Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Fox News vs CNN Picture Quality

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:42 AM

I could be wrong...it has happened before. :)

Maybe it's what I've seen, but the couple of times I've seen 4K it hasn't blown me away. If I look real carefully I can see the difference between it and 1080p from a BluRay disc but for general viewing...meh. The one time I saw 8K, however, I was amazed at the detail. The 4K was on screens ranging from 64 to 152 inches (including a Sony 84" LED, which I understand is a little less than 4K). The 8k was on Sharp's 85" prototype.

But the real issue, IMHO is the massive screen sizes required before the higher resolution really becomes apparent. On a 64" display (which I think is the largest "mainstream" size) the difference is really imperceptible. You do have to get up into the 80" screen sizes to get the real benefit. Most people are simply not going to have TVs that big in their living room. I think both 4K and/or 8K won't become mainstream until we have OLED screens that can be applied to a wall like wallpaper (which is years, if not decades, away). Until then, people will keep buying 1080p sets and that's all anybody will broadcast. 4K or 8K will be the enthusiasts' domain until then.

What do you think would happen if the 4K sets suddenly came down to the price of a high end LCD LED, or better yet, a high end plasma? You have to admit $22,000 for a TV is a bit ridiculous.

Rich

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   raj2001

raj2001

Icon/Supporter

• Registered
  • 929 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:01 AM

That was shelved when Rupert was read the riot act by certain members of Congress and the FCC who informed him that the big, beautiful 6 mhz channel was for HD, with the occasional sub channel, and that if he refused to do HD, the Fox stations would not be awarded that much bandwidth.

I never heard that. May be true or not, who knows. I doubt that would be the case now though, given that the FCC wants spectrum taken away from TV broadcasters.

As for Fox News. I started working at Fox News before it went HD. Fox Business launched with an HD channel in 2007. New facilities were built for that channel. Fox News also had to have new facilities built. We finally decommissioned the last old SD control room like 2-3 years ago (may be longer than that.) It was a really old small room with CRT monitors and the like. The new one is really nice with large LCD monitors and it is huge. State of the art everything. Around the same time we started transitioning everything over to a tapeless newsroom. The bureaus had to be outfitted with new HD gear as well as Manhattan and Secaucus NJ. That took time and planning.

Part of the reason Fox News looks different on HD is because the graphics were changed up when Fox News went to a widescreen format only. The ticker was made larger and graphics were adjusted to be readable on SD TVs. It isn't purely resolution. It's the whole package. I don't think CNN changed up theirs but I don't watch them all that much.

Shepard Smith was the first one to go full HD and everyone else followed later. We had an "HD wing" thing where we'd display the SD picture and a sidebar to fill the screen space with news headlines. That lasted a few months until everything was converted to HD. I believe Business still has theirs.

#43 OFFLINE   mnassour

mnassour

Icon

• Registered
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:07 AM

This is the real issue with picture quality...the video stream may be 1080x1920 and delivered as a progressive scan stream, and still look like garbage. There is far more to picture quality than resolution, pixel density, scan rates and types and data rates.

THANK you ma'am. This needs to be posted as a sticky at the top of EVERY forum where picture quality is discussed.:goodjob:

#44 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

What do you think would happen if the 4K sets suddenly came down to the price of a high end LCD LED, or better yet, a high end plasma? You have to admit $22,000 for a TV is a bit ridiculous.

Rich

If I had all the answers I'd be running Panasonic. :)

Personally, even if we could buy a 84" TV for the price of a 60" plasma today, I can't think of a place where having such a huge display would be acceptable. I sure wouldn't want it in my living room. It's one thing to see these displays on a convention floor, but in your house they will literally dominate a room. Think of it this way...an 84" TV is like stacking FOUR 42" displays, two high and two wide. That's not big, that's monsterous!

In my opinion there is also a lot of catching up yet to be done in the marketplace. At this point, there is about a 75% penetration of HD sets in the marketplace, but less than 50% penetration of HD content (IOW, a third of all the people with HDTVs are watching SD on them, exclusively). Many "cablecasters" are still in the process of converting to HD transmission equipment, and those that have made the transition are still paying off the investment. I think everyone will want to get a minimum of another 5 years of use out of the current equipment before making investments in the infrastructure to handle 4 to 8 times the data rates. So I really don't see 4K or 8K being widely adopted for a long time.

I honestly think you'll see the "beyond HD" resolutions following the 3D pattern. Some people will buy in, but the format will be primarily a Blu-Ray format for quite a while.

In the final analysis, 4K is being pushed by the CE manufacturers for the same reason as 3D: the profit margins on 1080p displays have been trimmed to the bone and this is a way to keep the price points up.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#45 OFFLINE   mitchflorida

mitchflorida

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 423 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 12:52 PM

I doubt if Rupert Murdoch could program his own VCR let alone be a technical guru on whether to use 1080i or 720p or stay with SD. It's all chicken feed for a huge conglomerate like News Corp and they will upgrade to the next "newest thing" if and when the competition does.

