Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic eyes Plasma Exit

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 21 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

I see what you are saying but with that logic a projection screen in a theater would need to have some outrageous resolution. I'm no expert on this but viewing distance has to be factored into the equation at some point. My example is that as you get closer to a large screen you can see individual pixels and things may look like crap, but as you move away those pixels appear to be closer together and the picture looks fine. Obviously more resolution would be desirable but I certainly don't find 65" plasma too big for 1080P at 8-10' viewing distance. It may look poor with SD content, particularly if it is heavily compressed, but with a good source it looks excellent.

If I were to put in a projection system in a theater, it would have to have expensive line scalers again because 1080 "just dont cut it" above 60" for me. Anyone remember back in the days of LD's and projection systems and the Faroudja line doublers/ etc...? I would need the modern equivalent of that in the digital world.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   coolman302003

coolman302003

2014 NBA CHAMPIONS!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,160 posts
  • LocationSoutheast

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:02 AM

A few updates:

Panasonic's restructuring plan will let it keep making TVs, for now

Panasonic stays in TV business, chairman resigning

UPDATE 2-Panasonic falls short of announcing job cuts in business plan

Panasonic to Pare Unprofitable Units (Subscription required to read)

http://e.nikkei.com/...328D2803F04.htm (Subscription required to read)

#43 ONLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,650 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:31 AM

If I were to put in a projection system in a theater, it would have to have expensive line scalers again because 1080 "just dont cut it" above 60" for me. Anyone remember back in the days of LD's and projection systems and the Faroudja line doublers/ etc...? I would need the modern equivalent of that in the digital world.

While there is some truth to that...there is also another truth...there comes a tipping point where the image reproduction gain exceeds the ability of most people to recognize the difference and/or accept the costs to produce it.

As one who routinely views images on a quality 116" HD projection system...I always need to remind myself that most folks don't have the obsession for perfection that others do at DBSTalk when it comes to video, audio, and related technology.

Having seen 4K resolution firsthand with 4K content...the imagery is clearly better than 1080p. Yet, the cost to produce it exponentially exceeds 1080p's best image production at time. For that reason alone...it's years away.

Circling back to the topic at hand...

Plasma displays have been dying a slow death in the market for some time. Panasonic is not the first manufacturer to head out the door on plasma. Folks sometimes forget that tech moves on.

Edited by hdtvfan0001, 31 March 2013 - 03:36 AM.

DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#44 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 04 April 2013 - 05:29 PM

Just got the new Panasonic 50" ST60... this set is phenomenal. Early indications are hinting it's equal to and possibly a tad better than the highly touted VT50 from 2012.

At only $999, it's a steal.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#45 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,529 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

It is. I just read this excellent review of the 42ST60, which sells for the equivalent of $1380 (£900) in the UK. Sounds like your eyes are in for a real treat. Enjoy!
/steve

#46 ONLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:34 PM

Just got the new Panasonic 50" ST60... this set is phenomenal. Early indications are hinting it's equal to and possibly a tad better than the highly touted VT50 from 2012.

sig,
Mind me asking where you purchased from?

thanks

#47 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,906 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 10 April 2013 - 06:45 PM

sig,
Mind me asking where you purchased from?

thanks

Best Buy... ordered online and picked it up about an hour later.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#48 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:35 AM

Panasonic just keeps making their plasmas better and better but consumers are largely ill-informed, so we're faced with the prospect of them abandoning the technology (and possibly the entire product sector) because of poor sales. Every time someone comes to me for a TV recommendation and I tell them to start with Panny Plasmas I hear the same thing "I was told LED is better" "they'll have burn-in (incorrect terminology)", "they're too heavy", etc. Despite the fact that I'm widely accepted as the "Technology Guy" (or more commonly geek or nerd) by my friends and family it takes a lot to convince them otherwise. I'm often successful but not always as the amount FUD seems almost overwhelming.

I know there are other good choices, but you really can't get close to the same picture performance with LED/LCD unless you spend a LOT more money.

#49 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:47 AM

Circling back to the topic at hand...

Plasma displays have been dying a slow death in the market for some time. Panasonic is not the first manufacturer to head out the door on plasma. Folks sometimes forget that tech moves on.

Yeah, tech does move on. But usually it is something better and at least price competitive, which is not the case right now.

Plasma is on the way out, that seems a forgone conclusion, but yet a 'better' tech isn't really there yet. OLED seems to be the next big thing, yet after lots of years still isn't ready for the consumer market, or any other market it seems.

And no, LCD/LED isn't a 'better' tech, imo.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#50 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,529 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

Panasonic just keeps making their plasmas better and better but consumers are largely ill-informed, so we're faced with the prospect of them abandoning the technology (and possibly the entire product sector) because of poor sales. Every time someone comes to me for a TV recommendation and I tell them to start with Panny Plasmas I hear the same thing "I was told LED is better" "they'll have burn-in (incorrect terminology)", "they're too heavy", etc. Despite the fact that I'm widely accepted as the "Technology Guy" (or more commonly geek or nerd) by my friends and family it takes a lot to convince them otherwise. I'm often successful but not always as the amount FUD seems almost overwhelming.

