Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Best way to reduce bill?

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   saleen351

saleen351

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 478 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 09:41 AM

Paid my bill yesterday, it was $96, as long as it stays under $100 I'll stay with D, if it goes back up then I will have to really look into an alternative for the NFL... With Aereo coming to Miami this year, rumored Apple TV, Netflix slowing turning into an on demand HBO, Hulu, Intel, etc, D is going to be under huge pressure to lower it's costs...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:26 AM

Last night I was helping a friend who wanted to get off of the Comcast Triple Play. Her bill had gone up to over $150.00 a month. She called Comcast and they knocked $20.00 a month off her bill if she would give them a two year commitment, but after taxes it was still $142.00. I did some research and was recommending a $75.00 a month DirecTV Genie/internet package from Centurylink for a year. To my surprise she said lets just try what we can get OTA or for free through the cable without a converter box. After trying some different hookups she was very happy with the results. She realized she was losing all DVR and guide functions but was still very happy with the number of channels she could get for free in HD!. She is ditching her home phone but will keep internet ($39.00 a month through Centurylink). I also dropped off a Apple TV for her to try. I think she felt relief getting away from Comcast, which she had had for over 20 years, and realizing the savings she will have every month. I think a lot of people are ready to do the same with all the cable/satellite providers.

#143 OFFLINE   Tubaman-Z

Tubaman-Z

Godfather

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:22 PM

I thought that this may be of interest to this thread:

http://www.foxnews.c...intcmp=trending

Kevin

My top 5 wishlist: 1) Free MRV HR to HR 2) Fix Channels I Receive so that it is accurate 3) > 50 SeriesLink 4) Usage of both internal and external drives concurrently 5) Support for other video providers as DoD (i.e. Hulu, CBS)   

DirecTV HR21-200, 2008 (DirecTV anniversary gift)
DirecTV HR20-100 (2TB eSATA), 2007
DirecTV since 1995

<><

#144 OFFLINE   EW800

EW800

AllStar

• Registered
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:08 PM

After reading this thread, I though what the heck - can't hurt to try. I called a rep and just stated that I was hoping to reduce my monthly expenses a bit and wondering if there was anything they could do to help me bring down my bill. She put me on hold for a few minutes and then came back on the line saying there would be no problem giving me bill credits of $15 for the next 12 months. I am only on the Choice plan currently, so I thought that was not too bad. :)
DirecTV
2 - HR24-100's
1 - H24-100
1 - H21-200

Protected By... spam firewall...And...