Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Panasonic eyes Plasma Exit

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Y

I have a Pioneer PD-P5080HD which I was to sell this week so I could get the Panasonic TC-P50GT50 which is 1080P from last year's line up.  The reason was that image of 768P could better ( my reasoning ) by getting a 1080P Panasonic.  What is your opinion??? Is is very important to me and  maybe shall break or make a deal. :rolling:Is this a real upgrade?

That's a very tough question to answer, how far away do you sit from the TV and what is your primary sources for content. One of my Pioneers is a 50" 768 set and from 8 ft away with a sat HD feed I really don't know if the 1080 set would be any better. Unless you are getting a really good price for your Pioneer I think I'd hold on to it and wait for this next years Pannys to be on closeout, or even longer. :-)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   RG6-Q

RG6-Q

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPUERTO RICO

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

Y
That's a very tough question to answer, how far away do you sit from the TV and what is your primary sources for content. One of my Pioneers is a 50" 768 set and from 8 ft away with a sat HD feed I really don't know if the 1080 set would be any better. Unless you are getting a really good price for your Pioneer I think I'd hold on to it and wait for this next years Pannys to be on closeout, or even longer. :-)

I sit 9-10 feet from monitor.  I watch TV though a 722K and always watch HD, cannot see SD.  The blacks are great.  My receiver is set to 1080i which fits perfect with a 768P.  I also watch Blu Rays, but use the 722K 95% of the time.  I really don't care about all the WEB features on the Panny mentioned.  Will I see a better image on DISH with this GT series HDTV I am keeping the eye on???  That is my concern.   :rolling:

So you think with the GT I would not say WOW in image quality????.  I also wanted to mention that all I use is HDMI connections and I have calibrated the set myself for night use ( I don't watch during the day ).  My setup does not put any reflection on the glass and I have a dimmed light behind set.  The 5080 has about 10,000 hours or less of use.

Now that you have the facts, WITHOUT  putting the money factor in between, what would you do.  Thanks.

Edited by RG6-Q, 02 May 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#83 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

I sit 9-10 feet from monitor.  I watch TV though a 722K and always watch HD, cannot see SD.  The blacks are great.  My receiver is set to 1080i which fits perfect with a 768P.  I also watch Blu Rays, but use the 722K 95% of the time.  I really don't care about all the WEB features on the Panny mentioned.  Will I see a better image on DISH with this GT series HDTV I am keeping the eye on???  That is my concern.   :rolling:

So you think with the GT I would not say WOW in image quality????.  I also wanted to mention that all I use is HDMI connections and I have calibrated the set myself for night use ( I don't watch during the day ).  My setup does not put any reflection on the glass and I have a dimmed light behind set.  The 5080 has about 10,000 hours or less of use.

Now that you have the facts, WITHOUT  putting the money factor in between, what would you do.  Thanks.

That's a tough choice, you aren't likely to see a huge jump in PQ when fed from the 722K (or any other non-1080P source for that matter) so I would probably just hang on to your Pioneer for now. If you did decide to buy a new Panasonic though I would probably wait until at least the new models are out and I would suggest you buy the VT series so you have more access to calibration controls which are lacking in the lower-end models. 

• RG6-Q likes this

#84 OFFLINE   RG6-Q

RG6-Q

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationPUERTO RICO

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

That's a tough choice, you aren't likely to see a huge jump in PQ when fed from the 722K (or any other non-1080P source for that matter) so I would probably just hang on to your Pioneer for now. If you did decide to buy a new Panasonic though I would probably wait until at least the new models are out and I would suggest you buy the VT series so you have more access to calibration controls which are lacking in the lower-end models. 

I will keep it for now.  Your input was very helpful.  Thank you very much.

#85 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 09 October 2013 - 04:26 AM

http://www.reuters.c...E99801720131009

#86 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

Looks like Panasonic has confirmed it and it's happening very quickly. If anyone is in the market for a new TV larger than 40", particularly if you have a discriminating eye, you better plan on getting one soon or be prepared to wait a long time for something better. I guess the Sammy will still be around for some period of time, and their high-end plasma displays are pretty darned good, but this still stinks - even if we knew it was coming for a while now.

http://www.theverge....-production-end

Edited by bobukcat, 31 October 2013 - 07:12 AM.

#87 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:28 AM

Ya. We were also discussing it here. Apparently the theoretical power requirements for a 4k plasma would be prohibitive.

