Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best way to reduce bill?

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,341 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:13 AM

"If we haven’t received your leased equipment within 21 days of termination of your base level of programming, or if the equipment is returned in damaged condition, we will charge you $45 for each standard Receiver, $135 for each DVR, $100 for each HD Receiver, $200 for each HD DVR, $250 for each Advanced Whole-Home DVR (aka “Genie HD DVR”) and $100 for each Client, so please promptly attend to your equipment return."
source

I know that both D* and E* have something similar in this regard, but the reality is that the customer has no control over when they actually receive the shipped gear. In both cases, D* or E* has chosen a specific shipping agent to handle returns, the customer's obligation should end at the time of drop off at the provider's chosen shipping agent.

With D* using the worst possible way to have their gear returned, which has little to no tracking capability, it is even worse than E*'s.

As to the charge for a truck roll. Volatility's claim that $99 (it actually is $95) is too high for this, I would say that is his opinion and not a fact at all. Having run a service organization for many years, rolling a truck with a tech would cost my company more than that even back when I was working and that's 7 years ago.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 08:26 AM

we do not charge 10.00 operator fee for anything. Period. It says up to 10.00. 10.00 is the max fee set by the govt we can charge but we do not charge that. only 5 buckaroos. Sorry to burs your buble but its true

Oh boy. The $10.00 fee for paying a bill through a phone agent is the maximum amount set by DirecTV, not "the government." Individual states ("the government") may or may not have laws that specify how much a business can charge for a service like this. If the law states that the maximum amount that can be charged for this service is less than $10.00, than DirecTV will charge that lesser amount for customers in that particular state. If there is no state law that applies or the law sets a maximum amount that is greater than $10.00, than DirecTV says that it will charge $10.00 for this service.

It's all right there in black and white in the customer agreement link in your signature.

#123 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,490 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 28 March 2013 - 09:31 AM

Can anyone report that they have been charged $10 for paying their bill through a CSR? If not, are we just going to argue over the amount that DirecTV has stated that they may charge up to?

If we can't find someone who has actually been charged this amount, then who cares this?

#124 OFFLINE   donalddickerson2005

donalddickerson2005

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 05:13 PM

Can anyone report that they have been charged $10 for paying their bill through a CSR? If not, are we just going to argue over the amount that DirecTV has stated that they may charge up to?

If we can't find someone who has actually been charged this amount, then who cares this?

The CSR trays to charge me however they always get an override for the amount. So I do get charged but get a credit of it back.
Hr34-700 living room
C31-700 bedroom
H23-600 family room

#125 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 10:25 PM

Exactly. We were told 10 up to is the price ceiling set by the govt. You can read more about price ceilings here: http://en.m.wikipedi...i/Price_ceiling. But then again who cares??

Edited by Volatility, 28 March 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#126 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:12 AM

Exactly. We were told 10 up to is the price ceiling set by the govt.

I guess that during your DirecTV CSR training when you "spend hours on end even months in training" (see your post # 67 in this thread), they don't teach you how to read and interpret a contract. Because that's clearly not what the DirecTV customer agreement says.

You can read more about price ceilings here: http://en.m.wikipedi...i/Price_ceiling.

More Econ 101. Save it for your term paper.

But then again who cares??

To the extent that misinformation is being put out, I care. You've backpedaled on most of the other bad gouge you've put out; time to come clean on this one, too.

I see that you're no longer providing a link to the DirecTV customer agreement in your signature. Should we read anything into this?

#127 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,186 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:16 AM

To the extent that misinformation is being put out, I care.

We are now a club of two.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#128 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

I guess that during your DirecTV CSR training when you "spend hours on end even months in training" (see your post # 67 in this thread), they don't teach you how to read and interpret a contract. Because that's clearly not what the DirecTV customer agreement says.

Now you are chiming in with opionated comments. You don't know how his training went or how long he had it. D* charges a "Phone transaction fee" for taking payments or PPV orders over the phone. The contract may say up to $10 but I've never seen or even heard of anyone being charged this. You're pulling the legal portion out of the contract and you're being responded to by Volatility with fact of what and how the charges actually work.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#129 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:18 PM

Now you are chiming in with opionated comments. You don't know how his training went or how long he had it. D* charges a "Phone transaction fee" for taking payments or PPV orders over the phone. The contract may say up to $10 but I've never seen or even heard of anyone being charged this. You're pulling the legal portion out of the contract and you're being responded to by Volatility with fact of what and how the charges actually work.

There's nothing wrong with opinions. As I said in an earlier post, everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and I have no problem with anyone expressing an opinion- as long as they don't try to pass it off as fact, and are willing to listen to a differing opinion. And I don't know any more about the training that Volatility has received other than what he has told us and I quoted above. I'm "guessing" (not passing off as fact) that he wasn't taught how to read and interpret a contract in that training for several reasons: it doesn't seem like something that would be covered in a DirecTV CSR training session, and he's not exhibiting proficiency in that skill in this thread.

Volatility is saying (and you are apparently confirming) that the $10 fee for using a phone agent to pay a bill that is listed in the DirecTV customer agreement is a maximum amount set by "the government" for this service. If this is indeed factual, than it shouldn't be too hard to find and cite a reference in support.

#130 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

I guess that

I feel this part of your comment shouldn't allow you to make an assumption, especially as aggressive as it was, after we have been trying to get back to just the facts.

