Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New coax cabling for Genie

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jgkurz

jgkurz

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:51 AM

I am trying to think through what RG6 coax cabling I will need for a new Directv Genie install. I prefer to run my own cabling to the receivers and dish. Here's my confusion. I have seen HR44 and HR34 diagrams with one SAT-In and two SAT-In connections.

This thread seems to indicate I need 4x coax to the dish and one coax to each receiver if I use SWM.

Just to confirm:

1) How many RG6 coax cables will be needed for each Genie and mini-Genie?

2) How many RG6 coax cables do I need to run to the dish?

Thank you!

Edited by jgkurz, 19 March 2013 - 09:05 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:43 AM

Assuming you are running just a Genie and Genie clients you will only need one RG6 from the dish to a central point, and one RG6 from each TV location to the central point. However the SWM LNB is limited to 8 tuners so expansion would be limited to three more tuners. If this is new construction or if you are doing a lot of work such as wall fishing I would run 2 to each TV location and 5 or 6 to the dish location for future proofing.
My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   jgkurz

jgkurz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:04 AM

Assuming you are running just a Genie and Genie clients you will only need one RG6 from the dish to a central point, and one RG6 from each TV location to the central point. However the SWM LNB is limited to 8 tuners so expansion would be limited to three more tuners. If this is new construction or if you are doing a lot of work such as wall fishing I would run 2 to each TV location and 5 or 6 to the dish location for future proofing.

Thank you for the response!

I don't see ever needing to go past 6 tuners so SWM should work. All would be Genie type.

What would I need for a Genie type dish if I don't care about future proofing? 4x coax?

#4 OFFLINE   longrider

longrider

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,281 posts
  • LocationElizabeth, CO

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:16 AM

There is nothing special about the dish for a Genie. Genie does require SWM so if you know 6 tuners are all you will ever need 1 coax is plenty as you would run the SWM LNB. The 4 coax comes into play when you need more than 8 tuners which requires a SWM16 switch which requires the 4 coax from the dish
My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:48 PM

I don't see ever needing to go past 6 tuners so SWM should work. All would be Genie type.

Make sure that you don't confuse the terms "receiver" and "tuner" with one another. A receiver is a set top box. Each receiver can have multiple tuners (the number of programs that can be viewed or recorded at at time is how many tuners a receiver has).

A Genie is 1 receiver, but it has 5 tuners in it (which is why it can record up to 5 programs at a time). If DirecTV ever permits multiple Genies on an account, you would not be able to add a second Genie with a SWM dish.

To allow for more than 8 tuners in the house, you should run 4 coax lines from the dish location to the switch location. If you are positive that you will never want more than 8 tuners, then you will only need 1 coax from the dish location.

#6 OFFLINE   jgkurz

jgkurz

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Thank you everyone. This is just what I needed.

#7 OFFLINE   dishinitout

dishinitout

Mentor

• Registered
  • 258 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:58 PM

Always run 5-6 lines from dish to distro panel on new construction this allows 4 sat lines if needed down the road ( even though your current setup only needs 1) plus options for OTA, satellite radio, cell booster etc or replacements if something happens to a line down the road ( this recently saved one of my customers hundreds of dollars by thinking ahead with 1 spare line) if you know for sure you will absolutely never need more than 8 runners or if not new construction and running that many lines will be difficult I'd still run 2 lines for spare plus this still give option of a swm16 at the dish if you ever go over 8 tunners. Never run just 1 line unless its easy to rerun.

SL5, SWM16, 1 HR44, 1 HR34, 2 HR24, 2 C31, 1 C41W

#8 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,263 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:34 PM

Always run 5-6 lines from dish to distro panel on new construction this allows 4 sat lines if needed down the road ( even though your current setup only needs 1) plus options for OTA, satellite radio, cell booster etc or replacements if something happens to a line down the road ( this recently saved one of my customers hundreds of dollars by thinking ahead with 1 spare line) if you know for sure you will absolutely never need more than 8 runners or if not new construction and running that many lines will be difficult I'd still run 2 lines for spare plus this still give option of a swm16 at the dish if you ever go over 8 tunners. Never run just 1 line unless its easy to rerun.

^ What he said! :)

One other factor is not only your use, but the use of the people who will own the house beyond you.

One other approach is to use a conduit large enough to hold 5 or 6 coax even though you only put one in now--with a pull line in there so you can add more later as needed.

Peace,
Tom

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...