/steve

#88 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

Looks like Panasonic has confirmed it and it's happening very quickly. If anyone is in the market for a new TV larger than 40", particularly if you have a discriminating eye, you better plan on getting one soon or be prepared to wait a long time for something better. I guess the Sammy will still be around for some period of time, and their high-end plasma displays are pretty darned good, but this still stinks - even if we knew it was coming for a while now.

http://www.theverge....-production-end

I wouldn't count on Samsung holding out much longer. I think this just brings the end to Plasma much closer.

#89 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Based on the Panasonic announcement, I pulled the trigger on a 65ZT, which was delivered today. It's waiting to be unboxed and set-up and will replace my calibrated 65S1, likely by the week-end. The S1 is going to my daughter's home.

/steve

#90 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

I wonder if this guy's uncle ever opened his Kuro. Too bad we'll never know.

http://www.dbstalk.c...-about-this-tv/

#91 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,954 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 November 2013 - 09:26 AM

I wouldn't count on Samsung holding out much longer. I think this just brings the end to Plasma much closer.

Maybe I missed the discussion of this part: Why are plasmas on their way out? Is LED at the point of a comparable picture? Or is OLED going to hit the market at affordable prices? Or.....?

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#92 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

Maybe I missed the discussion of this part: Why are plasmas on their way out? Is LED at the point of a comparable picture? Or is OLED going to hit the market at affordable prices? Or.....?

Seems to be mainly because Panasonic is losing money or not making enough money on plasmas.  Having seen a couple of their LCDs, a horrid experience, it seems like a blunder.  Money rules tho.  I'd guess that we should be waiting for the plasma patents to be sold to someone and then check out those plasmas.  I cannot believe that just because Panasonic stops making them every manufacturer will.  

Rich

#93 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

Oled is on the market now at ridiculously high prices that are starting to fall rapidly.  A fourteen thousand dollar set was recently reduced to nine thousand and is now at eight thousand.  I think it's an LG set.  Still way too much money.

Rich

#94 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 11:27 AM

According to this, it's because energy requirements to drive a 4k plasma would be prohibitive.

We asked Panasonic about 4K plasma a while ago, and it said that while it would be possible, it would have some monstrous power requirements. And for that reason it would probably never happen as modern eco rules and ratings simply make it impractical.

/steve

#95 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 06 November 2013 - 03:01 PM

Seems to be mainly because Panasonic is losing money or not making enough money on plasmas.  Having seen a couple of their LCDs, a horrid experience, it seems like a blunder.  Money rules tho.  I'd guess that we should be waiting for the plasma patents to be sold to someone and then check out those plasmas.  I cannot believe that just because Panasonic stops making them every manufacturer will.  

Rich

I've still seen a lot of misconceptions on Plasma, and they don't demo as well in the standard big box store with it's lighting etc as an LED. Whether they are right or not, what consumers believe have an effect.

#96 OFFLINE   gov

gov

Legend

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 05:54 PM

I was just getting all weepy about VCRs and Blockbuster, and now this.

Argh.

FWIW, one of the very first plasmas I ever installed, a 42" Panny with no speakers or tuner is still working.  The picture is disturbingly dim, and the set is now relocated to a garage (wall mount, HD satellite, and a modest JBL surround system) and is living out it's days as a weekend sports venue for the neighbors.

I believe small quantities of beer are involved too.

As the sign says, I know beer will change the world, I don't know how, but it will!

#97 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,127 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 07 November 2013 - 11:16 AM

I've still seen a lot of misconceptions on Plasma, and they don't demo as well in the standard big box store with it's lighting etc as an LED. Whether they are right or not, what consumers believe have an effect.

They do look bad in our local Costcos compared to the LCDs.  One of our local 6th Avenue stores used to have dark rooms where you could compare LCDs and plasmas fairly and the plasmas always looked better.  Wasn't just my opinion, just about everyone in those dimly lit rooms was in front of a plasma.

Rich

#98 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,315 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

Exactly. Best Buy does the same thing with Magnolia.

#99 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,849 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 02:29 PM

Plasma is better than LCD. Led is better than LCD (yes I know its light sourcing is what's really different) but it's still not plasma. With that said led do cost a heck of a lot less to run.

#100 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

Plasma is better than LCD. Led is better than LCD (yes I know its light sourcing is what's really different) but it's still not plasma. With that said led do cost a heck of a lot less to run.

I was pleasantly surprised by the energy sticker on my new 65ZT60 plasma.

65zt60.jpg

/steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...