Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best way to reduce bill?

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:44 PM

If they gave him $37 off his bill, what more leverage is needed? Many new customers are only receiving $35 in discounts...

As noted earlier, the $37 in credits will not last forever.

If the credits were to expire before his contract, and if he were to call when the credits expire and while still under contract, he would have less leverage to ask for (and get) new credits then he would if he was not under contract and free to walk without paying an ETF.

Under contract = less leverage in asking for freebies

Not under contract = more leverage in asking for freebies

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 296 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:33 AM

They were very nice and gave me $15/month off for 12 months. That brings my bill just under $100, I can live with that for now. Still not the 85 I wanted, I didn't ask for more, didn't want to be greedy but it's close enough...

Dont feel guilty ! Ther the ones that are greedy ! http://investor.dire...eleaseID=551879 :eek2: :mad:

King Cable Cutter ! XBMC , PLEX , Raspberry Pi   Love my New Boxes :)

Avatars are to protect the Ugly people from scaring others !
Come from the land of Pennsylvania where Cable TV was invented ! Had HBO back in the 70's and total cable bill was $ 12.00 and all TV's got Cable with no extra fee ! Been using satellite since the C-Band Days and Dave and Charlie

#43 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 21 March 2013 - 05:11 AM

Are results from 2010 really relevant?

#44 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

Context: DirecTV customer since 1995. Never subscribed to premiums. Do very much enjoy ("need" is such a strong word for TV) live sports including baseball (Twins), Big 10 (Purdue), and pro football (Bears). Living in Vikings country (NFC North) I receive many (not all) Bears games without NFL-ST. The desire for live sports plus lack of OTA coverage means at least one D* or Dish receiver of some sort (no cable to my rural area). I'm not particularly motivated to switch to Dish.

I've used a number of tactics to reduce my DirecTV bill:

• Reduced my number of DVRs from 5 to 3
  • Reduced my programming package from Choice Extra to Choice
  • Called as appropriate (typically when out of contract) to ask about how D* can help (typically via credits)

My next steps are to:

• Split the HDMI output from the primary to the secondary TV. The distance is a pain, but worth the one time cost.
  • Purchase PlayLater (www.playlater.tv) to supplement PlayOn that I already have for use with the Rokus.
  • Replace 2 of the DVRs with Roku boxes
  • Cancel 2 of the remaining 3 DVRs
  • Fix my OTA rotor.

This will reduce my monthly bill to Choice with 1 DVR and I will still readily have access to all of the content that I desire where I desire it.

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#45 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:42 AM

Context: DirecTV customer since 1995. Never subscribed to premiums. Do very much enjoy ("need" is such a strong word for TV) live sports including baseball (Twins), Big 10 (Purdue), and pro football (Bears). Living in Vikings country (NFC North) I receive many (not all) Bears games without NFL-ST. The desire for live sports plus lack of OTA coverage means at least one D* or Dish receiver of some sort (no cable to my rural area). I'm not particularly motivated to switch to Dish.

I've used a number of tactics to reduce my DirecTV bill:

• Reduced my number of DVRs from 5 to 3
  • Reduced my programming package from Choice Extra to Choice
  • Called as appropriate (typically when out of contract) to ask about how D* can help (typically via credits)

My next steps are to:

• Split the HDMI output from the primary to the secondary TV. The distance is a pain, but worth the one time cost.
  • Purchase PlayLater (www.playlater.tv) to supplement PlayOn that I already have for use with the Rokus.
  • Replace 2 of the DVRs with Roku boxes
  • Cancel 2 of the remaining 3 DVRs
  • Fix my OTA rotor.

This will reduce my monthly bill to Choice with 1 DVR and I will still readily have access to all of the content that I desire where I desire it.

If you split the HDMI how do you change the channel while in the other room?

#46 OFFLINE   bsather

bsather

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:37 AM

If you split the HDMI how do you change the channel while in the other room?

http://www.solidsign...ku=741835095891

#47 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

http://www.x10.com/p...nment/pex01.htm, but the Vanco IR-over-HDMI posted above by bsather would be better in that you don't have to plug it into the wall. I've have my X-10 PowerMIDs for a long time (pre-HDMI).

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#48 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:22 PM

As noted earlier, the $37 in credits will not last forever.

If the credits were to expire before his contract, and if he were to call when the credits expire and while still under contract, he would have less leverage to ask for (and get) new credits then he would if he was not under contract and free to walk without paying an ETF.

I think you're missing the point. Why does he need any leverage if he can get $37 off his bill without leverage? The contract means less to them than you think when it comes to discounts. No discounts last forever. Even the Free HD for Life technically lasts for 1000 credits.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#49 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

Not always the case, it all depends on how much freebies and upgrades you received in the past.
But regularly they give credits when not under contract.

Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Wireless Mini Client C41W-100
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#50 OFFLINE   anopro

anopro

Legend

• Registered
  • 129 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

http://www.solidsign...ku=741835095891

Ooh me likey I have been using a old Sony DSS multi Room distribution system with IR repeater system from 1998 for my upstairs TV SD but so want HD in the bedroom.
HR20-700
HR21-700

#51 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:18 PM

I think you're missing the point. Why does he need any leverage if he can get $37 off his bill without leverage? The contract means less to them than you think when it comes to discounts. No discounts last forever. Even the Free HD for Life technically lasts for 1000 credits.

