Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What is the DirecTV "VIP Package"

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 08:47 AM

I think Titanium was all channels with NO black outs.

It mainly was to put a price on the cost of the hacked boxes / cards that got all channels.

Titanium exists currentlly as a grandfathered package and that is the rules on DNS, DNS channels available only if service address qualifies - I checked before I posted.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Brubear

Brubear

Legend

• Registered
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

something else came to mind that may be in the customer's reference. DirecTV has channels that open only to certain pre-qualified individuals. For instance some Native American tribes used to have a weekly broadcast on a specific channel which was only available to accounts that had that tag on their services. That could be what she is referring to as well - a specific broadcast or series of broadcasts that is only available and veiwable to those tagged accounts. For example, look at channel 575 on the guide at DirecTV.com - it's a part time broadcast for the Seminole Tribe.

my comments and opinions are my own and do not suggest endorsement by my employer

#23 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,243 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 06:32 PM

Since it was an official package there had to be some blackouts due to contracts (as well as legal issues when it came to DNS since it was around the same time the FCC started cracking down on DNS rules). i.e. someone in CSN Philly territory would still be blacked out of the games, and I doubt they got any of the private network broadcasts in the 570s.

I have seen clips other teams feed / national feed of games on the local news even when a game is on a local channel / local RSN (with the national feed blacked out) So there some ways to get around the black outs with no breaking the law.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#24 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,496 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 22 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

I have seen clips other teams feed / national feed of games on the local news even when a game is on a local channel / local RSN (with the national feed blacked out) So there some ways to get around the black outs with no breaking the law.

Local news stations usually aren't recording the games themselves -- they get clip packages from one of the news services they subscribe to.
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#25 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,455 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 23 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

Local news stations usually aren't recording the games themselves -- they get clip packages from one of the news services they subscribe to.

I have talked to the engineer at one of our local stations and know for a fact that they use a high end HD capture card (utilizing component cables from the HD cable box/receiver) and make there own highlights for some local sports highlights.

They always do this for games that air on CSS HD because CSS (owned by NBCUniversal) will not provide them a HD highlight even if they request it and are willing to pay for it! (I think they might provide DVD quality SD highlights to stations)

They have both Comcast and DirecTV at the studio so they can also get the Fox Sports South Alt / Plus and SportSouth Alt / Plus HD feeds (to capture if they know they won't be getting highlights quick enough for the newscast) because the Grizzles, Predators, and some college games are usually dumped on an Alt that the local Comcast will not show so they have to get it from D*. Of course they have to have Comcast service to capture games from CSS HD because unfortunately D* doesn't carry the channel.

I assume they are getting permission to use these clips they create, they generally always will say Courtesy of: Fox Sports, SportSouth, Comcast Sports South, etc. when they air although a few times I have noticed the wrong attribution given which will be for another network then where the highlight comes from. Also, the highlights they do get from the service generally have inferior picture quality and look like widescreen SD, the ones they capture themselves always look noticeably better in HD quality.

Edited by coolman302003, 23 March 2013 - 03:05 AM.

List of networks with HD VOD content available on DIRECTV   DIRECTV Customer Service Live Online Chat (available from 8am-1am ET)   DIRECTV Regional Sports Network (RSN) fee lookup tool (zip code required)

DIRECTV Premium Channel Pricing: 1=$13.99 ($17.99 for HBO) | 2=$25 ($30 with HBO) | 3=$35 ($40 with HBO) | 4=$43 ($48 with HBO) | All 5=$55 per month 

My Setup: 5-LNB SlimLine with SWM-16 | HR44-700 w/AM-21N | HR24-200 | H25-100 | H25-100 | C41-500

Protected By... spam firewall...And...