Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Receiver Activation and Picture Break Up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:42 PM

I just activated a new receiver (HR 24 500) and am seeing some occasional picture break up and pixellation on a number of different channels. The Directv person who was helping me activate it said it was probably just a function of the receiver doing a lot of things in the background right now like downloading guide data. Was he right about that? Can that cause problems with the picture? I'm not seeing it on any other tvs.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Panasonic TC-L32X2, HDMI to C41-100, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,952 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 19 March 2013 - 02:46 PM

I have seen a newly activated DVR be very S-L-O-W to change channels and bring up the guide, and that does clear up in time. However, I have never seen a new DVR have video disruption. I suppose it might be possible, but I think a flaky hard drive is more likely. since you're not seeing it on other receivers it is not likely to be dish alignment. It could also be a bad coaxial connection. If it doesn't clear up in 24 hours I'd think about calling back and getting a service call.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#3 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

Thanks. I didn't think what I was told sounded right.

I have seen a newly activated DVR be very S-L-O-W to change channels and bring up the guide, and that does clear up in time. However, I have never seen a new DVR have video disruption. I suppose it might be possible, but I think a flaky hard drive is more likely. since you're not seeing it on other receivers it is not likely to be dish alignment. It could also be a bad coaxial connection. If it doesn't clear up in 24 hours I'd think about calling back and getting a service call.

AU9, SWM8
Panasonic TH-58PX60U, HDMI to HR44-100, Native, DD, HDMI to Pioneer VSX-1123-k Receiver, Harmony One, Networked with Ethernet Cable, 35/4 Mbps DSL.
Panasonic TH-42PD50U, Component to HR 24-100, Antec MX-1 w. WD10EVDS ESata, Native, DD, DTV Remote.
Whole Home.

#4 OFFLINE   shendley

shendley

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 06:34 PM

Looks like it was probably the coax connection. I thought I had them connected about as well as they could. But the problem appears to have vanished now that I redid the connections. Cool. I wasn't looking forward to having get yet another DVR.

AU9, SWM8
Whole Home.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...