There's also FUD about power consumption. E.g., a 42S60 draws 109 watts average. Maybe more than a comparable LED, but not bad, IMO. Especially compared to what we were using with our CRTs 10 years ago.

I know there are other good choices, but you really can't get close to the same picture performance with LED/LCD unless you spend a LOT more money.

At least 1.5x the price (or more), based on what I saw last time I was in the store.

Edited by Steve, 11 April 2013 - 06:54 AM.

/steve

#51 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,665 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Or the plasma leaks over time, etc. Of course there is a lifespan, but a person is going to upgrade before reaching the halflife. Or the electronics will fail.

Though, does Plasma still have an issue with altitude, like in Colorado (higher than Denver)?

#52 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,944 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:26 PM

Or the plasma leaks over time, etc. Of course there is a lifespan, but a person is going to upgrade before reaching the halflife.

The 2012 Panasonic plasmas have a half-life of 100,000 hours. I don't plan on upgrading until 4k is the norm.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard Internet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device, Xbox 360 

#53 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,665 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Right, and 100,000 hours is 11 years if it's left on 24/7 the entire time. By the time you hit 100,000, 4k will have come and gone.

#54 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

Right, and 100,000 hours is 11 years if it's left on 24/7 the entire time. By the time you hit 100,000, 4k will have come and gone.

I think Panasonic says 6 hours of viewing a day to get to their mark of 42 years of service.

Rich

#55 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,433 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:52 PM

All 8 of mine are in Vivid mode and I don't see burn in at all.

Rich

Holy Crap, why?

I dont think anyone's getting my point....its not about viewing distance at all. Take a low res image or video, lets say 360x200 pixels, roughly the digital equivalent of 16:9 VHS....and display it on a 9" portable screen, looks fine, in fact it probably looks pretty good. Now playback that same image/video on a 70" screen, it looks absolutely terrible, like watching a bad youtube video. It has nothing to do with viewing distance. To me, when you start getting over 60" screens, 1080 resolution doesnt cut it anymore.

Incorrect. That image on a 9" portable screen from 12" away will look exactly the same on a 70" screen from 20' away. It's all about viewing distance versus screen size.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#56 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 04:18 PM

http://www.engadget....lasma-tv-death/

I tried to find a link to the actual press release / statement but no luck so far. I just hope this is accurate and they continue to invest R&D dollars in the their plasma line.

#57 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,529 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

Incorrect. That image on a 9" portable screen from 12" away will look exactly the same on a 70" screen from 20' away. It's all about viewing distance versus screen size.

Bingo. Similarly, sitting 12' away from a 60" 4k screen isn't going to look any better than sitting 12' away from a 1080p (or even 768p) screen. It's all a marketing ploy by the hardware manufacturers to get you to replace perfectly good equipment.
/steve

#58 ONLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 718 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

[quote name='spartanstew']Holy Crap, why?

I was wondering the same thing[?]

I believe Rich and I have the same model and I like cinema. Of course I have seen some posters say they use game mode.

All personal preference:)

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:01 AM

http://www.engadget....lasma-tv-death/

I tried to find a link to the actual press release / statement but no luck so far. I just hope this is accurate and they continue to invest R&D dollars in the their plasma line.

Me too. I was beginning to think this would be another massive mistake like Sony's Beta-Max snafu. Or Apple's mistakes in the middle-late 80s when they were (and still are) very worried that allowing processes to be run by Macs would be their ruin...and almost was.

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,413 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:16 AM

[quote name='satcrazy'][quote name='spartanstew']Holy Crap, why?

I was wondering the same thing[?]

I believe Rich and I have the same model and I like cinema. Of course I have seen some posters say they use game mode.

All personal preference:)[/QUOTE]

You're right, it is a personal preference. I've tried the Cinema mode and didn't like it. I've tried everything, I've used the calibration discs and I/we like the Vivid mode. All five of my 720p sets had what we considered perfect pictures when we bought them and they still have the same settings they had when they came out of the box. The 3 1080p sets I have, I did have to adjust some settings, tried all the modes and still use Vivid. Last time I had my 60" Panny in Cinema mode, my wife asked me what was wrong with the set.

I've also read articles (I have no links, you'll just have to take my word for this) by Panasonic people or on Panasonic sites that actually recommended Vivid in order to take advantage of the plasma's beautiful colors.

The last time I used a calibration disc, I ended up in Cinema mode and was told that it would take 6 weeks to get used to it. That was my last try using calibration discs.

I don't smoke, drink alcohol, use my cell phone in the car, eat broccoli. Just personal preferences, I don't try to force people to think they should follow my example.

Rich

spam firewall