Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's up with all the overheating issues?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:45 PM

I know there are a lot of older threads about Dish receivers/dvr's getting too hot. Just wondering if Dish has done anything about this. Just had my 722 replaced at just over a year old because of apparent hard drive failure, probably because of it getting too hot (high temp was up to 140 and average was in the 120's before I turned on the laptop cooler I had under it which cooled the average temp to about 105... but I guess it was too late). Mind you, the unit is basically sitting on a bookcase shelf and not in an enclosed area... the tech that came out to check on the problem said that shouldn't cause it to overheat. Anyways, they replaced the 722 with a new 722k. I noticed the design is a little different than the 722 and the fan is barely audible when running so I was thinking that maybe Dish fixed the problem... until I checked the temps. Right now the high is 138, the low is 68 (that was after install) and the average is 111 and has been climbing the last few days :confused:. The unit feels a little hot to the touch so I just ordered one of those fans everyone seems to use to keep it cooler so I don't have it replaced in another year. I guess I'm kinda annoyed that there still seems to be a problem and we have to come up with our own fixes for something Dish should have fixed years ago..... /rant.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

If you were to search this and other forums you will find that this subject has been discussed at length and the methods others have employed to solve and or avoid the issue.

#3 OFFLINE   Orion9

Orion9

Legend

• Registered
  • 195 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

I'm surprised there isn't a setting somewhere to make the fans more aggressive. I just put a little 80mm fan next to mine. It lowered the HD temperature to a level that I am comfortable with.

#4 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:00 AM

If you were to search this and other forums you will find that this subject has been discussed at length and the methods others have employed to solve and or avoid the issue.

I know.... but the latest ones on that subject alone were from like 2009. Just wondering if any improvement has been made by Dish and if not, why?

#5 OFFLINE   LtMunst

LtMunst

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:51 AM

[QUOTE=dttruax;3197343 Just wondering if any improvement has been made by Dish and if not, why?[/QUOTE]

Probably because it is not an issue for the vast majority of customers. I've abused 622/722s for years in cramped cabinets insulated with piles of my kid's dvds. Never ran into overheating problems.
Hopper, Hopper w/Sling, Joey x2

#6 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:43 AM

I know.... but the latest ones on that subject alone were from like 2009. Just wondering if any improvement has been made by Dish and if not, why?

Probably because DISH reuses their leased receiver, if the fan was inadequate when manufactured it is still inadequate when reissued to a new customer. Your 722 has been out of production for years.

#7 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 03:59 PM

well my "brand new" 722k's temp reached a high of 140 and average of 120. Got my external fan in the mail today and hooked it up. Hopefully that will take care of the temp issue.

#8 OFFLINE   Michael P

Michael P

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,929 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

I'm surprised there isn't a setting somewhere to make the fans more aggressive. I just put a little 80mm fan next to mine. It lowered the HD temperature to a level that I am comfortable with.

If they put a more "aggressive" fan in the complaints about the noise would increase. It's a no-win situation for E*. We customers have to use common sense when we set-up our entertainment systems.
An E* subscriber continuously since February 1997.

#9 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 04:42 PM

well my "brand new" 722k's temp reached a high of 140 and average of 120. Got my external fan in the mail today and hooked it up. Hopefully that will take care of the temp issue.

My numbers were actually a little higher than yours, so a few months back I also go a little external (USB) fan, and now I'm at High 123---Low 95---Average 110. No where near as good as some have reported, but good enough for me :)

#10 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:21 PM

My numbers were actually a little higher than yours, so a few months back I also go a little external (USB) fan, and now I'm at High 123---Low 95---Average 110. No where near as good as some have reported, but good enough for me :)

I hope to achieve an average of under 100 although that might be a little ambitious. I also moved the receiver to a more open area so we'll see how it goes.

#11 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 05:24 PM

If they put a more "aggressive" fan in the complaints about the noise would increase. It's a no-win situation for E*. We customers have to use common sense when we set-up our entertainment systems.

I'm not sure just installing a more aggressive fan would solve the overheating problems. I think they also need to have more vents/openings in the case and possibly some sort of better heat sink around the processor and hard drive.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

A few years ago I did analysis air flow, did propose a fix (as engineer) and did implement it; you can find my posts about cooling 622 (it applicable to 722, 722k, etc).
The key are different location and bigger fan with lows speed and voltage.

The solution is still in win-win situation, but echstar don't want to pay royalty :D

Other my solution was move HDD from inside to external box (with own regulating fan) like ezSATA (see my other old thread).

#13 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 341 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

I hope to achieve an average of under 100 although that might be a little ambitious. I also moved the receiver to a more open area so we'll see how it goes.

For a while I was about 5 degrees cooler, but my fan made too much noise at MAX so I backed off a little. YMMV-good luck :)

#14 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 314 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:59 AM

It's leased and under warranty... let it burn.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#15 OFFLINE   dttruax

dttruax

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:03 AM

It's leased and under warranty... let it burn.

And I'm also paying for the service plan (or whatever it's called) :rolleyes:

Just really annoying have trouble watching tv and then having to wait for a tech to come out or for them to send you a new receiver.... not to mention losing everything you've recorded. No thanks. Don't want to do that again, especially when I'm paying over $100/month for the service.

#16 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 12:53 PM

The VIP series, at least the 612's for sure and it seems the 722's do have a heat problem. But I put a small woodstove fan that's meant to run forever (and it has for years) at the box and never a problem since.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,854 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 March 2013 - 01:49 PM

it's a result of bad design and it must be fixed by redesigning or during reconditioning between old lease and new one !

#18 OFFLINE   Kevin Brown

Kevin Brown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 398 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 03:17 PM

The design isn't robust enough. Period. I guess Dish doesn't mind replacing 722's all the time due to this failure.

:lol:

With that said, I only added an inch of additional space under my 2nd 722 for air flow, always out in the open, and my refurb has last a lot longer than the original "brand new" unit I got. So maybe it's a roll of the dice too, if you get a good one or a bad one.

#19 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:48 PM

I notice its usually the Western Digital hard drives that fail. I have replaced a few with Seagates and so far no issues.

#20 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

I picked up a small USB fan when I first got my 722 after seeing the comments. Plugged it into the receiver and aimed it into the left side of the 722. Everything stays nice and cool. The fan was less than $10. I don't need the hassle of having to replace the receiver.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

Protected By... spam firewall...And...