Regardless, as I stated above, you can pull the information from the contract then rely on employees to narrow down how it actually works/applies. The contract specifies "up to $10" but you now have two employees that are letting you know it is only $5. We only want you to be more informed. It could say "up to $100" but the only thing that matters is what actually applies.
My posts, whether fact or opinion, are my own and in no way represent DirecTV or any affiliated enterprise or corporation.

#131 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:03 PM

I feel this part of your comment shouldn't allow you to make an assumption, especially as aggressive as it was, after we have been trying to get back to just the facts.

Regardless, as I stated above, you can pull the information from the contract then rely on employees to narrow down how it actually works/applies. The contract specifies "up to $10" but you now have two employees that are letting you know it is only $5. We only want you to be more informed. It could say "up to $100" but the only thing that matters is what actually applies.

As I've said, I have no experience paying my DirecTV bill through a phone agent. What I've seen in writing, though, in the DirecTV customer agreement, says that DirecTV will charge a $10 fee for this service, unless an applicable law mandates a lesser charge. Is there anything in writing, from DirecTV, that says DirecTV only charges a $5 fee for this service?

#132 OFFLINE   Volatility

Volatility

Legend

• Registered
  • 436 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Okay, this thread is titled Best Way To Reduce Bill NOT Agent Operator Fees. The topic has been derailed and has well made its point on the initial topic. I have helped moderated a Vbulletin Website Forum before with a little over 60K members (waaaaaaaay more than dbstalk), and I would have closed this thread at this point. Geesh, where the heck are the mods? On vacation?!

#133 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:37 PM

As I've said, I have no experience paying my DirecTV bill through a phone agent. What I've seen in writing, though, in the DirecTV customer agreement, says that DirecTV will charge a $10 fee for this service, unless an applicable law mandates a lesser charge. Is there anything in writing, from DirecTV, that says DirecTV only charges a $5 fee for this service?

It specifies "Up to $10" for paying an "outstanding balance". This would include the $5 PTF (phone transaction fee) and up to $5 for the late fee. It does not specify they will, it only says they may, which is merely reserving the right to do so. The PTF is only $5 for ordering a PPV or making a payment through a CSR.

#134 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:40 PM

Okay, this thread is titled Best Way To Reduce Bill NOT Agent Operator Fees. The topic has been derailed and has well made its point on the initial topic. I have helped moderated a Vbulletin Website Forum before with a little over 60K members (waaaaaaaay more than dbstalk), and I would have closed this thread at this point. Geesh, where the heck are the mods? On vacation?!

Agreed. The point has been made. Let's get back to reducing bills. :)

#135 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 06:50 PM

It does not specify they will, it only says they may, which is merely reserving the right to do so. The PTF is only $5 for ordering a PPV or making a payment through a CSR.

From the DirecTV customer agreement:

© Administrative Fees. To control the basic charges which apply to all customers, we may charge fees that arise in specific circumstances only to those customers responsible for them. The list below is not exclusive, and DIRECTV reserves the right to modify these fees or charge additional fees. In each case, we will charge you the lesser of the fee listed or the maximum amount permitted under applicable law:

(6) Up to $10.00 Phone Payment Fee, if you elect to pay any outstanding balance over the telephone with an agent. To avoid this fee, you can pay your bill through our Automated Phone System by saying “Pay my bill,” or at directv.com.

#136 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:23 PM

From the DirecTV customer agreement:

© Administrative Fees. To control the basic charges which apply to all customers, we may charge fees that arise in specific circumstances only to those customers responsible for them. The list below is not exclusive, and DIRECTV reserves the right to modify these fees or charge additional fees. In each case, we will charge you the lesser of the fee listed or the maximum amount permitted under applicable law:

(6) Up to $10.00 Phone Payment Fee, if you elect to pay any outstanding balance over the telephone with an agent. To avoid this fee, you can pay your bill through our Automated Phone System by saying “Pay my bill,” or at directv.com.

Thank you for confirming my side of the discussion with that first bolded portion. The second bolded portion refers to what happens if the first bolded portion holds true.

You can read this for hours if you want, but the PTF from D* is $5. Even if you have a law degree, I'm letting you know that D* does not charge $10 for making a payment with a CSR.

Let's move on folks.

#137 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,093 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:25 PM

Let's move on folks.

Good advice!

:backtotop

#138 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 07:56 PM

Thank you for confirming my side of the discussion with that first bolded portion. The second bolded portion refers to what happens if the first bolded portion holds true.

Sounds like what you're saying is if they choose to charge a fee, it will be for the amount listed, unless a lesser mount applies by law.

#139 OFFLINE   goinsleeper

goinsleeper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 673 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:19 PM

Sounds like what you're saying is if they choose to charge a fee, it will be for the amount listed, unless a lesser mount applies by law.

I'll be more than happy to continue talking about how you interpret the contract through PM, but as far as this thread is concerned, let's get back on topic.

#140 OFFLINE   dcandmc

dcandmc

Legend

• Registered
  • 279 posts

Posted 29 March 2013 - 08:33 PM

I'll be more than happy to continue talking about how you interpret the contract through PM, but as far as this thread is concerned, let's get back on topic.

The second bolded portion refers to what happens if the first bolded portion holds true.

I think we're on the same page.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...