Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Time to upgrade.....HELP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 01:11 PM

Found I can upgrade to genie so would like to persue. I got questions from all you DBS experts.

What I got:
1 HR21 and 1 HR23 both in living room connected with 2 RG6 cables each (thats 4 total) directly to the dish outside the living room on the eave. No switches, SWM or otherwise. I do not know what LNB I have but the dish was installed in 2009. It appears to have a single double wide LNB.

The HR21 has a small black rectangular box on each of the RG6 cables that plug into the back but the HR23 does not.

What I want:
Move my dish to west side of my house closer to my media junction box. Upgrade 1 reciever (the HR21) to the genie. Connect my second tv in my den to the HR23.

Questions:
Will I need a new LNB/dish?

How many RG6 cables will I need from the dish to the media junction box?

How many RG6 cables from the media junction box to each reciever, HR34 and HR23?

Where will the switch go?

Will this set up allow viewing recorded content from either reciever on either TV?

Is there anything else/new that I should consider adding to my system?

FYI, I already have whole house CAT5 network with hard lines in both rooms where the TV's are.

Thx, Russ
Russ

Tim "the tool man" Taylor is my hero!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:10 PM

Questions:
Will I need a new LNB/dish?

Installer will likely replace existing LNB with SWM LNB.

How many RG6 cables will I need from the dish to the media junction box?

If SWM LNB is used, only 1 cable will come from the dish.

How many RG6 cables from the media junction box to each reciever, HR34 and HR23?

I don't know about your media junction box. But only 1 RG6 will be necessary from the splitter to the individual receivers

Where will the switch go?

The switch will be inside the LNB. There will be a splitter mounted where it's most convenient for the installer

Will this set up allow viewing recorded content from either reciever on either TV?

Yes. If you sign up for Multi-room Viewing.

#3 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:10 PM

Thx Bill, I happened on a diagram at a retail site that sold satelite equipment that was helpfull. I've been out of the loop for a couple years and not so familliar with what is new.

Got a recomendation for which reciever I have I should keep and why? The HR21 or HR23?
Russ

#4 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 March 2013 - 05:10 AM

Of those two, the 23. Larger hard drive, and many feel the 21 is the slowest box of them all.

#5 OFFLINE   jmbrooks

jmbrooks

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 137 posts

Posted 23 March 2013 - 01:28 PM

Will I be able to watch the recorded stuff on the "disconnected" DVR before I return it?
Russ

#6 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 24 March 2013 - 06:19 PM

Will I be able to watch the recorded stuff on the "disconnected" DVR before I return it?

I have this question as well. I'm interested in upgrading to a genie in the near future (currently have two HR24s with MRV) and at any given time we have a bunch of stuff recorded waiting to be viewed. If we upgrade, can we still watch the recorded stuff off the 24s or will we lose all that?

#7 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:04 PM

If you can't watch what's on your existing DVR before the Genie arrives, I would suggest adding the Genie as an additional receiver, rather than as a replacement. Once you are done watching the content of the HR-24, then you can drop it from your account and return it.

This will cost you $6 per month, until you are ready to return it.

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,338 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 March 2013 - 07:18 PM

Plus if you temporarily keep the HR24s, you'll automatically get a swm16, will give you easier flexibility in the future.

#9 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,169 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 24 March 2013 - 08:03 PM

Yes, as long as you keep the HR24s you will be able to watch recordings from them via MRV on any unit, including the Genie. If you ultimately want to get rid of one or both of them, stop recording on them and do all new recordings on the Genie, then just watch the old recordings and when done, deactivate the unit.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...