#46 OFFLINE   George_T

George_T

Legend

• Registered
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 01:48 PM

Fox in 720p... it's a right-wing conspiracy somehow! ;)

#47 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

If I had all the answers I'd be running Panasonic. :)

Personally, even if we could buy a 84" TV for the price of a 60" plasma today, I can't think of a place where having such a huge display would be acceptable. I sure wouldn't want it in my living room. It's one thing to see these displays on a convention floor, but in your house they will literally dominate a room. Think of it this way...an 84" TV is like stacking FOUR 42" displays, two high and two wide. That's not big, that's monsterous!

In my opinion there is also a lot of catching up yet to be done in the marketplace. At this point, there is about a 75% penetration of HD sets in the marketplace, but less than 50% penetration of HD content (IOW, a third of all the people with HDTVs are watching SD on them, exclusively). Many "cablecasters" are still in the process of converting to HD transmission equipment, and those that have made the transition are still paying off the investment. I think everyone will want to get a minimum of another 5 years of use out of the current equipment before making investments in the infrastructure to handle 4 to 8 times the data rates. So I really don't see 4K or 8K being widely adopted for a long time.

I honestly think you'll see the "beyond HD" resolutions following the 3D pattern. Some people will buy in, but the format will be primarily a Blu-Ray format for quite a while.

In the final analysis, 4K is being pushed by the CE manufacturers for the same reason as 3D: the profit margins on 1080p displays have been trimmed to the bone and this is a way to keep the price points up.

Thanx, that cleared the topic up very well.

Rich

#48 OFFLINE   danegerous25

danegerous25

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:33 AM

Ill chime in since i work for FSN. We use 720p because people above my pay grade decided it worked and looked better for sports and such. Also after talking to people that work in our transmissions dept, we have equipment only meant to work with 720p. Any time we get a signal source that uses 1080 i/p we down-convert it work with our equipment. I assume might as well have everybody on the same page regardless of what they are doing.

#49 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,457 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 22 March 2013 - 11:51 AM

Yeah. But it's awesome for watching the Sunday Ticket Game Mix channel (especially on weeks where there are only 4 late games on).

#50 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 March 2013 - 01:53 PM

Yeah. But it's awesome for watching the Sunday Ticket Game Mix channel (especially on weeks where there are only 4 late games on).

Spoken like a guy. :)

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

#51 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,546 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 March 2013 - 02:55 PM

That is awfully sexist, Ms. Diana, especially for a self-proclaimed sports fan.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#52 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 22 March 2013 - 03:26 PM

I can't tell you what my wife just said about an 84" TV. Wasn't pretty.

Rich

#53 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:42 PM

Personally, even if we could buy a 84" TV for the price of a 60" plasma today, I can't think of a place where having such a huge display would be acceptable. I sure wouldn't want it in my living room. It's one thing to see these displays on a convention floor, but in your house they will literally dominate a room.

A tv is never too big....its your room thats too small.

#54 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,826 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

That is awfully sexist, Ms. Diana, especially for a self-proclaimed sports fan.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Me??? A sports fan? I'm only a Yankees fan...I don't watch football or basketball if I can help it.

:D

It may be sexist, but that doesn't mean it isn't true. :)

(just look at the post above). ;)

Current setup:

#55 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:58 AM

Rich

I think I know what she said.:rolleyes:

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#56 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:04 PM

I think I know what she said.:rolleyes:

Yeah, there were a couple F-bombs (not normal for her) and much questioning of my sanity.... :lol:

Rich

#57 ONLINE   cmasia

cmasia

Icon

• Registered
  • 690 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

Rich

Hopefully, you only want a 60", and used the scare of an 84" as a ploy! "))

#58 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,911 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:13 PM

Yeah, there were a couple F-bombs (not normal for her) and much questioning of my sanity.... :lol:

Rich

Always best to pick your battles. Of course some wives would question the sanity of 12 DVRs.

#59 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:38 PM

Hopefully, you only want a 60", and used the scare of an 84" as a ploy! "))

I've got a 60" and a 58". Didn't want an 84" set, just was curious after reading Diana C's post as to what my wife would say about it.

Rich

#60 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,591 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 March 2013 - 12:47 PM

Always best to pick your battles. Of course some wives would question the sanity of 12 DVRs.

She loves MRV, doesn't care about the number of DVRs, understands my ongoing lack of faith in the HRs (altho that's changing) and tells anyone that will listen to her how wonderful it is to be able to watch shows from any TV in the house.

But, I gotta admit, she does question my sanity at times. When I fully explained why I asked her about the 84" set, she quickly calmed down.

Until something changes my mind, I'll stick with CC's opinion of larger than 60" sets.

Rich

Protected By... spam firewall...And...