Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

On Demand for Dish

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bobby Bearcat

Bobby Bearcat

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

I just recently moved back to Dish after 2 years of issues with my H24 DVR's I had with Direct TV. Although I am happy with the Hopper so far in its speed and ease of use, I was under the impression I could record more shows with a Hopper and 3 Joey's, but I am still left with conflicts all of the time. Especially on Monday nights.

Does anyone use the Prime Time anywhere feature? I am a little scared to try it as I don't want it to fill up my DVR and also possibly cause some issues. Sometimes it takes me a little while to catch up on shows, so I don't want to lose my favorite shows and have them overwritten.

Also, I am less than pleased with the On Demand limitations that Dish is offering. I especially asked the CSS about Showtime On Demand and was told it would be part of my Premium package. I started watching the "Untold History of the United States" and have not finished that series and really do not want to watch it over the internet.

(Gripe Over)

I hope things get better
Dish Network Customer Since 1996
Dish HD in all it's glory
Panasonic 58" TH-58PX600U Plasma Television
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Receiver

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:15 PM

whole PTA for 7 days will take ~250 GB space, what would left plenty space for your personal events - 1 TB

#3 OFFLINE   bmetelsky

bmetelsky

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:53 PM

Also - my understanding is that anything recorded on PTAT will auto delete after 7 or 8 days.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 March 2013 - 11:34 PM

sure, that's the limit for - 250 GB

#5 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:45 AM

PTAT shows delete after 7-8 days UNLESS you have them saved. If you save the show or series it DOES NOT GET DELETED.

Regarding On Demand and Showtime, this ticks me off too. I pay for Showtime yet DISH doesn't have agreements in place to use the SHO app or get Showtime On Demand. HBO, yes, STARZ, yes, SHO, no.

#6 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:49 AM

It takes a bit of fiddling at first to get used to how the Hopper does things and what you need to do in managing recordings, especially those in PTAT.

PTAT deletes shows 8 days after recording automatically. To me that is very nice for many shows as I generally watch them within a week. But there are shows that I collect and watch in bulk at times. For them, inside the PTAT folder, select the show and click on 'save series'. That will save a copy of the show in the user area until you delete it.

With the size of the internal drive you can save a huge amount of programming, and with the addition of an external HD you can archive a ton more in addition. I have an EHD that i use to archive movies and if/when the internal drive starts getting too full.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#7 OFFLINE   Bobby Bearcat

Bobby Bearcat

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:17 AM

Thank You all for the responses. I setup PTAT last evening and I will check and see how it works for me going forward. I do love the option to go into the folder and save certain shows.

Now I just need to make sure I do it consistently :hurah:
Dish Network Customer Since 1996
Dish HD in all it's glory
Panasonic 58" TH-58PX600U Plasma Television
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Receiver

#8 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:25 AM

Also, I am less than pleased with the On Demand limitations that Dish is offering. I especially asked the CSS about Showtime On Demand and was told it would be part of my Premium package. I started watching the "Untold History of the United States" and have not finished that series and really do not want to watch it over the internet.

Yeah, D*'s on demand is much better than E*'s and is one of the things I miss since switching. Hopefully Showtime on Demand will show up when/after CBS and Dish get past their pissing contest over Autohop.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

spam firewall