Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

LNB Changeout For HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   mattyq

mattyq

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

All,

These may be VERY basic questions as the technology changes wizz by me. I have a SLIMLINE 5 dish with the old 5 LNB system with 4 outputs (I believe).

Can I switch the LNB only out for a DIRECTV SL3-SWM SlimLine Single Wire Ka/Ku Triple LNB With Built-In Multiswitch?

If so, do I then run the one single wire into the house and split from there with a 4/8 way splitter. WHere does the power supply fit in the loop?

I am hopeful I do not need to put up a new dish.

Also, both of my HD PVRs currently use B-Band converters. Will I still need to have them on those HD sets?

As always, thanks for any and all info!!

Q

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,727 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:30 PM

need to know models of your DVRs

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,643 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

This might be of some interest: http://forums.solids....e-wire-upgrade
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:52 PM

All,

These may be VERY basic questions as the technology changes wizz by me. I have a SLIMLINE 5 dish with the old 5 LNB system with 4 outputs (I believe).

Can I switch the LNB only out for a DIRECTV SL3-SWM SlimLine Single Wire Ka/Ku Triple LNB With Built-In Multiswitch?

Yes the dishes are the same and the LNB can be swapped.

If so, do I then run the one single wire into the house and split from there with a 4/8 way splitter. WHere does the power supply fit in the loop?

That is usually how it is done. A single cable to a central distribution point were you have a splitter. Just remember each DVR is 2 Tuners and the SWiM supports a max of 8 tuners total so you can't run 8 DVRs with an 8 way splitter. The power supply can be pretty much anywhere you just need to ensure that the cable it is attached to is on a power passing port on the splitter.

Also, both of my HD PVRs currently use B-Band converters. Will I still need to have them on those HD sets?

BBC's are not needed on any receivers when using SWiM and have to be removed or the boxes won't work with the SWiM system..

P Smith is right that you need to make sure that ALL of your boxes support SWiM as there is no way to support legacy boxes on a SWiM LNB. Using a SWiM8 you could support legacy boxes.

#5 OFFLINE   mattyq

mattyq

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:00 AM

need to know models of your DVRs

My two receivers are an HR21 and HR24

#6 OFFLINE   mattyq

mattyq

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:09 AM

Yes the dishes are the same and the LNB can be swapped.

That is usually how it is done. A single cable to a central distribution point were you have a splitter. Just remember each DVR is 2 Tuners and the SWiM supports a max of 8 tuners total so you can't run 8 DVRs with an 8 way splitter. The power supply can be pretty much anywhere you just need to ensure that the cable it is attached to is on a power passing port on the splitter.

BBC's are not needed on any receivers when using SWiM and have to be removed or the boxes won't work with the SWiM system..

P Smith is right that you need to make sure that ALL of your boxes support SWiM as there is no way to support legacy boxes on a SWiM LNB. Using a SWiM8 you could support legacy boxes.

#7 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,918 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 20 March 2013 - 09:47 AM

You're good to go then, as both those models are SWiM capable. In fact all DIRECTV HD receivers, STB and DVR alike are SWiM capable with the exception of the old obsolete 10-250 HD-TIVOs which can't receive any HD programming today anyhow.

#8 OFFLINE   mattyq

mattyq

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 11:26 AM

Thanks to everyone who helped. I have made my order through AMAZON.

spam firewall