had a bad time with wording things badly lately... I am very aware of the difference as I have a SWM8 on the wall in my basement. I just meant the SWM LNB is functionally a 8 tuner switch

Yes. I just wanted to be sure the other poster wasn't confused by your post.

#25 OFFLINE   Old_School

Old_School

Legend

• Registered
  • 370 posts
  • LocationDover, PA

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:51 PM

Was it expensive? Did you need to cash out your 401K to get it done? Is it included as part of the usual $50 install?

You could get a SWM 16 off ebay for $50-$60 bucks and have a nice Jackson waiting there to help convince him to install it... :lol:

DirecTV Subscriber Since 1998
Xtra ~ NFLST

(1) HR44  

(1) C41W

SL3 LNB ~ Whole Home DVR

#26 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:09 PM

True but only if a receiver comes along with it.

Yes. But the OP is looking to get a new receiver (Genie) which will put him up to 9 tuners.

The big question is whether the installer is willing to install the SWM-16 at the dish, so the OP can continue to utilize his underground dual coax from the dish to the house or will the installer insist on mounting the SWM-16 at or in the house, which will require 2 additional coax cables, which the OP would need to bury himself (which he has stated that he doesn't want to do).

#27 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:28 PM

Yes. But the OP is looking to get a new receiver (Genie) which will put him up to 9 tuners.

The big question is whether the installer is willing to install the SWM-16 at the dish, so the OP can continue to utilize his underground dual coax from the dish to the house or will the installer insist on mounting the SWM-16 at or in the house, which will require 2 additional coax cables, which the OP would need to bury himself (which he has stated that he doesn't want to do).

The installer gave me a choice to have the SWM-16 at the dish or on the house. I think all the OP has to do is ask.

spam firewall