Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Mousing over a link to verify destination no longer safe

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

SayWhat - you're absolutely correct. Unfortunately, IE6 still has a significant foothold in Asia, especially China.

Posted Image

You can get an update graphic at http://www.ie6countdown.com/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:11 AM

Your listening to all the Mainstream BS my friend.....

IE6 is just as good as any newer OVER-BLOATED browser! (As long as you have your security zone set right)

IE6 is not spying on the end user... YOU CANT SAY THAT FOR SURE ABOUT THESE NEWER BROWSERS!

And actually I think we can say that Firefox and Chromium are not spying on the end user (other than the normal cookie issue). They are open source. If they were, someone would have seen it in the source code by now and said something publicly. You can't say the same thing for IE6. It's closed source. Not that I think it does, I just think its a bad browser. Firefox is also popular with security professionals.

And correct. Someone even held a "funeral" for IE6. Microsoft sent flowers. Unfortunately, just because XP and IE6 will end of life next year, it won't necessarily change those that use it, until their PC does and they get one with a newer OS.

Of course in China, most of the installations are likely pirated.

Edited by dpeters11, 24 March 2013 - 08:52 AM.

#23 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:46 AM

China? Pirated? Tell me it's not true! :)

#24 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:59 AM

Ford's site (the one for employees) just in the last couple months finally list ie8 as "supported".. last year it was still 6..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#25 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,919 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 March 2013 - 10:22 AM

More are finally moving. A few may be going too far. One site we use started saying "modern web browser required". Only supported version of IE is 10. We have installed Chrome for those users.

We're actually still moving users off XP now, though we left IE 6 a long time ago.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...