No, it's you who are missing the point. The credits will expire, and DirecTV will not renew them as a matter of course. The more credits you have had and the longer you have had them, the less inclined DirecTV will be to renew them. That has been my personal experience, and anecdotal experience from others on the forum bears that out.

#52 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:20 PM

Not always the case, it all depends on how much freebies and upgrades you received in the past.
But regularly they give credits when not under contract.

Fine; add this to the part of my post that you quoted: "generally speaking."

#53 OFFLINE   Jillxz

Jillxz

• Registered
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 07:09 PM

When the Directv rates went up this year , I dropped. I just had the HD receiver and not a DVR as I don't care to record anything. I have to pay a $ 10 fee for the HD receiver. $87.98 is just too much to pay for watching TV. Only a three dollar raise , but that did it for me. They offered me a $25.00 discount for a year and the $10 dollar HD for 2 years. But I said no thank you.

As I t stands right now , I have zero TV. Not Dish Network and not cable. They are all alike. Impossible fees and I am finished for now. Not worth it for me .

#54 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:30 PM

When the Directv rates went up this year , I dropped. I just had the HD receiver and not a DVR as I don't care to record anything. I have to pay a $ 10 fee for the HD receiver. $87.98 is just too much to pay for watching TV. Only a three dollar raise , but that did it for me. They offered me a $25.00 discount for a year and the $10 dollar HD for 2 years. But I said no thank you.

As I t stands right now , I have zero TV. Not Dish Network and not cable. They are all alike. Impossible fees and I am finished for now. Not worth it for me .

If the increases keep going up I may eventually cut the cord(for a awhile) Then return with new customer discounts. It will be a point when enough is enough if the trend keeps going.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#55 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,408 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:33 PM

But as the credits keep rolling I will be here for awhile as that is keeping me from canceling and possibly switching providers.

Directv HD DVR HR24-500

#56 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 02:33 AM

But as the credits keep rolling I will be here for awhile as that is keeping me from canceling and possibly switching providers.

If a person keeps calling in every time their credits roll off for more credits, eventually DirecTV is going to place a flag on your account to not issue any more credits. I have seen that flag plenty of times on different accounts. So I wouldn't keep doing to that.... Their may be a cheaper package out there that has the channels you still want to watch at a cheaper rate. I've seen a lot of times customers do not want to change their package as they are afraid of losing channels they like, only to see they only lose like 2 or so and the change is worth it. Also if you bundle internet you can get a 10.00 discount for 1 yr, and if you do phone and internet it is 15.00 off (but you can not currently have the Telco provider unless upgrading from dsl). Also if you refer a customer you get 10.00 off for everybody you refer.

Edited by Volatility, 24 March 2013 - 02:49 AM.

#57 OFFLINE   downrange

downrange

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 12:43 PM

I have been a D* subscriber for at least 8 years. My current bill just jumped from $82 to $88/month. I only have one TV, one DVR and I subscribe to no movie channels or sports packages. $88/month.... That's too much.

... continue to see rate increase after rate increase they reach a point where enough is enough. I'm there.

same here, continuous customer for 13 yrs, sdtv, 1 dvr, grandfathered pkg and $1100/yr for what I need from a stupid tv just flat out exceeds what I'm going to pay. I watch local football, hockey, f1, motogp and a smattering of other things although the latter are mostly only because they're there. the former and a dvr are really the only critical things to me.

so continuing to pay unacceptable prices due to abcf/espn and whoever these last idiots were that think they're sitting on the motherlode leaves me no choice since dtv caves every single time, acts all gallant like they fought off increases only to turn around and pass on the increases a few months later figuring customers are too stupid to put two and two together or notice the pattern. I have no idea what's even on abcf or espn for that matter yet because of them and others my bill has gone through the roof the past few years.

there's no pkg/setup I can drop to and still see the only things I care about so after threatening to myself to do so for the past couple years, I'm sinking that yearly dtv bill into a mythtv dvr and going ota/streaming. or maybe I'll do something else, don't know where it will end up except that I'm certain I'm not going to essentially throw $90 out the window every month, then $95/month before too much longer, etc.

this isn't w/o sadness, I developed an affinity toward dtv for freeing me from my local ripoff cable company all those years ago which I hated with a passion. plus I've had exactly 0 complaints about the service through the years. but everyone has a limit for what they're willing to put up with. I've suspended my acct a couple times the past couple years because of the high rates and these past increases after a year's worth of huge credits expired not long ago just makes them all the more intolerable.

#58 OFFLINE   omartinjordan

omartinjordan

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:39 PM

I'm with you guys. Sports are the only reason I still have directv. I am out of contract and have been thinking about switching to dish just to get the promotions for 12 months. Even if after the 12 months the price goes up I still would probably come out ahead after 2 years. Then I could switch back to directv. They really need to look at trying to give existing customers some sort of a break. It's crazy. My bill is over $100 and I don't have that much as some of the others. HD, dvr, and 2 extra boxes. My package is the old Total Choice. All of that plus the protection plan puts me over $100. Only thing I can think of is to lower my package until college football season starts then up it for a couple months.

#59 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

Just keep in mind, if you did that, you would be unable to go back to TC.

#60 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 02:56 PM

Just keep in mind, if you did that, you would be unable to go back to TC.

He would have 30 days to reinstate Total Choice. He may want to call and ask about any discounts they have if he was to update his package. He may be surprised.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

spam firewall